Applied mechanics vs. engineering physics

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is currently in their first year of a mechanical engineering degree and is unsure about which field to specialize in. They are considering a degree in applied mechanics or engineering physics and have chosen to aim for applied mechanics because it seems to provide a good background for pursuing a PhD and has relevance in industry. The student is interested in pursuing a PhD and has questions about the big questions in applied mechanics and the lasting relevance of a degree in this field. They are seeking feedback and opinions on the degree and potential career opportunities.
lirkepirk
Hello! I am currently doing my first year in a mechanical engineering degree(which after a few years branches off to applied mechanics), which is a 5 year integrated master's. Since before i applied, I have been uncertain about which study I really want to/should do, and that uncertainty still persist. I think it's a good idea to get some new perspectives on this.

The problem is mainly between doing a degree in applied mechanics(AM) or engineering physics(EP). At high school I was very interested in physics-related problems, and I did really well in the subject. Therefore I wanted to continue in a similar direction. I narrowed it down to engineering physics and applied mechanics, and finally chose to aim for applied mechanics.

The reasons behind this are that:
- I have the impression that EP graduates often end up in fields unrelated to their degree, such as IT or finance.
- It seems like AM gives a good backround for doing a p.hd, at something that is fairly fundamental, while still being relevant in industry.

I could see me pursuing a p.hd. after my masters. Questions like: how does bubbles pop, how does fish swim sound interesting. I also really enjoyed learning some wind turbine theory. As it is the only part of physics I feel I have some insight into, I kind of like the details of fluid mechanics, heat transfer and mechanics as it gives some insight into systems one take for granted until one starts to study them. The thing is that I wonder if EP provides a better backround for specializing in such fields? And even if it does not, what are the big questions in applied mechanics today? What is left to learn? I currently only know that turbulence is is the "last unsolved mystery" of classical mechanics. I have also heard that a degree in AM gives lasting and relevant knowledge to solve the problems of tomorrow. I just wonder how that is, when there is computer software that seem to be able to solve any problems within mechanics today.

So, as there are very few threads on AM, could someone share their opinion on this degree and what career it may lead to?

It got a bit long, but I really appreciate any feedback! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
oops, should have been posted under "career guidance"

Related to Applied mechanics vs. engineering physics

1. What is the difference between applied mechanics and engineering physics?

Applied mechanics is a branch of mechanics that applies principles of physics to analyze and solve real-world engineering problems. On the other hand, engineering physics is a broader field that combines principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to understand and design complex systems.

2. Can you give an example of a real-world application of applied mechanics?

One example of applied mechanics is the design and analysis of a suspension system for a car. This involves using principles of mechanics to determine the best materials, dimensions, and geometries for the suspension components to ensure optimal performance and safety.

3. How does engineering physics differ from other engineering disciplines?

Engineering physics is unique in that it focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and their application to engineering problems, rather than specific applications or technologies. This allows engineers in this field to have a broad understanding of various disciplines and to work on diverse projects.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in applied mechanics or engineering physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential for both applied mechanics and engineering physics. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are crucial in these fields to analyze complex systems and design solutions.

5. Are there any notable differences in job opportunities between applied mechanics and engineering physics?

While both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, applied mechanics tends to be more focused on specific engineering applications, such as mechanical, civil, or aerospace engineering. Engineering physics, on the other hand, offers a broader range of career options, including research and development, technical consulting, and management positions.