Pulling a puck through the hole

In summary, the homework statement states that a puck rotating on a frictionless tabble with a velocity v1 and radius r1 is connected to a string which runs through a hole at the center of the table. The string is pulled from below until the radius decreases to r2. Find the work done by the string.
Nabin kalauni

Homework Statement

Its a classic problem about a puck that is rotating on a frictionless tabble with a velocity v1 and radius r1. It is is connected to a string which runs through a hole a the centre of the table. The string is pulled from below until the radius decreases to r2. Find the work done by the string.

Homework Equations

I used the conservation of angular momentum to find v(r). Then as the puck is undergoing circular motion. T=mv^2/r.
Hence W is an integral of dot product of tension and dr.

The Attempt at a Solution

However, I encountered a problem, how do i take the direction of r? If the direction of r is taken from the puck towards the centre, T and dr are in opposite direction.
If r is taken from centre to the puck, T and dr are in same direction. So how do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the pulling force (below the table), they point in the same direction. But the length of the string is increasing below the table. Now above the table, you are going from a larger value to a smaller value (radius decreasing). You should come up with the same answer, either way. Think about what is being done by the force.

scottdave said:
Looking at the pulling force (below the table), they point in the same direction. But the length of the string is increasing below the table. Now above the table, you are going from a larger value to a smaller value (radius decreasing). You should come up with the same answer, either way. Think about what is being done by the force.
So you mean T and dr are in the same direction?

Nabin kalauni said:
T and dr are in opposite direction
That does not matter. That will give you -T.dr inside the integral, but the range will be from the larger r to the smaller. That will correct the sign to give a positive result.
By the way, there is an easier way than dealing with forces and integrating.

I agree with @haruspex in that it does not matter. You should come out with work done on the system by the external force. I come from the electrical background, though, where often you would make an assumption that current was in a certain direction. Often when the calculations are done, you get a negative value for current, which means that you picked the incorrect direction.

haruspex said:
That does not matter. That will give you -T.dr inside the integral, but the range will be from the larger r to the smaller. That will correct the sign to give a positive result.
By the way, there is an easier way than dealing with forces and integrating.
Okay thank you. The problem asks it to be done both ways so I had to go through all this pain

scottdave said:
I agree with @haruspex in that it does not matter. You should come out with work done on the system by the external force. I come from the electrical background, though, where often you would make an assumption that current was in a certain direction. Often when the calculations are done, you get a negative value for current, which means that you picked the incorrect direction.
Does that thing apply in these kind of problems though? Unlike current , work can be both negative or positive.

Nabin kalauni said:
Does that thing apply in these kind of problems though? Unlike current , work can be both negative or positive.
I'm not sure what you mean.
The sign of the work does matter. Calculated correctly, you should find the work done by the tension on the mass is positive. If that is not what you get, please post all your steps.

Related to Pulling a puck through the hole

1. What is "pulling a puck through the hole"?

"Pulling a puck through the hole" is a physics demonstration where a puck is pulled through a hole in a sheet of paper without tearing the paper. It is often used to explain concepts such as friction, force, and surface tension.

2. How is "pulling a puck through the hole" performed?

To perform "pulling a puck through the hole," you will need a sheet of paper (preferably thin and smooth), a puck or coin, and a smooth surface. Place the paper on the surface and make a small hole in the center. Place the puck on the paper and pull it through the hole slowly and steadily without tearing the paper.

3. What is the scientific explanation behind "pulling a puck through the hole"?

The scientific explanation for "pulling a puck through the hole" is based on the principles of friction and surface tension. When the puck is pulled slowly and steadily, the friction between the paper and the puck creates a force that helps to keep the paper intact. Additionally, the surface tension of the paper also plays a role in keeping the paper from tearing.

4. What are some variations of "pulling a puck through the hole"?

There are several variations of "pulling a puck through the hole," including using different sized pucks or coins, using different types of paper, and changing the pulling speed. These variations can affect the amount of force and friction applied, and can also demonstrate different scientific concepts.

5. How is "pulling a puck through the hole" relevant in real life?

"Pulling a puck through the hole" may seem like a simple science demonstration, but it has real-life applications. Understanding the principles of friction and surface tension can help in designing products and machines that require smooth and steady movement, such as conveyor belts and packaging materials. It also helps in understanding the stability of objects on different surfaces, such as a car driving on a slippery road.