Why is PF experiencing slow/no response?

• Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
In summary, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue: a lot of times, PF will start up and work well, but after a few minutes it will lock up and I will be unable to do anything.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue:

A lot of times, I will start PF and things work well. However, after a few minutes, PF seems to lock up. I'll try to open a thread and nothing. Zip. Zilch. No matter what I do, all I get is that damned progress bar moving at a snail's pace and "waiting for physics forum..." Most times, the only thing I have been able to do is to restart either Firefox or IE (it happens on both for me) and wait a few minutes.

It doesn't appear to be a traffic volume issue. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having the same problem sometimes.

Me three. It appears to be fairly independent of browser, OS, connection speed or memory.

This has been happening for most of this last week.

Me 2, said MeToo.

[ EDIT ] DOH! Me 4.

And some times when i try to post it just comes up blank screen and done :-p why fib?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123705

--- also, keep the "cookie jar" cleared out, "files and offline content deleted, and don't be afraid to hit the left mouse button --- one click gets you into "slow load" mode, second gets you out, third back in, even "n" out, odd "n" in --- the "doorbell's" got a problem, misses "end of string" or something --- jostling it like an obnoxious door to door salesman sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Bystander said:
... and don't be afraid to hit the left mouse button --- one click gets you into "slow load" mode, second gets you out, third back in, even "n" out, odd "n" in --- the "doorbell's" got a problem, misses "end of string" or something --- jostling it like an obnoxious door to door salesman sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...
What ... ARE ... you talking about?

Cursor on the forum, thread, whatever item you're after; click the left button; PF balks; hit it again --- cancels the action; hit it again for another try; continue until you get a response that is at whatever speed you've come to expect from your server. Klar?

Related to Why is PF experiencing slow/no response?

What is considered a "slow" or "no response" from PF?

A slow or no response from PF can refer to any delay or lack of response from the protein folding process. This can include slow or unchanging folding rates, unresponsive or stalled simulations, or infrequent or inconsistent updates from the Folding@home server.

What are some possible reasons for a slow or no response from PF?

There are several potential factors that can contribute to slow or no response from PF, including high computational demands, technical issues or errors, insufficient resources or hardware, and network connectivity problems.

How can I improve the response time of PF?

To improve the response time of PF, you can try adjusting your computer's settings to optimize performance, ensuring a stable and high-speed internet connection, and regularly updating your Folding@home software. You can also consider upgrading your hardware or participating in a distributed computing network to increase computational power.

What should I do if PF is consistently slow or unresponsive?

If PF is consistently slow or unresponsive, you can try troubleshooting the issue by checking for any errors or updates, adjusting settings or resources, or restarting the simulation. If the problem persists, you can contact the Folding@home support team for further assistance.

Is a slow or no response from PF a cause for concern?

A slow or no response from PF can be a common occurrence and is not necessarily a cause for concern. However, it may indicate potential technical or computational issues that could affect the accuracy or progress of the protein folding process. If you have any concerns, it is best to consult with a scientist or expert in the field for further guidance.