Why are the forces on torque tension and not the weight of the mass?

j04015
Homework Statement
Check image attached
I have a hard time understanding why the F in T=FR is tension and not the weight of the blocks

Isn't weight the force that's making the disk rotate? I thought tension was just an opposing force.
Relevant Equations
T=Iα
Screenshot 2023-12-10 3.46.18 PM.png

Let the left string be T1 and the right string be T2. Pretend that the masses are NOT equal and that the total mass on the left is 3mg and the total mass on the right is 2mg.

My first thought: Net torque = 3mgR1-2mgR1

Actual solution: Net torque = (T1-T2)*R

Once again, the force that's used is tension and not the weight of the mass (which I'm assuming is what makes the system move). I just need some advice on understanding why that's the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
j04015 said:
Homework Statement: Check image attached
I have a hard time understanding why the F in T=FR is tension and not the weight of the blocks

Isn't weight the force that's making the disk rotate? I thought tension was just an opposing force.
Relevant Equations: T=Iα

View attachment 337044
Let the left string be T1 and the right string be T2. Pretend that the masses are NOT equal and that the total mass on the left is 3mg and the total mass on the right is 2mg.

My first thought: Net torque = 3mgR1-2mgR1
That's not a bad first thought. But, are you sure it's your final answer?
j04015 said:
Actual solution: Net torque = (T1-T2)*R
That must be true, because only the string is attached to the wheel.
j04015 said:
Once again, the force that's used is tension and not the weight of the mass (which I'm assuming is what makes the system move). I just need some advice on understanding why that's the case.
The mass difference is the cause of the motion, but you need to make sure that all the relevant equations are satisfied. For example, if ##T_1 = 3mg##, what does Newton's second law say about the motion of the ##3m## mass?

Likes Lnewqban
j04015 said:
Homework Statement: Check image attached

Relevant Equations: T=Iα

Your first guess tacitly assumes that the system is static and that will lead to the incorrect answer. Slow and steady solves the problem.

hutchphd said:
Your first guess tacitly assumes that the system is static and that will lead to the incorrect answer.
Not quite right. If the net torque is τnet = 3mgR1 - 2mgR1, the system cannot be static because the net torque is not zero. The system is static if it is at rest and remains at rest. This value of τnet is the initial value of the net torque at the moment of release before the string stretches a bit when the angular velocity is zero and the angular acceleration is ##\alpha = \tau_{\text{net}}/I.##

Likes MatinSAR
My statement was perhaps too nuanced. His (tacit) intuition about tension was, I believe, predicated upon this misapprehension somewhere in his chain of thought (trying to work it out in his head). A common source of error for people used to intuiting the answers without recourse to their ongoing education

j04015 said:
Try this. A block has mass =2kg and hangs from a string. Take g=10N/kg.
What is the tension when:
a) the block's acceleration is zero?
b) the block's acceleration is 3m/s² upwards?
c) the block's acceleration is 3m/s² downwards?

The forces directly acting on the wheel are the tensions. So in a non-equilibrium (unequal hanging masses) situation, you must use the values of the tensions, not the values of the weights.

Minor edits.

Likes MatinSAR
kuruman said:
Not quite right. If the net torque is τnet = 3mgR1 - 2mgR1, the system cannot be static because the net torque is not zero. The system is static if it is at rest and remains at rest. This value of τnet is the initial value of the net torque at the moment of release before the string stretches a bit when the angular velocity is zero and the angular acceleration is ##\alpha = \tau_{\text{net}}/I.##
I assumed @hutchphd meant held static.
j04015 said:
why the F in T=FR is tension and not the weight of the blocks
This is a common error.
The disc is an inanimate object. Unlike you, it cannot see the source of the tension. It can only react to those forces that act directly on it.
Since the masses will move, there is a net force on them. Consequently their weights cannot equal the tension.

Likes MatinSAR
hutchphd said:
My statement was perhaps too nuanced. His (tacit) intuition about tension was, I believe, predicated upon this misapprehension somewhere in his chain of thought (trying to work it out in his head). A common source of error for people used to intuiting the answers without recourse to their ongoing education
I agree. I posted for the record.
haruspex said:
I assumed @hutchphd meant held static.
I thought about that, but I wasn't sure. After all, if the system is held static there must be a third entity, in addition to the two weights, holding it static.

Likes MatinSAR and hutchphd

1. Why are the forces on torque tension and not the weight of the mass?

When calculating torque, we consider the forces acting perpendicular to the rotation axis of an object. Tension in a string or rope is a force that can cause rotation, while the weight of the mass is a force acting downward and does not contribute to torque unless it is causing the object to rotate.

2. How does tension affect torque compared to the weight of the mass?

Tension in a string or rope can create torque by causing an object to rotate around an axis. The weight of the mass, on the other hand, only affects torque if it is causing the object to rotate. Tension can be adjusted to control the rotation of an object, while the weight of the mass remains constant.

3. Can tension and the weight of the mass both contribute to torque?

While tension in a string or rope can directly contribute to torque by causing rotation, the weight of the mass can also indirectly affect torque if it creates a moment arm that causes the object to rotate. In some cases, both tension and the weight of the mass can work together to produce torque.

4. Why is tension more important than the weight of the mass in torque calculations?

Tension is more important than the weight of the mass in torque calculations because it is the force that directly causes rotation in an object. The weight of the mass may play a role in torque calculations if it creates a moment arm, but tension is typically the primary force considered when determining torque.

5. How can tension be manipulated to control torque in a system?

Tension in a string or rope can be adjusted to control torque in a system by changing the amount of force applied to the object or by changing the angle at which the force is applied. By manipulating tension, we can effectively control the rotation of an object and influence its torque output.