Two Black Holes orbiting as a binary system

In summary, two black holes were found to be orbiting as a binary system with a separation of 3.2 × 1015 m and masses of 1.6 × 1039 kg and 4.0 × 1037 kg. To find the orbital time of the system, one must equate centripetal force to gravitational force, using the distance between the objects for Newton's law of gravitation and the distance between a mass and the center for centripetal force. The resulting equation is F = Mw2R = GMm / r2, where R is the radius of the orbit circle for one of the masses. The orbital time is then found to be approximately 100 years.
FelaKuti

Homework Statement

In 2009, astronomers found convincing evidence of two such black holes orbiting as a binary system. From data collected, they estimated that the separation of the black holes was 3.2 × 1015 m and that their masses were 1.6 × 1039 kg and 4.0 × 1037 kg.

The black holes orbit about a point 7.7 × 1013 m from the larger mass black hole.

cZuyi5M.png

Show that the orbital time of the binary system is about 100 years.

Homework Equations

F = GMM / r2

F = Mw2r

2pi/w = T

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to equate centripetal force to the gravitational force, then substitute the 2pi/w = T to get an expression involving the time period. However I'm just stumped on how to consider the radius in this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The radius of the orbit circle for a given object is not the same as the distance between the objects.

So towards the centre point, but I'm guessing I should add the radiuses together perhaps? I'm also confused about the masses here, should I add them together too?

FelaKuti said:
So towards the centre point, but I'm guessing I should add the radiuses together perhaps?
Adding the radii gives you the total distance between the objects, which is a given value already.
I'm also confused about the masses here, should I add them together too?
No. How does Newton's law of gravitation work? How about centripetal force for a rotating body? Does it ever depend on anything other than the rotating body itself?

Make a quick sketch showing the circle that one of the masses describes as it orbits. What's its center and radius? How does that radius compare to the distance between the two objects? What distance matters as far as Newton's law of gravity is concerned? What distance matters as far as circular motion (centripetal force) is concerned?

For centripetal force it's the distance between the mass and the centre.
For Newton's law of gravitation it's the distance between the two objects.

so it should be this?

So F = Mw2R = GMm / r2

FelaKuti said:
For centripetal force it's the distance between the mass and the centre.
For Newton's law of gravitation it's the distance between the two objects.

so it should be this?

So F = Mw2R = GMm / r2
Yes, provided that you define r and R appropriately.

Got it, thanks~

Related to Two Black Holes orbiting as a binary system

1. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses under its own gravity, becoming infinitely dense and creating a strong gravitational pull.

2. What is a binary black hole system?

A binary black hole system is a pair of black holes that are orbiting around each other due to their strong gravitational attraction. They can form when two galaxies merge or when two stars in a binary system evolve into black holes.

3. How do we detect a binary black hole system?

We can detect a binary black hole system through the gravitational waves it emits. When the black holes orbit each other, they create ripples in the fabric of space-time, which can be detected by specialized instruments such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

4. What happens when two black holes merge?

When two black holes merge, they combine into a single, larger black hole. This is accompanied by a release of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can be observed by detectors on Earth.

5. Can we see a binary black hole system?

No, we cannot see a binary black hole system directly as they do not emit any light. However, we can indirectly observe them through their effects on surrounding matter, such as accretion disks, or through the gravitational waves they emit.