Why does work have the wrong units?

• Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving on a frictionless horizontal table attached to a massless string. The work done by pulling the string as the radius of the particle's circular motion decreases is calculated, but there is a mistake in the integration due to not accounting for the varying angular velocity. The correct approach is to find the force as a function of the changing radius and then integrate.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving on a frictionless horizontal table and is attached to a massless string that passes through a tiny hole of negligible radius in the table, and I am holding the other end of the string underneath the table. Initially the particle is moving in a circle of radius r0 with angular velocity ω0, but I now pull the string down until the radius reaches r. Assuming that I pull the string so slowly that we can approximate the particle’s path by a circle of slowly shrinking radius, calculate the work I did by pulling the string, and compare it to your answer in (5.1).

Homework Equations

W = ∫F⋅dr
Answer for KE is [(mωo2ro2)/2]((ro/r)2-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

W = ∫F⋅dr = ∫mv2/r dr= ∫mω2rdr = (mω2/2)(r2-ro2)

From conservation of angular momentum I get that ω = (ωoro2)/r. replacing this with the result gives (mωo2ro4)/2[((ro/r)2-1)] and the units don't check out. Shouldn't this be the same as KE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
From conservation of angular momentum I get that ω = (ωoro2)/r.
This equation is not dimensionally consistent and thus cannot be true.

Likes Vitani11
Oh that is v not omega. Crap, stupid mistakes. I got (mωo2ro4)/2r2[(1-(ro/r)2)]

To check this answer I set it equal to KE to see if it turned to 0 but instead it gave me that r=-ro which isn't true. Is this answer still correct or is this not a good way to check your answer?

Vitani11 said:
To check this answer I set it equal to KE to see if it turned to 0 but instead it gave me that r=-ro which isn't true. Is this answer still correct or is this not a good way to check your answer?

The problem is in here is ##F## is not constant as you can see ##F=\frac {mv^2} {r}## but here ##v## depends on ##r## (angular momentum conservation).So you have to find first ##F(r)##

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:
∫mω2rdr = (mω2/2)(rr02)
Please post your steps there. How do you handle the fact that r and ω are both varying?

Likes Vitani11
haruspex said:
Please post your steps there. How do you handle the fact that r and ω are both varying?
Typo. It should have been W = ∫F⋅dr = ∫mv2/r dr= ∫mω2rdr = (mω2/2)(r2-ro2)

Vitani11 said:
Typo. It should have been W = ∫F⋅dr = ∫mv2/r dr= ∫mω2rdr = (mω2/2)(r2-ro2)
But that is wrong. In the integration you treated ω as constant.

Likes Vitani11
Got it, thanks

Related to Why does work have the wrong units?

1. Why do we use units in science?

Units are used in science to measure and quantify physical quantities such as length, mass, time, and temperature. Using standardized units allows for accurate and consistent communication and comparison of data and results.

2. What are the consequences of using the wrong units in scientific work?

Using the wrong units in scientific work can lead to incorrect calculations, inaccurate results, and misinterpretation of data. This can ultimately affect the validity and reliability of the entire study or experiment.

3. How can using the wrong units affect the outcome of a scientific experiment?

Using the wrong units can affect the outcome of a scientific experiment by producing incorrect data or measurements. This can lead to false conclusions and potentially hinder the progress of scientific research.

4. Why is it important to convert units correctly in scientific work?

Converting units correctly is important in scientific work because it ensures that the data and results are accurate and comparable. It also allows for collaboration and understanding among scientists from different countries or fields of study who may use different units of measurement.

5. What can be done to avoid using the wrong units in scientific work?

To avoid using the wrong units in scientific work, it is important to double-check all measurements and conversions, use standardized units, and refer to reliable sources for unit conversions. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the units being used and their relationships to each other.