Why Is the Dam Wall Area Constant in Fluid Pressure Calculations?

In summary, the equation uses pressure, area, and depth to calculate the force on the dam wall. The pressure changes according to depth, but the area and depth do not change.
Enzo
Heya folks at Physics forums.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the theory of maths behind a simple formula used in F.M. This is purely a problem dealing with with mathematics rather than fluid dynamics. You'll have to excuse me, I really am a bit slow when it comes to these things, and right now I'm feeling like a complete idiot.

The situation is a basic dam setting. There's a dam wall, and one side of the dam is filled with water. The equation is used in finding the total force created by the water on dam wall.

δF = ρgy*δy

This equation stems from F=PA, where A=y*x, where x=1 in this scenario.
This is later on used with an integration to find the entire force on the dam wall:

(I'm using (S) as the integration sign)

F = ρg (S)y*δy, with the limits being the entire dam wall length in the y direction

What I don't understand is:
Why does the equation small change the length of the wall in respect to the area, rather than to small change the length down the wall in terms of pressure (eg, since pressure changes, why not small change the pressure and keep the dam wall area constant? which would give the equation: δF = ρgδy*y, then integrate that formula over the entire dam wall depth) I know that it would equal the same thing, but still..

Also, since the pressure on the wall changes according to depth, why isn't the depth in the pressure part small changing too? Eg, δF = ρgδy*δy

I apologize if this post is too basic(or stupid), but I'm a bit confused here. Anything you can say that would help me understand would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might help if we first write the pressure as a function of the depth, y:

P(y) = rho*g*y

then to get the differential force, you need to multiply this pressure by an element of area,

dF = P(y) * dA = P(y)*1*dy = rho*g*y * dy

This gets your original form that you seemed to be questioning. As to whether you should write this as rho*g*y*dy or rho*g*dy*y, it really makes no difference since the multiplications are commutative.

I hope this same development also explains why it should not by rho*g*dy*dy; that would be completely wrong.

Related to Why Is the Dam Wall Area Constant in Fluid Pressure Calculations?

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding how fluids flow, their properties, and how they interact with solid objects.

What are the basic equations used in fluid mechanics?

The basic equations used in fluid mechanics are the continuity equation, Euler's equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe the relationship between pressure, velocity, density, and other properties of a fluid.

What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow where the fluid particles move in a straight line, whereas turbulent flow is a chaotic, unpredictable flow where the fluid particles move in a random manner. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is determined by the Reynolds number, which is based on the fluid's velocity, density, and viscosity.

What is the concept of viscosity in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is caused by the internal friction between the fluid particles and is affected by factors such as temperature and the presence of impurities. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, flow slower than low viscosity fluids, such as water.

How is Bernoulli's equation used in practical applications?

Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid, is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the lift force on an airplane wing, designing pumps and turbines, and predicting the flow rate through pipes and channels. It is also used in weather forecasting and studying ocean currents.