Why is only the k component considered? (Details inside)

• Thread starter sgvaibhav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, when finding the moment of tension about the x-axis, only the k component is considered because the i and j components are either parallel or cross the x-axis. This is because the sum of the moments about x-axis is zero, so the i component is not needed. The j component may be considered, but it would also cross the x-axis, making it unnecessary. By considering only the k component, the equation for tension (Tbc) can be solved. This understanding is important in the beginning stages of learning statics.
sgvaibhav

Homework Statement

This question is for statics - 3D rigid body equilibrium
When taking moments about the x axis, why is only the k component considered?
I have attached a picture of my situation

Homework Equations

Sum of Forces = 0
Sum of Moments = 0
{Its in equilibrium}

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, moments are taken here about the x-axis, since there is no moment reaction about x-axis
Moment is taken about x-axis to determine the tension.
But only the K component is considered of the tension (WHY WHY WHY ? ? ? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:)

Attachments

• Freebodydiag2.PNG
    Freebodydiag2.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram looks as if the tension vector is just T=-Tj. Is that or is it of the form

T=Txi+Tyj+Tzk

rock.freak667 said:
Your diagram looks as if the tension vector is just T=-Tj. Is that or is it of the form

T=Txi+Tyj+Tzk

no, its
T=Txi+Tyj+Tzk

this is the exact working.

Tbc= (0.3/0.7Ti) + (-0.6/0.7Tj) + (0.2/0.7Tk)
MAx = 0 (Since there is no reaction)

[tex]\Sigma Mx = 0[/tex] (Taking moments about x axis)
(300 x 0.6) - Tbc (0.2 / 0.7) x 0.6 = 0
We obtain tension from this, but i don't get how the part underlined and written in bold comes.

sgvaibhav said:
[tex]\Sigma Mx = 0[/tex] (Taking moments about x axis)
(300 x 0.6) - Tbc (0.2 / 0.7) x 0.6 = 0
We obtain tension from this, but i don't get how the part underlined and written in bold comes.

If you take moments about the point A, you will have the terms MAyj and MAzk (note how there is no MAxi)

If the sum of moments is zero. Then the i component is zero. So you are crossing the moment arms and the forces to give you i

they are crossing 0.6j with Tbck since that will give you an i

j x k = i

Similarly, if you wanted to you could write out the entire vector set and just equate each component to zero and you will see it.

rock.freak667 said:
If you take moments about the point A, you will have the terms MAyj and MAzk (note how there is no MAxi)

If the sum of moments is zero. Then the i component is zero. So you are crossing the moment arms and the forces to give you i

they are crossing 0.6j with Tbck since that will give you an i

j x k = i

Similarly, if you wanted to you could write out the entire vector set and just equate each component to zero and you will see it.
ummm I am still kind of confused.
can u show me the vector set / vector form / matrix.
that might clear my confusion.

sgvaibhav said:
ummm I am still kind of confused.
can u show me the vector set / vector form / matrix.
that might clear my confusion.

If you sum the moments about the point it you will get this

r x F + MAyj + MAzk = 0

Crossing r andF might give you something like this (A-TBC)i+(D+TBC)j+(E+TBC)k (A,D,E are arbitrary constants). If put everything together you will get:

(A-TBC)i)i +(D+TBCMAy)j + (E+TBC+MAzk) = 0

If you equate each component to zero, the i component can be used to get TBC which can then be used to get MAy and MAz.

So your answer basically just found what would give i components.

[tex]\vec M=\vec r\times \vec T[/tex]
[tex]=(yT_z-zT_y)\vec i+(zT_X-xT_z)\vec j+(xT_y-yT_x)\vec k[/tex]
Maybe Ty and x-axis are the intersection.

i think i got it some other way.
I will try explaining what i understood (lol :P)
tell me if I am wrong or not...
(this is the exact question : https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26455&d=1276534148)
ok so we are taking moments about x-axis
when considering the moments tension about x-axis.

i component tension for moment will not be considered --- since its parallel
j component of tension would not be considered -- since it would cross the x axis
and the k component FOR THE WIN :D. it successfull exists :P

so we only consider the k component for the moment of tension (Tbc) about x axis.
am i correct ? ? ?

sgvaibhav said:
i think i got it some other way.
I will try explaining what i understood (lol :P)
tell me if I am wrong or not...
(this is the exact question : https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26455&d=1276534148)
ok so we are taking moments about x-axis
when considering the moments tension about x-axis.

i component tension for moment will not be considered --- since its parallel
j component of tension would not be considered -- since it would cross the x axis
and the k component FOR THE WIN :D. it successfull exists :P

so we only consider the k component for the moment of tension (Tbc) about x axis.
am i correct ? ? ?

You may consider it, but it is zero, which may, or may not come in useful. But in any case, you've found out correctly why it is zero.

Phrak said:
You may consider it, but it is zero, which may, or may not come in useful.

yeah, but in beginning stages, it is better to understand why its zero.
later on, it will just take a second to understand it...

THANKS EVERYONE :smile:o:):approve:

Related to Why is only the k component considered? (Details inside)

1. Why is the k component considered in scientific research?

The k component is considered in scientific research because it represents the magnitude of the wave vector, which is a crucial parameter in understanding the behavior of waves. It also helps to determine the direction of the wave propagation, which is essential in various fields of science such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism.

2. Is the k component the only important factor in wave behavior?

No, the k component is not the only important factor in wave behavior. Other factors such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength also play a crucial role in determining the behavior of waves. However, the k component is often considered as it provides valuable information about the wave's properties and characteristics.

3. How is the k component calculated?

The k component is calculated by dividing the wave vector by the frequency of the wave. The wave vector is a vector quantity that represents the direction and magnitude of the wave's propagation. It is calculated using the formula k = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength of the wave.

4. Why do scientists use the k component instead of other parameters?

Scientists use the k component instead of other parameters because it is a fundamental quantity in wave physics and provides valuable information about the wave's behavior. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of different waves, as it is a universal parameter that can be applied to various types of waves.

5. Can the k component be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the k component can be manipulated or controlled in certain scenarios. For example, in quantum mechanics, scientists can manipulate the k component of a particle's wave function by applying external forces or potentials. In other cases, such as in electromagnetic waves, the k component can be controlled by varying the properties of the medium through which the wave is propagating.