Why Is 2r Used in Calculating the Masses in Plaskett's Binary System?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kepler's law to find the mass of each star in a system where two stars are orbiting at equal distance with equal masses. The question is why the distance, r, in the formula GMm/r^2 is written as 2r in order to arrive at the correct answer. The explanation is that on the left hand side, the distance between the two stars is used, while on the right hand side, the distance from a star to the center of the circular orbit is used.
unknown_2
hey
i've been having trouble understanding a part in this question. i'll just map out the basics to the question: 2 stars with a velocity of 220km/s are orbiting at equal distance. the masses of the stars are equal. period = 14.4 days it asks to find the mass of each star.

i understand that u can use kepler's law to get the answer.

GMm/r2 = mv2/r

-which is what i used to come up with my answer seeing that i found the mass relative to a center mass. but according to the solution it's suppose to be:

GMm/(2r)2 = mv2/r

my question is, why is r denoted 2r in order to arrive at a correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the left hand side, you use the distance between the 2 stars.

On the right hand side, you use the distance from a star to the center of the circular orbit.

I understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some clarification on the Plaskett's binary system. First, let's discuss the basics of this system. Plaskett's binary system is a binary star system, meaning it consists of two stars orbiting around a common center of mass. In this case, both stars have equal mass and are orbiting at the same distance. The period of their orbit is 14.4 days, meaning it takes 14.4 days for the stars to complete one full orbit.

Now, to answer your question about the use of "2r" in the equation. This is because in Kepler's third law, the distance between the two bodies (r) is measured from the center of one body to the center of the other. However, in Plaskett's binary system, the distance between the two stars is measured from the center of one star to the center of the other, which is twice the distance between the two bodies. Therefore, to accurately calculate the mass of each star, we need to use "2r" in the equation instead of just "r". This ensures that we are taking into account the distance between the two stars and not just the distance between their centers.

I hope this explanation helps you better understand the solution and the use of "2r" in the equation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Why Is 2r Used in Calculating the Masses in Plaskett's Binary System?

What is Plaskett's binary system?

Plaskett's binary system is a binary star system composed of two massive stars, designated as HD 47129A and HD 47129B, located in the constellation of Monoceros. It was first discovered by the Canadian astronomer John Stanley Plaskett in 1922.

How far away is Plaskett's binary system from Earth?

Plaskett's binary system is approximately 6,900 light-years away from Earth.

What are the characteristics of the two stars in Plaskett's binary system?

The primary star, HD 47129A, is a blue supergiant with a mass of about 50 times that of the Sun, while the secondary star, HD 47129B, is a blue main sequence star with a mass of about 7 times that of the Sun.

What is the orbital period of Plaskett's binary system?

The orbital period of Plaskett's binary system is approximately 14.4 days.

Why is Plaskett's binary system important for scientists?

Plaskett's binary system is important for scientists because it is one of the closest and most massive binary star systems known, providing a unique opportunity to study the evolution and dynamics of massive stars. Additionally, it has allowed for the development of new techniques for studying binary star systems.