Why orange color is visible with blue LED?

• Thread starter kevin_tee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Led
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a DIY spectrophotometer and the observation of orange light in a flask of methyl orange solution. It was suggested that the orange light is due to fluorescence rather than reflection, and that it could be observed using a diffraction grating film to see two spectra. It was also suggested to try observing the light coming through a wedge of the solution to see if there is a mixture of blue and green light.
kevin_tee
I am making a DIY spectophotometer.

What you see in this photo is flask of methyl orange solution in water with blue led in the back in a black box. As you can see the surrounding is blue because the box reflect blue light, however the light coming through the flask is orange. I don't understand why, blue LED gives narrow spectrum of blue light (450-500 nm from wikipedia). So there should be no orange color (600 nm or mix of green 500-570 nm and red 610-760 nm). Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_3912.png
    DSC_3912.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
kevin_tee said:
What you see in this photo is flask of methyl orange solution in water with blue led in the back in a black box. As you can see the surrounding is blue because the box reflect blue light, however the light coming through the flask is orange. I don't understand why, blue LED gives narrow spectrum of blue light (450-500 nm from wikipedia). So there should be no orange color (600 nm or mix of green 500-570 nm and red 610-760 nm). Thank you.

Do you know whether the orange is a reflection or fluorescence?

Dr. Courtney said:
Do you know whether the orange is a reflection or fluorescence?
Ohhh. I never knew that methyl orange have fluorescence. From the photo, I think it is reflection, because there is a dark area in the solution, if it is fluorescence that dark part must be lit up a bit.

The flask is filled to the 50ml level with water plus a few drops of methyl orange?

NascentOxygen said:
The flask is filled to the 50ml level with water plus a few drops of methyl orange?
100 ml of deionized water and 0.01 gram of methyl orange powder and then half it.

I understand that LED is monochromatic light, but the photo shows that there are orange light. Or I misunderstood something?

kevin_tee said:
I understand that LED is monochromatic light, but the photo shows that there are orange light. Or I misunderstood something?
I think the methyl orange, has a large portion of it's absorption spectrum in the blue range,
That energy, once absorbed, has to go somewhere.
It is just a guess, but one of the spontaneous decay products, could be your orange photons.

kevin_tee said:
I am making a DIY spectophotometer.

Methyl orange is fluorescent- it absorbs blue light from the LAD and emits over a fairly broad waveband, including orange (540 nm):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269036448_Absorption_and_Fluorescence_Spectra_of_Methyl_Orange_in_Aqueous_Solutions

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn
The orange light seems to emenate from the first few mm of solution at the base---that first encountered by the laser light. So the blue is rapidly absorbed and doesn't penetrate far at all? The orange pattern in the centre of the image is a complex reflection of that orange glow at the base? At the concentration of dye involved here, in white light would the solution have a pale appearance resembling light beer?

The 5 orange circular thingy is LED and the rest is cause by refraction and reflection.

So if I use diffraction grating film, I will see two spectrum (orange and blue) right?

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see the blue LED behind a wedge of the dyed liquid, e.g., by tilting a half-filled flask. Where the wedge of liquid is thick, we'd see this orange light, where the wedge is zero thickness the transmitted light will be blue, and maybe there'd be a level where the light coming through would be a mixture, viz., green? Kevin_tee, do you have the apparatus that you can try this?

kevin_tee said:
The 5 orange circular thingy is LED and the rest is cause by refraction and reflection.

So if I use diffraction grating film, I will see two spectrum (orange and blue) right?

I suspect that if you observe the totally-internally reflected 'images' of the LED, you will see two spectra- one from the unabsorbed blue light and one from the fluorescently emitted orange light.

Related to Why orange color is visible with blue LED?

1. Why does the color orange appear when a blue LED is used?

Orange is a secondary color that is created when blue light mixes with red light. Blue LEDs emit blue light, but they also have some emission in the green and red spectrums. When this blue light combines with the red light, the resulting color is orange.

2. How does the blue LED produce orange light?

Blue LEDs are made from a semiconductor material called indium gallium nitride (InGaN). When electricity passes through this material, it creates a reaction that emits blue light. However, the blue light also excites the phosphor coating on the LED, which in turn produces red light. The combination of blue and red light produces the orange color.

3. Is the color orange visible with all blue LEDs?

No, the color orange is only visible with a particular type of blue LED called a blue phosphor LED. This type of LED has a phosphor coating that reacts to the blue light and produces the additional red light necessary to create the orange color. Other types of blue LEDs may not have this phosphor coating and therefore will not produce the color orange.

4. Can the intensity of the orange color be adjusted on a blue LED?

Yes, the intensity of the orange color can be adjusted by altering the amount of red phosphor in the coating of the blue LED. By changing the ratio of blue to red light, the resulting color can be made more orange or more red. However, this adjustment can only be made during the manufacturing process and cannot be changed afterwards.

5. Is orange the only color that can be produced with a blue LED?

No, there are a variety of colors that can be produced with a blue LED, depending on the type and amount of phosphor used in the coating. For example, a blue LED with less red phosphor may produce a green color, while a blue LED with more red phosphor may produce a deep red color. The color possibilities are endless and can be customized for specific applications.