Why doesn't partial fractions work in this case?

In summary, the conversation is about using partial fractions to split a given fraction, but the speaker encountered difficulties and is seeking an explanation for why their approach did not work. They also ask for a brief explanation of why a polynomial of one degree lower is needed in the numerator when using partial fractions.
aaaa202
I want to split the fraction:

2a/((a+1)(a2+4))

I have tried using partial fractions, but came to something that was nonsense, and my question is why that is. Why doesn't partial fractions work in this case, from a mathematical point of view, and is it still possible to split up the fraction?

----------------------------------

Chances are of course that I just used partial fractions the wrong way, so here is how I did:

2a/((a+1)(a2+4)) = C/(a+1) + D/(a2+4)

we have that:

C(a2+4) + D(a+1) = 2a

Which gives us the equations:

Ca2 = 0
4C + D = 0
Da = 2a

which clearly contradict each other. What is wrong in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a quadratic factor, so your template for partial fractions is wrong. You should start from 2a/((a+1)(a^2+4)) = C/(a+1) + (D+Ea)/(a^2+4)

Sorry, I never really learned about partial fractions, so could you briefly explain why you (as it appears to be) need a polynomial of one degree lower than the denominator's in the numerator?

1. How do I split up a fraction?

To split up a fraction, you need to divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number). This will give you the quotient, or the answer to your fraction.

2. Can I split up a fraction into multiple smaller fractions?

Yes, you can split up a fraction into multiple smaller fractions by dividing the numerator and denominator by the same number. This will give you an equivalent fraction with a smaller numerator and denominator.

3. Can I simplify a fraction by splitting it up?

Yes, you can simplify a fraction by splitting it up into smaller fractions and then finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified fraction.

4. Is it possible to split up a mixed number fraction?

Yes, you can split up a mixed number fraction by first converting it into an improper fraction. Then, you can follow the same steps as splitting up a regular fraction.

5. Why is splitting up a fraction useful?

Splitting up a fraction can be useful when you need to simplify a fraction or compare fractions with different denominators. It can also be helpful in solving equations involving fractions or finding equivalent fractions.