Why is Classical Physics Broken up again?

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary: I think it would be better if there was one overarching 'classical physics' forum. Then people could post in whichever forum they are most interested in.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Why is the Classical Physics forum now broken up into sub-fora? I finally got used to the combined version!
classical.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Just got used to the combined version? It was in its previous state for many years :biggrin:

Testing to see if adding more structure improves user experience in finding content they are interested in, rather than the one huge bucket. If it's a positive experience we'll see where else we can do the same.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
It was in its previous state for many years :biggrin:
Well, time flies when you're having fun!

I like the huge bucket approach. But, I'm adaptable :)

Thanks!

Likes jasonRF and Greg Bernhardt
The multiple levels complicate generic browsing.

Overly specific bins make it harder to stumble on something interesting that one didn’t think was interesting. I think that there is an upper limit to the total number of bins, but the number is open to interpretation.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
Instead of these bins, could one have some small selection of suggested tags that the questioner could select and have displayed color-coded on the list of threads (like the Chemistry, Engineering, Challenge tags visible on the home page)? Then, one can see the categories at a glance and maybe filter for them.

The tagging would allow topics that would overlap with multiple bins.

I see there is a tagging setup...
but maybe presenting a small selection of tags would encourage its use.

Likes jasonRF, diogenesNY and Ygggdrasil
I'm personally not a big fan of the change. Since we clearly need to keep the 'general' classical physics forum, I don't see what value there is in further increasing the number of forums in which a given thread can fit, as well as the number of ways it can be misplaced. For example, I wouldn't be surprised to find a recent thread on Hohmann transfer orbits in general engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, classical physics, classical physics->mechanics, other physics topics, and maybe even astronomy/astrophysics. But right now it is in classical physics->electromagnetism.

I'm sure part of my issue is that various aspects of my graduate specialty, plasma waves, can conceivably fit in all of the classical physics sub-forums depending on a given person's perspective. I sure hope they end up in the 'general' classical physics forum, though. At the same time I do realize I am probably in the minority, so will of course happily work within the new framework.

jason

There are still a number of threads in the "general" classical physics section that can be moved to the mechanics sub-category. Also, I feel that maybe "Mechanics" could be renamed to "Mechanics and Dynamics".

Likes jasonRF
Wrichik Basu said:
There are still a number of threads in the "general" classical physics section that can be moved to the mechanics sub-category. Also, I feel that maybe "Mechanics" could be renamed to "Mechanics and Dynamics".
If we have sub-forums, I agree it should be clear what each encompasses. To me "mechanics and dynamics" is also ambiguous, since it isn't clear whether it includes continuum physics. Likewise, it isn't clear what topics should be in electromagnetism and what should be in optics. In my mind they are the same thing, probably because the topics I am most knowledgeable about easily fit in either bin. That is part why I favor a generic 'classical physics' category.

EDIT: or at the very least, combine all of electromagnetic theory (including optics) into one bin.

Last edited:
I did a search of messages since the change. Roughly 1/3 of the messages that should be in a subsection are. Some (thermodynamics) are better than others (mechanics).

Conclusions:
  • Members are unclear on where to post their messages.
  • Mentors are unclear on where to move them.
Is this a success?

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
Is this a success?
Not in my opinion.

1. Why is classical physics broken up again?

Classical physics is not necessarily "broken up" again, but rather, it is divided into different branches to better understand the complexities of the physical world. This division allows scientists to focus on specific phenomena and develop more accurate and precise theories.

2. What are the branches of classical physics?

The branches of classical physics are mechanics, thermodynamics, optics, electromagnetism, and acoustics. Each branch deals with different aspects of the physical world, such as motion, heat, light, electricity, and sound.

3. How do these branches differ from each other?

Each branch of classical physics has its own set of principles, laws, and equations that govern the behavior of matter and energy. For example, mechanics deals with the motion of objects, while thermodynamics focuses on the transfer of heat and energy.

4. Why is it important to have separate branches of classical physics?

Having separate branches of classical physics allows scientists to study and understand different aspects of the physical world in a more organized and systematic manner. It also allows for the development of more accurate and specialized theories that can better explain and predict natural phenomena.

5. Can these branches be combined?

While each branch of classical physics has its own set of principles and laws, they are all interconnected and can be combined to form a more comprehensive understanding of the physical world. For example, the principles of mechanics and thermodynamics are both important in understanding the motion of objects.