Find the Moment about the ankle

In summary, the force at the knee (Fk) of (-200i + 346.41j)N produces a moment about the ankle due to Fk of 0 kNm. The tibia weighing 0.6kg does not need to be considered in this problem.
jweica
New user has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template when starting schoolwork threads at the PF
Given that the tibia is 0.6kg and is 35 cm long. The force at the knee (Fk) is: (-200i + 346.41j)N
Find the moment about the ankle due to Fk

I found that: r: rx = (0.35cos60) and ry = (0.35sin60)

Using the sum of moments where: rxFy - ryFx = 0

[(0.35cos60)(346.41)] - [(0.35sin60)(-200)] = 0 k Nm

But I am wondering since the tibia weighs 0.6kg, wouldn't that be included in the question as a Fy component [(0.6)(9.81) = -5.886]?
Do I neglect the weight and only use the Fk?

((I attached a poorly drawn free body diagram))
Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 12.30.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 12.30.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 12.30.51 PM.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
jweica said:
Given that the tibia is 0.6kg and is 35 cm long. The force at the knee (Fk) is: (-200i + 346.41j)N
Find the moment about the ankle due to Fk
I don't see anything there about 60 degrees. Where did that come from?

Likes PhanthomJay
haruspex said:
I don't see anything there about 60 degrees. Where did that come from?

At a guess, it's from the dimensions of the force at the knee, where the angular force at the knee is broken into it's horizontal and vertical components of -200 and 346, which correspond to a 30/60/90 triangle having sides (2, 2##\sqrt (3)##, 4). It's unclear whether OP was given the angle and has already broken the forces into components, or was given the components and calculated the angle.

Friend of Kalina said:
At a guess, it's from the dimensions of the force at the knee, where the angular force at the knee is broken into it's horizontal and vertical components of -200 and 346, which correspond to a 30/60/90 triangle having sides (2, 2##\sqrt (3)##, 4). It's unclear whether OP was given the angle and has already broken the forces into components, or was given the components and calculated the angle.
Good point, but that means the 60 degrees is the angle of the applied force at the knee. The diagram shows it as the angle of the tibia. It seems unlikely to pose the question with the two at the same angle.

haruspex said:
Good point, but that means the 60 degrees is the angle of the applied force at the knee. The diagram shows it as the angle of the tibia. It seems unlikely to pose the question with the two at the same angle.

Given the diagram, I saw the problem as the force for someone turning with their leg at an angle to the ground and the foot/ankle pinned. The force is applied in line with the tibia (legs are don't bend laterally), with the leg at a 60 degree angle to the ground. Force in line with the leg along the tibia to the ankle is 400N, comprised of -200N horizontally and 346.41N vertically.

But you're right. Assuming that the components of Fk were given in the problem, if Fk is linearly along the tibia to the ankle, wouldn't that make it a radial force with zero torque? Nothing to solve, except the OP question of whether the tibia itself represents a moment. Much more likely that the tibia is vertical with the force Fk applied at the knee, in which case the tibia is vertical, provides no moment at the ankle, and can be disregarded. Although I'm not sure why you would then be concerned about the mass of the tibia, unless it was thrown into the problem as a red herring.

It would be nice to know if this was the original problem statement. It seems unlikely.

Related to Find the Moment about the ankle

What is the moment about the ankle?

The moment about the ankle refers to the rotational force that is applied to the ankle joint. It is a measure of how much torque is being exerted on the ankle.

Why is it important to find the moment about the ankle?

Finding the moment about the ankle is important because it helps determine the stability and strength of the ankle joint. It is also crucial in understanding the biomechanics of walking, running, and other activities that involve the ankle.

How is the moment about the ankle calculated?

The moment about the ankle is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the ankle by the distance from the ankle joint to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the moment arm.

What factors affect the moment about the ankle?

The moment about the ankle can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the location of the force relative to the ankle joint, and the angle of the joint.

How can the moment about the ankle be used in research or practical applications?

The moment about the ankle is commonly used in biomechanical research to study the effects of different activities or interventions on the ankle joint. It can also be used in practical applications, such as designing orthotics or rehabilitation exercises for ankle injuries.