Why Is Sin(theta) Squared in This Mechanical Engineering Problem?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem in a mechanical engineering course involving a wedge and a spherical particle. The questioner was confused about the use of sin(theta) squared in the equation and asked for advice on how to solve it. Other users suggested drawing a free body diagram and equating forces to find the correct value of normal reaction. The conversation ended with a question about the reference frame for a2.
Turborrado
Member warned that the homework template must be used
Hi! New to this forum and signed up because I've just started a foundation degree in mechanical engineering, and having been out of education for a very long time beforehand, getting back to grips with mathematics and the like!

Anyway, I would like to ask for some advice on this problem, I know how the top part of the fraction come about, as well as the lower case and upper case m in the lower part of the fraction, but still unsure as to why sin(theta) is squared? Thanks in advance!

IMAG0404.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0404.jpg
    IMAG0404.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 436
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We need to work the whole solution out to tell where does that ##\sin^2 \theta## came from.
So a better way would be that you let us, how you worked out the question and we try to solve your confusion.

Hi and thanks for your reply, I have got as far as identifying that the equation shown for a1 is a rearranged F=ma, to a=F/m , the F being mgsin0cos0 and the m being m the lower part of the fraction.

I know m is the mass of the particle on the wedge and M is the mass of the wedge but fail to see how sin0^2 fits in, I would imagine it would be to so with calculating the mass.

Turborrado said:
Hi and thanks for your reply, I have got as far as identifying that the equation shown for a1 is a rearranged F=ma, to a=F/m , the F being mgsin0cos0 and the m being m the lower part of the fraction.

I know m is the mass of the particle on the wedge and M is the mass of the wedge but fail to see how sin0^2 fits in, I would imagine it would be to so with calculating the mass.
Did you draw a FBD ?

Buffu said:
Did you draw a FBD ?

Here is what I drew, and how far I got. As I understand the surfaces are frictionless so the round particle will fall straight down and the wedge will move to the right.

Attachments

• IMAG0405.jpg
    IMAG0405.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 415
Turborrado said:
Here is what I drew, and how far I got. As I understand the surfaces are frictionless so the round particle will fall straight down and the wedge will move to the right.
Normal reaction of sphere on the block is not ##mg\cos\theta##, It is so because the big block is accelerating.

Equate the forces perpendicular to the incline acting on the sphere, from there you will get the correct value of normal reaction. Substitute it in your last equation and you will get the answer.

Turborrado said:
Here is what I drew
Is a2 relative to the ground or relative to the wedge?

Related to Why Is Sin(theta) Squared in This Mechanical Engineering Problem?

1. What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is the use of mathematical methods and models to solve real-world problems and make predictions about natural phenomena. It involves the application of mathematical theories and techniques to a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology.

2. What types of problems can be solved using applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including optimization problems, differential equations, statistical analysis, and modeling complex systems. It can also be used to study and understand patterns and relationships in data, and to make predictions about future outcomes.

3. What skills are needed to be successful in applied mathematics?

To excel in applied mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Additionally, strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to communicate complex ideas are important for success in this field.

4. How does applied mathematics differ from pure mathematics?

Pure mathematics is focused on studying abstract concepts and developing theories and proofs, while applied mathematics is concerned with using mathematical tools to solve real-world problems. Applied mathematics often involves creating simplified models of real-world situations, while pure mathematics is more theoretical in nature.

5. What are some common applications of applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is used in a wide variety of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, biology, and computer science. Some common applications include predicting weather patterns, optimizing transportation routes, designing efficient structures, and analyzing financial markets.