Power Loss over 1st Light Bulb in DC Circuit w/10Ω, 12Ω, 10Ω & 12V

In summary, the DC circuit has a total resistance of 32Ω and a source of 12V. The two light bulbs have identical tungsten filament bulbs with a resistivity of 5.6*10^-8, filament thickness of 12um, and length of 1.2cm. To find the power loss over the first light bulb, the current needs to be found first by adding the resistances of the two bulbs and then dividing by the source. The power can then be calculated using the equation P=VI.
lofty28
A DC circuit has resistances of 10Ω, 12Ω, and 10Ω respectively. Also has 2 light bulbs with identical tungsten (resistivity = 5.6* 10^-8) filament bulbs with filament thickness of 12um and length of 1.2cm. The source is a 12V.

what is the power loss over the first light bulb?

I am not entirely sure which equations to use how ever the ones which i thought to use are:
V=RI
P=VI
P=V^2 / R
I am really stuck and don't know how to find the acual power loss. I think my main issue is gather the correct information and implimenting it in the right situation.

I have attempted to find the total, R1+R2+R3= 32Ω
And then i have divided each by the source 12... 2.66A
Can someone please direct me in the right way...? I am gettin quiet frustrated with it!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lofty28! :smile:

yes, that's the right method, find the current first, and then find the power through the bulb with that current

(but you'll need to add the resistances of the two bulbs, and add them, before finding the current :wink:)

Related to Power Loss over 1st Light Bulb in DC Circuit w/10Ω, 12Ω, 10Ω & 12V

1. What is the total resistance in the circuit?

The total resistance in the circuit is 10Ω + 12Ω + 10Ω = 32Ω.

2. What is the voltage drop over the 12Ω resistor?

The voltage drop over the 12Ω resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In this case, the voltage drop is (12Ω)(I).

3. How much power is lost over the 1st light bulb?

The power lost over the 1st light bulb can be calculated using the formula P = IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. In this case, the power lost is (I)(12V).

4. What is the voltage across the 10Ω resistor?

The voltage across the 10Ω resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In this case, the voltage across the 10Ω resistor is (10Ω)(I).

5. How much current is flowing through the circuit?

The current flowing through the circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance. In this case, the current is (12V)/(32Ω) = 0.375A.