Why is fire colored orange and sometimes blue?

• B
  • Thread starter kirithika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, flames can have a variety of colors due to different elements and their ionization energy levels.
kirithika
TL;DR Summary
hi, everyone. this is my first question in pf
yesterday I learned a new term wavelength and I was curious about the color of fire. I was thinking that why is fire colored orange or blue, why couldn't it be in any other color. so can someone kindly explain it
🤔🤔

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The colour of the flame is determined by the ionised atoms in the flame. Different elements have different ionisation energy levels, so the photons emitted have different wavelengths and appear to us as different colours.

Throw some common salt, NaCl, into a fire to see the yellow flame of sodium.

There is a list of colours here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_test#Common_elements

• Informative
Likes Klystron and kirithika
thanks for the explanation :thumbup:

Welcome to PF, it is an interesting question. You might have probably seen fire in only blue or orange-yellow color. This is because the most common sources we use are carbon based compounds like kerosene and methane, which give us these colors. In fact the color of the flame depends on which element we are choosing. So when we use compounds of different elements the electrons excite to different energy level and when they return give characteristic colors. For example if you heat Barium compounds it gives Green color corresponding to the wavelength it emits. (Some concepts explained maybe beyond the scope of your grade but it is always good to know some extra facts :wink: )

Here is the picture of Barium compound releasing green color flame
download.jpg

Likes kirithika
I believe there is also a black-body effect in most common flames as well. The soot and other small particles that aren't completely turned in simple atoms/molecules glow red-orange-yellow because they are hot.

Per wiki's article on candles:

Zone IV - the middle or luminous zone is yellow/ white and is located above the dark zone. It is the brightest zone, but not the hottest. It is an oxygen-depleted zone with insufficient oxygen to burn all of the wax vapor rising from below it resulting in only partial combustion. The zone also contains unburnt carbon particles. Temperature is around 1,200 °C (2,190 °F).

I think the unburnt carbon particles are what glow brightly. 1200 C is hot enough for objects to glow bright yellowish.

Likes hutchphd, Klystron, Lnewqban and 4 others
Drakkith said:
I think the unburnt carbon particles are what glow brightly. 1200 C is hot enough for objects to glow bright yellowish.
Yes true, maybe because our eyes are more sensitive to colours of longer wavelength we see yellow colour to be more luminous

Likes kirithika
Drakkith said:
I believe there is also a black-body effect in most common flames as well.

I agree.
Flames are complicated things and their colours have multiple causes, as well as ionic energy levels. If you just look at the effect of a flame on the colour of a heated object ( a clean steel poker, for instance) then the temperature of the object and its colour follow the black body curve. As mentioned above, the yellow colour of a (fuel) gas flame is due to hot Carbon particles. The colour of a clean gas flame, once all the fuel is being burnt, will be 'bluish' but that colour is not part of the black body curve. If it were, the flame would need to be thousands of K. That blue must be caused by energy transitions in the atoms.

But I am not sure what the OP is actually after because of the term "blue", used for "fire" is confusing. I think it has to be to do with Flames in experiments like varying the opening in a Bunsen burner base.

Likes Lnewqban and kirithika
Physics guy said:
Yes true, maybe because our eyes are more sensitive to colours of longer wavelength we see yellow colour to be more luminous

Our eyes are most sensitive in the green area of the spectrum. The yellow color comes from the fact that objects at 1200 C give off thermal radiation, with much more light in the red-orange-yellow regions than the green-blue regions. So it looks yellow-orange. Continue to heat an object up to about 2,000 C and enough light in the green-blue region is emitted to mix with the red-orange-yellow light to make the object appear to glow white. This is how an incandescent light bulb works.

Likes Lnewqban and kirithika
thank you all for your replies I finally understood it:partytime:

Likes Klystron and davenn

Related to Why is fire colored orange and sometimes blue?

1. Why is fire orange and sometimes blue?

The color of fire is determined by the temperature and the type of fuel burning. Orange is the most common color of fire and is produced by burning organic materials such as wood, paper, or candles. Blue fire, on the other hand, is produced by burning hotter fuels such as natural gas or alcohol.

2. What causes the color of fire to change from orange to blue?

The color of fire can change when there is a change in the fuel being burned. As mentioned earlier, hotter fuels such as natural gas or alcohol produce a blue flame, while cooler fuels produce an orange flame. Also, as the temperature of the fire increases, the color can shift from orange to blue.

3. Why is blue fire hotter than orange fire?

The color of fire is directly related to the temperature of the flame. Blue fire is hotter than orange fire because it is burning at a higher temperature. The blue color indicates that the fuel is being burned at a higher rate, producing more heat and energy.

4. Can fire be other colors besides orange and blue?

Yes, fire can be other colors besides orange and blue. The color of fire is determined by the chemical composition and temperature of the fuel. Different chemicals and temperatures can produce different colors, such as green, yellow, and purple flames.

5. Is the color of fire the same in every part of the world?

No, the color of fire can vary depending on the type of fuel and the atmospheric conditions. For example, a fire burning at high altitudes may produce a different color flame than the same fire burning at sea level. Additionally, different cultures may use different types of fuel, resulting in different colored flames.