Why is deBroglie λ for electrons the same as λ for photons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of the wavelength of a photon and an electron with the same momentum. The textbook mentions the de Broglie wavelength for the electron as fe = E/h, and for the photon as fp = √(p2 c2) / h. However, the student mistakenly assumes that E=hf applies for the electron. The textbook correctly states that the relationship between E and p changes for different particles, leading to a difference in the dispersion relation between massive and massless particles.
Tommy R
Hi, I got the following question in my textbook: [translated]"Compare the wavelength of a photon and an electron where the photon and the electron have the same momentum".
My thinking is the following:
Firstly, pp (photon) = pe (electron).
My textbook briefly mentions the extention of the mass-energy equivalence E2 = p2 c2 + m2 c4, so I go by this since the particles have different speeds. The de Broglie wavelength of the electron is given by fe = E/h = √(p2 c2 + m2 c4) / h. The wavelength of the photon is the same except that the mass is 0, so it reduces to fp = √(p2 c2) / h. Since m2 c4 ≥ 0 it follows that fe ≥ fp.

My textbook says that the answer is that fe = fp tho. Their argument is that p = h/λ holds for both the electron and the photon. But they previously state that it only applies for massless particles. They derive it from E2 = p2 c2 + m2 c4 by setting m to 0. [translated]"[...]E = pc which holds for massless particles.[...] we find that p=h/λ".

Why is my argument invalid and why does λ=h/p hold for the electron? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tommy R said:
The de Broglie wavelength of the electron is given by fe = E/h

No, it isn't. ##E/h## is a frequency, not a wavelength.

Tommy R said:
My textbook says that the answer is that fe = fp tho.

Does it? With ##f_e## defined as ##E / h##? Or does it have a different formula for the de Broglie wavelength?

Tommy R said:
Their argument is that p = h/λ holds for both the electron and the photon.

And that is correct. Or, rearranging the formula, ##\lambda = p / h##. Not ##E / h##.

PeterDonis said:
No, it isn't. ##E/h## is a frequency, not a wavelength.
Does it? With ##f_e## defined as ##E / h##? Or does it have a different formula for the de Broglie wavelength?
And that is correct. Or, rearranging the formula, ##\lambda = p / h##. Not ##E / h##.
The deBroglie wavelength as fe was a typo, I meant frequency. I now notice that I without really thinking about it assumed E=hf applied for the electron. I cannot this? (The book's definition of deBroglie wavelength is h/p, yes)

Tommy R said:
I now notice that I without really thinking about it assumed E=hf applied for the electron.

It does. What changes between the electron and the photon is the relationship between E and p; that should be obvious from the equations you wrote down in the OP. That in turn implies a change in the relationship between ##f## and ##\lambda##. (This relationship is often called a "dispersion relation" in the literature, and the difference I've just described is called a difference in the dispersion relation between massive and massless particles.)

Likes Tommy R

Related to Why is deBroglie λ for electrons the same as λ for photons?

1. What is deBroglie's hypothesis?

DeBroglie's hypothesis states that all matter, including electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can exhibit behaviors of both waves and particles.

2. How is deBroglie's hypothesis related to the wavelength of electrons and photons?

According to deBroglie's hypothesis, the wavelength of a particle is inversely proportional to its momentum. This means that particles with high momentum, such as electrons and photons, have shorter wavelengths.

3. Why is deBroglie's wavelength important in understanding the behavior of electrons and photons?

The wavelength of electrons and photons is important because it helps us understand their wave-like and particle-like behaviors. This allows us to better understand and predict their interactions with matter and how they travel through space.

4. How is deBroglie's wavelength experimentally proven?

DeBroglie's wavelength has been experimentally proven through various experiments, such as the Davisson-Germer experiment which showed electron diffraction patterns, similar to those of waves. Additionally, the photoelectric effect experiment demonstrated the particle-like behavior of photons.

5. Are there any practical applications of deBroglie's wavelength?

Yes, deBroglie's wavelength has several practical applications in fields such as electron microscopy, where the wavelength of electrons is used to create high-resolution images. It is also used in particle accelerators and in the development of quantum technologies.