Trigonometry - Associated Acute Angles

In summary, the question involves an incomplete table of values for sinθ, cosθ, tanθ, \alpha and θ. The correct method involves considering the associated acute angle, α, and using the CAST diagram to determine which trig ratios are positive in each quadrant. However, if θ can be both positive and negative, the values for cosθ and tanθ can also be ±. After realizing a mistake in reading the answer, the values for θ are actually ±45° or ±135°.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm doing some revision and working through the textbook my course follows and have a small problem.

The question is an incomplete table of values for sinθ, cosθ, tanθ, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and θ. I have to work out the blanks using what is given.

I thought I knew the correct method of doing this, and I got all the answers correct except for the last two lines where I got the value correct, but did not see why I needed to include a ± sign.

I'll show what I did for one of the lines, and hopefully someone can see why I'm not realising the values can be negative or positive.

Homework Statement

sinθ =
cosθ =
tanθ =
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = 45°
θ =

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out sin, cos and tan for this value of alpha and they were all positive, so I thought I could assume, based on the CAST diagram, that the associated acute angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], must lie in the 1st quadrant. Therefore θ = 45°

However, my textbook says all the trig values I obtained can be ± and θ = 45° or 135°

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hello,

i'm doing some revision and working through the textbook my course follows and have a small problem.

The question is an incomplete table of values for sinθ, cosθ, tanθ, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and θ. I have to work out the blanks using what is given.

I thought I knew the correct method of doing this, and I got all the answers correct except for the last two lines where I got the value correct, but did not see why I needed to include a ± sign.

I'll show what I did for one of the lines, and hopefully someone can see why I'm not realising the values can be negative or positive.

Homework Statement

sinθ =
cosθ =
tanθ =
θ =

I worked out sin, cos and tan for this value of alpha and they were all positive, so I thought I could assume, based on the CAST diagram, that the associated acute angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], must lie in the 1st quadrant. Therefore θ = 45°

However, my textbook says all the trig values I obtained can be ± and θ = 45° or 135°

What am I missing?
How are α and θ related?
Are you given a picture of the triangle?
You haven't provided enough information for us to be able to help you.

Mark44 said:
How are α and θ related?
Are you given a picture of the triangle?
You haven't provided enough information for us to be able to help you.

Sorry, I didn't stop to think whether my explanation involving α would make sense.

I'll do my best to explain it, but it's easier with a set of axes in front of you.

Take o to be the origin, and draw a line op at say 45° to the x axis. Directly below p, on the x axis, we label the point q to construct a right angled triangle. The anticlockwise direction is taken as +ve. We can say that α is the associated acute angle for θ here because it lies in the 'first quadrant'. They are numbered from 1-4 anticlockwise.

Now suppose you rotate the line op to a position of 135°, p lies in the 'second' quadrant and θ = 135°, but the associated acute angle α is 45° (the triangle opq)

I hope that makes enough sense to see what my question is getting at.

i don't get it :confused:

if OP is 120°, what is α?​

tiny-tim said:
i don't get it :confused:

if OP is 120°, what is α?​

If the line op is rotated 120° anticlockwise, then θ is 120° and α is the acute angle made with the x axis, so it's 60°.

EDIT:

This is in relation to the CAST diagram, that tells us which trig ratios are positive in which quadrant.

CAST.png

BOAS said:
If the line op is rotated 120° anticlockwise, then θ is 120° and α is the acute angle made with the x axis, so it's 60°.

I see.

And what about 240° and 300° … are they 60° or -60° ?

In the first quadrant α = θ - 360°
second quadrant α = 180° - θ
Third quadrant α = θ - 180°
Fourth quadrant α = 360° - θ

So, if θ = 240°, the line op lies in the third quadrant and α = 60°.

If θ = 300°, the line op lies in the fourth quadrant and α = 60°

I'm pretty sure it's setup so that α is always positive.

BOAS said:

Homework Statement

sinθ =
cosθ =
tanθ =
θ =

What am I missing?

ok, then if θ = 45° or 135°, then both cosθ and tanθ can be ± (though sinθ can only be +)

however, on your explanation of α, i don't see why θ can't be 225° or 315° :confused:

tiny-tim said:
ok, then if θ = 45° or 135°, then both cosθ and tanθ can be ± (though sinθ can only be +)

however, on your explanation of α, i don't see why θ can't be 225° or 315° :confused:

I'm sorry, this whole question is due to me mis-reading the answer at the back of the book.

It was written as θ = ±45° or ±135° and I didn't see the signs in front of the values it gave for θ. I have it all making sense now.

Thanks for your patience.

Related to Trigonometry - Associated Acute Angles

What is the definition of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

What are associated acute angles?

Associated acute angles are two angles that have the same measure and are both acute angles. They are also known as co-terminal angles.

How are associated acute angles related to trigonometry?

In trigonometry, associated acute angles are used in the study of right triangles and the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent). These angles are important in solving trigonometric equations and finding missing values in triangles.

How do you find the associated acute angle of a given angle?

To find the associated acute angle of a given angle, you can use the following formula: associated acute angle = given angle - n(360), where n is an integer. This formula allows you to find all possible associated acute angles for a given angle.

What are some real-world applications of associated acute angles?

Associated acute angles have various practical applications, such as in navigation, surveying, and engineering. They are also used in fields like physics and astronomy to calculate distances, angles, and trajectories.