Why is Angle C Assumed to be Acute and What is the Value of Sin C in ∆ABC?

In summary: He has reposted it here on May 7 without acknowledgement of the answer and help he received on May 4. I have asked the moderators to remove this thread.In summary, given that √5 tanA=-2 and CosB=8/17 in ∆ABC, we can assume that angle C is acute because it is the only possible option for a triangle with one obtuse angle and two acute angles. The value of Sin C can be determined using trigonometric ratios and is approximately 0.88. The diagram in this problem is not specified to be on a coordinate system or plane, so the concept of quadrants does not apply.
laprec
Given that √5 tanA=-2 and CosB=8/17 in ∆ABC
State why we may assume that angle C is acute and determine the value of Sin CAttempt made:
tanA=-2/√5 CosB=8/17
A is obtuse angle of 138° or reflex angle 318.19°
B is an acute angle of61.9° or reflex angle298.1 °.Since it is a right triangle,therefore angle C is acute
Not sure the above is correct though!
Second Part: The diagram will be in the 4th quadrant since tan is negative and cos is positive

Attachments

• trig ratio file.PNG
    trig ratio file.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
laprec said:
Given that √5 tanA=-2 and CosB=8/17 in ∆ABC
State why we may assume that angle C is acute and determine the value of Sin CAttempt made:
tanA=-2/√5 CosB=8/17
A is obtuse angle of 138° or reflex angle 318.19°
Since tanA is negative, it is an obtuse angle. I get about 138.17 degrees. Since there can only be one obtuse angle in a triangle, angles B and C must be acute angles.

B is an acute angle of61.9° or reflex angle298.1 °.Since it is a right angle,therefore angle C is acute
What is a right angle? You have correctly calculated that B has measure 61.9 degrees so is NOT a right angle! At first I thought you might have meant that ABC is a right triangle but that is also not true (a right triangle cannot have an obtuse angle).

Not sure the above is correct though!
Second Part: The diagram will be in the 4th quadrant since tan is –ve and cos is +ve
I don't know what "diagram" you are talking about. The problem as you stated it has only a triangle, it is not on a coordinate system so there are NO quadrants.

Thanks a lot! I mean't to say it is a right triangle because I used Trig ratio. I am sorry the diagrams that were included in my attempt to solve the second part of the question are not displaying in the thread. I will make another attempt to attached the diagrams. Your efforts is highly appreciated.

I don’t think this triangle lies on a plane ... on a spherical surface, maybe?

Why is this posted here in the Challenges forum?

I moved it there due to the title. :eek: I've moved it back to Trigonometry.

This problem was asked, answered, and thanked by the OP on May 4 on another forum.

Related to Why is Angle C Assumed to be Acute and What is the Value of Sin C in ∆ABC?

What is the "Trig ratio challenge"?

The "Trig ratio challenge" is a mathematical concept that involves using trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for unknown angles or sides in a right triangle.

Why is the "Trig ratio challenge" important?

The "Trig ratio challenge" is important because it is a fundamental concept in trigonometry, which is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation.

What are the three main trigonometric ratios?

The three main trigonometric ratios are sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan). These ratios represent the relationships between the sides of a right triangle and its angles.

How do I use trigonometric ratios to solve for unknown angles or sides?

To solve for unknown angles or sides using trigonometric ratios, you need to identify which ratio is needed based on the information given, set up the appropriate equation, and use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown value.

Are there any shortcuts for solving trigonometric ratios?

Yes, there are several trigonometric identities and rules that can be used to simplify and solve trigonometric ratios more efficiently. These include the Pythagorean identities, double angle formulas, and sum and difference formulas.