The New Physics Categories Are Puzzling To Me

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: They just haven't been moved yet. Please feel free to click on any of the ones in the catch-all forum and suggest a better destination forum. We always appreciate your help with those kinds of suggestions.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I don't understand how a few of the threads are being categorized and grouped.

For example, why would a question on projectile motion be in "Other Physics Topics"? Same goes for a question on classical E&M. What exactly is this "Other Physics Topics" forum suppose to contain?

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
We just renamed "General Physics" so that going forward members hopefully choose a correct forum instead of just defaulting to "General Physics". Most threads in there could go into Classical. This is still the catch all forum, just renamed, and put at the bottom.

Greg, the "other physics forums" appears at the bottom of the list of physics topics. It should be at the top just to catch all those who click on the first one they see.

Likes davenn
anorlunda said:
Greg, the "other physics forums" appears at the bottom of the list of physics topics. It should be at the top just to catch all those who click on the first one they see.
hmmm I don't understand

anorlunda said:
I think in the Mentor discussion that led up to the change, that the idea was to put the catch-all forum at the bottom of the list (but I'll have to go back and re-read that discussion). As Greg suggests, that's to help posters do a better job of posting in the most appropriate forum.

All of this makes it even more puzzling. The threads that I’ve mention clearly qualify to be considered as “classical physics”. Yet, they are in this new catch-all forum. And these are not the only ones.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
All of this makes it even more puzzling. The threads that I’ve mention clearly qualify to be considered as “classical physics”. Yet, they are in this new catch-all forum. And these are not the only ones.

Zz.
They were always there. The forum just got renamed. We're not going to go through thousands of threads and move them :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
They were always there. The forum just got renamed. We're not going to go through thousands of threads and move them :)

That's fine, but as it is now, it is confusing to me. Before, they fit into the "General Physics" category, because "General Physics" is a loosely-common term for many first-year undergraduate physics courses in the US.

But now, they fit better in the Classical Physics forum, but yet, they are in a catch-all forum, regardless of how they got there. An old-timer like me is confused. What about someone who just walked in? Where should he/she post a similar topic that is currently found in this Other Physics forum?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That's fine, but as it is now, it is confusing to me. Before, they fit into the "General Physics" category, because "General Physics" is a loosely-common term for many first-year undergraduate physics courses in the US.
That is what we are trying to avoid because most early courses fit into classical mechanics.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
They just haven't been moved yet. Please feel free to click on any of the ones in the catch-all forum and suggest a better destination forum. We always appreciate your help with those kinds of suggestions. It's a work in progress... :smile:

Related to The New Physics Categories Are Puzzling To Me

1. What are the new physics categories?

The new physics categories refer to the recent developments and discoveries in the field of physics, such as dark matter, quantum mechanics, and string theory.

2. Why are these new categories considered puzzling?

These new categories are considered puzzling because they challenge our traditional understanding of the laws of physics and require new theories and explanations.

3. How do these new categories impact our understanding of the universe?

These new categories have the potential to greatly expand our understanding of the universe and how it works. They offer new insights into the fundamental forces and structures that govern our world.

4. What are some practical applications of these new physics categories?

Some practical applications of these new physics categories include advancements in technology, such as quantum computing and improved energy sources. They also have implications for space exploration and understanding the origins of the universe.

5. What is the role of scientists in studying and explaining these new categories?

Scientists play a crucial role in studying and explaining these new categories. They use mathematical models, experiments, and observations to test and refine theories, and ultimately help us better understand the mysteries of the universe.