Why Extraneous Solutions Occur w/ Equations & Injective Functions

• MHB
  • Thread starter SweatingBear
  • Start date
In summary, if you have two expressions and you apply a function to both sides, you can always reverse the step as long as the function is injective. This is why squaring can yield extraneous solutions because f(x) := x^2 is not injective.
SweatingBear
Suppose we have two expressions, \(\displaystyle e_1\) and \(\displaystyle e_2\), and apply a function \(\displaystyle f\) to both expressions (or both sides of the equation). First

\(\displaystyle e_1 = e_2 \, ,\)

and then

\(\displaystyle f(e_1) = f(e_2) \, ,\)

The way I have understood this concept is that if you have two expressions and apply a function, you can always reverse the step as long as the function is injective (or one-to-one). This is why squaring can yield extraneous solutions because \(\displaystyle f(x) := x^2\) is not injective.

For example if we have

\(\displaystyle \ln (x - 4) = \ln (2x - 6) \, .\)

Let us apply \(\displaystyle f(x) := e^x\) (the function is injective!) and thus have

\(\displaystyle x - 4 = 2x - 6 \, .\)

But the equation we have arrived does not provide a solution to the original equation, in spite of the fact that we applied a one-to-one function.

I already understand that it can be comprehended if one thinks in terms of functions and their domains, but I am strictly speaking interested in thinking in terms of applying functions to both sides of an equation.

Why did it not work to apply the exponential function despite the function being injective?

Physics news on Phys.org
$e^x$ is not defined if $x$ is not defined.
You can apply 1-1 (bijective) functions all you like, but you still have to check if the argument was defined in the first place.

Now if we extend the domains and ranges to the complex numbers, we can get some more results. Although we will still not have neat 1-1 inversions.

Ok but if we for example have

\(\displaystyle x = \sinh (\theta) \, ,\)

and then apply \(\displaystyle f(z) := z^2\), it would yield

\(\displaystyle x^2 = \sinh^2 (\theta) \, .\)

Now I am worried whether \(\displaystyle x^2 = \sinh^2 (\theta) \, .\) contains some extraneous solutions or something else hidden that I should heed...

Sidenote: I am working on the indefinite integral of \(\displaystyle \sqrt{1+x^2}\).

Yes, you are introducing extraneous solutions, since a square introduces indeed an extra solution.
At least you don't lose solutions, so when you check your final solutions against your original equation, you're good to go.

I like Serena said:
Yes, you are introducing extraneous solutions, since a square introduces indeed an extra solution.
At least you don't lose solutions, so when you check your final solutions against your original equation, you're good to go.

Alright thanks

Related to Why Extraneous Solutions Occur w/ Equations & Injective Functions

1. Why do extraneous solutions occur when solving equations with injective functions?

Extraneous solutions occur when solving equations with injective functions because these functions have a one-to-one correspondence between their input and output values. This means that each input value has only one corresponding output value. However, when solving equations, we may introduce additional values that do not actually satisfy the original equation, resulting in extraneous solutions.

2. Can extraneous solutions be avoided when solving equations with injective functions?

Yes, extraneous solutions can be avoided by carefully checking the solutions obtained during the solving process and making sure they satisfy the original equation. It is also important to keep track of any operations or manipulations done to the equation, and ensure they do not introduce any additional solutions.

3. How can we identify extraneous solutions in equations with injective functions?

To identify extraneous solutions, we can substitute the obtained solutions back into the original equation and check if they satisfy it. If they do not, then they are extraneous solutions. Additionally, we can also look for any inconsistencies or contradictions in the steps of the solving process.

4. Are extraneous solutions always incorrect when solving equations with injective functions?

Not necessarily. In some cases, extraneous solutions may arise due to the domain restrictions of the function. For example, if the function is only defined for positive numbers, but the equation is solved using both positive and negative numbers, then the negative solutions would be extraneous. However, in other cases, extraneous solutions do indicate an error in the solving process.

5. How can understanding injective functions help in avoiding extraneous solutions?

Understanding injective functions can help in avoiding extraneous solutions by allowing us to identify which operations or manipulations will preserve the one-to-one correspondence between the input and output values. By being mindful of this, we can avoid introducing any additional solutions and ensure that the solutions obtained are valid for the original equation.