Partial Fraction Expansion - Repeated Roots Case

In summary, partial fraction expansion is a method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This is particularly useful in the case of repeated roots, where the denominator can be factored into repeated factors. The process involves writing the repeated factors as a sum of simpler fractions and determining the coefficients through a system of equations. This method is helpful in solving various mathematical problems and some tips for solving such problems include factoring, setting up equations, and checking the solution. It is also important to pay attention to restrictions and simplify the final answer.
JohnSmith0909

Homework Statement

Find Partial Fraction Expansion

10/[s (s+2)(s+3)^2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

10/[s (s+2)(s+3)^2] = A/s + B/(s+2) + C/(s+3)^2 + D/(s+3)

A = 10/[(s+2)(s+3)^2], s approaches 0 = 10/(2*3^2) = 5/9

B = 10/[s (s+3)^2], s approaches -2 = 10/(-2) = -5

C = 10/[s (s+2)], s approaches -3 = 10/[(-3)(-3+2)] = 10/[(-3)(-1)] = 10/3

For D,
First I find the equation that isolated C by multiply both sides by (s+3)^2

10/[s (s+2)] = [A(s+3)^2]/s + [B(s+3)^2]/(s+2) + C + D(s+3)

I then differentiate both sides with respect to s to find D? I have solved similar problems before with three terms, one repeated root, and to find the last constant I had to something similar to above and then differentiate both sides, but that doesn't seem to work in this case with four terms, one repeated root.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnSmith0909 said:

Homework Statement

Find Partial Fraction Expansion
10/[s (s+2)(s+3)^2]

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
10/[s (s+2)(s+3)^2] = A/s + B/(s+2) + C/(s+3)^2 + D/(s+3)

A = 10/[(s+2)(s+3)^2], s approaches 0 = 10/(2*3^2) = 5/9

B = 10/[s (s+3)^2], s approaches -2 = 10/(-2) = -5

C = 10/[s (s+2)], s approaches -3 = 10/[(-3)(-3+2)] = 10/[(-3)(-1)] = 10/3
That all looks fine.
For D,
First I find the equation that isolated C by multiply both sides by (s+3)^2

10/[s (s+2)] = [A(s+3)^2]/s + [B(s+3)^2]/(s+2) + C + D(s+3)

I then differentiate both sides with respect to s to find D? I have solved similar problems before with three terms, one repeated root, and to find the last constant I had to something similar to above and then differentiate both sides, but that doesn't seem to work in this case with four terms, one repeated root.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Now to find a value for D: Substitute some number for s, ##\ \text s = -1\ ## works well, then using your values for A, B, and C, solve for D.

Related to Partial Fraction Expansion - Repeated Roots Case

1. What is partial fraction expansion in the case of repeated roots?

Partial fraction expansion is a method used to decompose a rational function into a sum of simpler fractions. In the case of repeated roots, the denominator of the rational function can be factored into linear and quadratic terms, resulting in repeated factors in the partial fraction decomposition.

2. When is the repeated roots case used in partial fraction expansion?

The repeated roots case is used when the denominator of the rational function has repeated factors, meaning that the same factor appears multiple times. This can happen when the polynomial in the denominator has a repeated root or when it can be factored into repeated linear or quadratic terms.

3. How is the partial fraction expansion done in the repeated roots case?

In the repeated roots case, the partial fraction expansion is done by writing the repeated factors in the denominator as a sum of simpler fractions with the same denominator. The coefficients of the simpler fractions are then determined using a system of equations, typically by equating the coefficients of corresponding terms on both sides of the equation.

4. What is the purpose of using partial fraction expansion in the repeated roots case?

The purpose of using partial fraction expansion in the repeated roots case is to simplify the rational function into a sum of simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration or manipulation of the function, making it a useful tool in solving various mathematical problems.

5. What are some tips for solving partial fraction expansion problems in the repeated roots case?

Some tips for solving partial fraction expansion problems in the repeated roots case include factoring the denominator completely, setting up a system of equations to determine the coefficients, and checking the solution by substituting back into the original function. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions on the variables and to simplify the final answer as much as possible.