Energy-momentum formula and deBroglie wavelength

In summary: He postulated that the formula ##\lambda = h / p## can be applied to particles other than photons.He did not postulate that the formula ##E = pc## can be applied to particles other than photons.
sha1000
Hi everyone,

Im a little bit confused about deBroglies procedure on introducing his famous Matterwave formula.

People already knew that the wavelength of the light was equal to Lambda = h/p. The term p comes from the energy-momentum formula; for the light the restmass = 0 so E =pc etc.

As far as I know deBroglie just postulated that this can be applied not only to photons but also to other particles.

So my question is why don't we take into the account that restmass of other particles is non-zero. In this case the energy should be E = sqrt (m02c4 + p2c2) and not E = pc? But deBroglie applied the photons formula to other particles (even though the restmass of other particles is nonzero) and it actually worked...

What am I missing? To what precision the deBroglie formula was experimentally tested?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
sha1000 said:
As far as I know deBroglie just postulated that this can be applied not only to photons but also to other particles.

He postulated that the formula ##\lambda = h / p## can be applied to particles other than photons.

He did not postulate that the formula ##E = pc## can be applied to particles other than photons.

sha1000 said:
why don't we take into the account that restmass of other particles is non-zero.

We do. So did de Broglie. See above.

Likes sha1000
PeterDonis said:
He postulated that the formula ##\lambda = h / p## can be applied to particles other than photons.He did not postulate that the formula ##E = pc## can be applied to particles other than photons.

We do. So did de Broglie. See above.
Thank you for your reply.But the photons formula lambda = h/p is constructed from E = h×f and E2 = m02c4 + p2c2. From here one can write that: lambda = h/sqrt (m02c2 + p2) [1]I would say that this is a general expression for any particle and that photon is a special case with m0 = 0; and the expression becomes:lambda = h/p [2]For me it would be more natural to use the general expression [1] for massive particles. I really don't understand why we are using the second one which is just a special case for massless particles.

sha1000 said:
the photons formula lambda = h/p is constructed from E = h×f

It can be, if you start with E = h f as your assumption. But you can equally well start with lambda = h/p as your assumption and derive E = h f from it for a massless particle. The logic works fine either way.

De Broglie started with lambda = h/p as his assumption, not E = h f. If you start with lambda = h/p, and then apply the energy-momentum relation for massive particles instead of massless particles, you don't end up with E = h f, and de Broglie never claimed that you would.

In fact, as far as I know, de Broglie didn't consider the relativistic energy-momentum relation at all; he just assumed lambda = h/p, and proposed that that relation be used to construct a non-relativistic quantum theory for a massive particle. You don't need any relativistic energy-momentum relation to do that.

sha1000 said:
I really don't understand why we are using the second one which is just a special case for massless particles.

As far as I can tell, you are not talking about what de Broglie actually did at all, but about some straw man theory that you have constructed. The supposed logic you are saying won't work is not logic that de Broglie, or anyone who built on his work, ever used.

Likes sha1000
Ok. I see now. I was told that he deduced this expression from lambda=h×f. But if he didnt do it and just postulated this expression, then this makes sense to me.

Thank you for this clarification.

Related to Energy-momentum formula and deBroglie wavelength

1. What is the energy-momentum formula?

The energy-momentum formula, also known as the relativistic energy equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an object's energy (E), momentum (p), and its rest mass (m) in the theory of special relativity. It is given by E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How is the energy-momentum formula related to deBroglie wavelength?

The energy-momentum formula and deBroglie wavelength are related through the concept of wave-particle duality. According to this principle, all particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties. The deBroglie wavelength is given by λ = h/p, where h is Planck's constant. This wavelength is directly related to an object's momentum, which is a key component in the energy-momentum formula.

3. What is the significance of the deBroglie wavelength?

The deBroglie wavelength is significant because it relates the wave-like properties of particles to their momentum. This wavelength is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It also helps in understanding phenomena such as diffraction and interference, which are characteristic of wave behavior.

4. How does the energy-momentum formula support Einstein's theory of special relativity?

The energy-momentum formula is a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It shows that an object's energy and momentum are not two separate quantities but are instead intertwined in a single equation. This formula also highlights the fact that the energy and momentum of an object are not conserved separately, but rather as a combined entity.

5. Can the energy-momentum formula and deBroglie wavelength be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, the energy-momentum formula and deBroglie wavelength can be applied to all particles, regardless of their mass or speed. However, it is most commonly used to describe the behavior of particles with very small masses, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. For particles with larger masses, the classical mechanics equations are usually sufficient.