Why is a Tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs? (Factual Question)

In summary, a tungsten filament is used in incandescent bulbs because of its high melting point. This allows the filament to reach the necessary temperature to produce visible light. While its low resistivity may seem counterintuitive, it still allows for enough heat to be generated through Joule's law of heating. Other important properties for a lamp filament include being a conductor and having a high melting point to prevent failure.
SankalpSethi

Homework Statement

Why is a tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs?

I earlier thought that it was due to the high resistivity of tungsten , but i was wrong , the resistivity of tungsten is low at 5.2 * 10^-8 Is it due to its high melting point?? I can't figure out as high melting point doesn't seem to be the only reason for selection of Tungsten.
Please Help.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
What physical properties do you want from a lamp filament ?
hint - What does Tungsten have the highest of ?

i think it should be high melting point ( Tungsten has a MP of 3380 C) but again , it has a very low resistivity which means it has a low resistance. So according to Joule's law of heating , a very less amount of heat would be produced . What are your views on this?

You want less heat - it's wasted energy but that's a secondary point.

The important point is that to get visible light you need the filament to be as hot as possible, an the lamp will fail when the filament melts - so you need the highest melting point material possible (that is also a conductor of course)

I get it , so the main reason is melting point! Thanks a ton , i have an exam tommorow , this will surely help!

Related to Why is a Tungsten filament used in incandescent bulbs? (Factual Question)

1. Why is a tungsten filament used instead of other materials in incandescent bulbs?

Tungsten has a high melting point, around 3400 degrees Celsius, which allows it to withstand the high temperatures needed to produce light. It also has a low evaporation rate, meaning it can last longer than other materials before needing to be replaced.

2. How does a tungsten filament produce light in an incandescent bulb?

As electricity passes through the tungsten filament, the resistance of the material causes it to heat up and emit light. This process is known as incandescence.

3. What makes tungsten a suitable material for use in incandescent bulbs?

Tungsten is a good conductor of electricity, meaning it can efficiently transfer electricity to produce light. It is also a relatively inexpensive and readily available element, making it a practical choice for use in incandescent bulbs.

4. How long can a tungsten filament last in an incandescent bulb?

A tungsten filament can last for approximately 1000 hours in an incandescent bulb. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the voltage and temperature at which the bulb operates.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a tungsten filament in incandescent bulbs?

There are some alternatives, such as using a carbon filament, but tungsten remains the most commonly used material due to its durability and efficiency in producing light.