Why Don't I Get the 'Occam's Razor' Joke?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, my friends think that the expression "I am a genius in any given debate" is awkwardly phrased and therefore funny.
Topher925
If someone wrote down a statement saying "I'm using the principal of occam's razor, I am a genious in any given debate", would you laugh? Apparently this is suppose to be a really funny joke according to my friends but I just don't get it and they won't explain it to me either. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
If someone wrote down a statement saying "I'm using the principal of occam's razor, I am a genious in any given debate", would you laugh? Apparently this is suppose to be a really funny joke according to my friends but I just don't get it and they won't explain it to me either. :frown:

I guess I am dumb too. I don't see the funny. Does that make you feel better?

Maybe it has something to do with genius being spelled wrong.

Or "principle."

I noticed that too but apparently there's something else funny about it.

The simplest solution for me is that I am always right, I think that it has something to do with that.

Your friends might be thinking that the expression "I am a genius in any given debate" is awkwardly phrased. To me it doesn't sound especially funny.

Topher925 said:

You either need:

• better friends, or
  • to drink more when your current friends tell jokes.

I think that's what he meant:

chickenrazor.jpg

lisab said:
You either need:

• better friends, or
  • to drink more when your current friends tell jokes.

Yes, possibly both.

This very well could be what she meant. I think the joke is a lot funnier with the picture. I'll have to ask her to see if that's what she meant.

Still not funny. I think they're just trying to sound smart by acting perplexed at the idea that someone doesn't understand it.
Sometimes when people hear a joke like that, they'll act like it's way funnier than it really is, to make sure everyone knows that they understood the joke, and then act like it's hard to believe anyone else couldn't get it, to make it look like for them to understand it was an easy task.

Topher925 said:
"I'm using the principal of occam's razor, I am a genious in any given debate:

Mmmm...I get it, but that's not very funny.

If I were guessing at the line with two obvious typos, I'd think they were suggesting that they're suggesting that they're deploying the simplest and therefore most obvious idea and that's that they're a genius at debate. Therefore, I dunno, any resistance or argument with them is futile? Why bother arguing with them when it's point-blank they're always right? Something like that?

eh, because by using occam's razor, one would naturally conclude that one is NOT a genius in any given debate ?

Proton Soup said:
eh, because by using occam's razor, one would naturally conclude that one is NOT a genius in any given debate ?

Yeah I guess, but...humor fail.

Being totally serious here: stop hanging out with other nerds. I can't stand to be around people like me. They make jokes like this and then I have to go drink until I don't remember it.

leroyjenkens said:
Still not funny. I think they're just trying to sound smart by acting perplexed at the idea that someone doesn't understand it.
Sometimes when people hear a joke like that, they'll act like it's way funnier than it really is, to make sure everyone knows that they understood the joke, and then act like it's hard to believe anyone else couldn't get it, to make it look like for them to understand it was an easy task.

My friends and I are somewhat like this. We tell stupid jokes that most people are not likely to get. It then becomes even more funny because you just told a stupid joke and thought it was hilarious. Then your friend sees you laughing uncontrollably over a stupid joke and starts laughing at you for thinking it is so funny. Enter third person who has no idea what you two think is so funny which snow balls the hilarity and at which point you might tease more out of it by messing with the third person.

Personally I enjoy taking someone seriously when they tell a stupid joke. Its fun to watch them try to explain it and get frustrated.

Topher925 said:

im not the brightest guy but i think its cause they spelled genius incorrectly. did they actually write the joke out to you? or is that how you personally spell genius? that's my take!

but what do i i know i have the spatial skills of a moron so idk =p.

waht said:

chickenrazor.jpg

i don't understand it? whos occam anyways?

Guess what?

I'm so dumb, that, I was confused at the joke, and then the picture I guess was supposed to help.

*people on forum before pic*
"That's not funny"

*after pic*
"Ohhhhhh. That makes so much sense. still not funny"

*me, before and after*
"Um."

I might be with you there... the picture was funny but with or without it, I don't get the joke.

GreatEscapist said:
Guess what?

I'm so dumb, that, I was confused at the joke, and then the picture I guess was supposed to help.

*people on forum before pic*
"That's not funny"

*after pic*
"Ohhhhhh. That makes so much sense. still not funny"

*me, before and after*
"Um."

Uh, yeah. The people who said it was comprehensible after the picture, weren't saying it was clearer because of the picture.

GeorginaS said:
Uh, yeah. The people who said it was comprehensible after the picture, weren't saying it was clearer because of the picture.

Well, whatever. :P
I dub this a dumb joke, since I don't get it. *puts a dumb joke stamp on it*

GreatEscapist said:
Well, whatever. :P

That is always such an excellent, award-winning come back. So neener neener to you too. :P

GeorginaS said:
That is always such an excellent, award-winning come back. So neener neener to you too. :P

Oh, it's a very clever comeback. Certainly the best.

"It's just been revoked"

Last edited:
It was probably funny because they were making fun of you and you didnt even notice... Nice friends btw.

Topher925 said:
Why am I so dumb?

Because you're so hot?:-p

This is the proper response: [PLAIN]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7049/stopnotbeingfunnysp3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Don't I Get the 'Occam's Razor' Joke?

1. Why is it called "Occam's Razor"?

Occam's Razor is named after William of Ockham, a 14th-century English philosopher and theologian who is credited with developing the principle. The word "razor" refers to the idea of cutting away unnecessary or complex explanations.

2. What is the principle of Occam's Razor?

The principle of Occam's Razor states that, when faced with multiple explanations for a phenomenon, the simplest one is usually the correct one. It suggests that we should not add unnecessary assumptions or complexity to our explanations without sufficient evidence.

3. How does Occam's Razor apply to jokes?

In the context of jokes, Occam's Razor is often used to poke fun at overly complex or convoluted punchlines. By pointing out that the simplest explanation is usually the best, the joke is essentially saying that the punchline is too complicated or unnecessary.

4. Why is it considered a scientific principle?

Occam's Razor is considered a scientific principle because it is often used in scientific reasoning and problem-solving. It helps scientists to choose the most likely explanation for a phenomenon, and to avoid making assumptions or adding unnecessary complexity to their theories.

5. Is Occam's Razor always true?

No, Occam's Razor is not a universal law or a guarantee of truth. It is simply a heuristic or a rule of thumb that suggests the simplest explanation is usually the best. There may be cases where a more complex explanation is actually the correct one, but Occam's Razor is still a useful tool for guiding scientific inquiry.