Why Does the Order of Transformations Affect the Graph of a Function?

In summary, the person posting is struggling with understanding the order of transformations for functions in their precalculus class. They are seeking help in determining the correct order and are questioning their teacher's explanation.
modonnell121
Okay so I've done very well in college so far, and I thought I was at least decent at math, but I just started this precalculus class and I'm having an issue.

I basically don't know, and can't get a straight answer about how to handle functions that have multiple transformations going on. This is not a homework question, but it is a perfect example of my issue, so I'm posting it.

Photo%2520on%25202012-01-31%2520at%252012.16.jpg

My answer is the function sketched below and to the left of the printed one, except I would have shifted it down one but there is no room on the graph, as you can see. I must be that far off, huh? The teacher's answer is like mine but shifted up one unit. This is apparently because he reflected it after shifting, while I reflected first. In his email explaining why he did this he told me "It's always best to do the reflecting last as it is the last thing that happended to the function in the transformation process." WHAT?

How do I know the order, what do I DO? Please someone help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe your teacher is wrong, and you are correct (unless I'm suffering from brain failure).

In the case of y= -f(x+2) -1 you must "reflect" f(x+2) before subtracting 1! This graph should be 1 below y= -f(x+2)!

If it was y= - [f(x+2) -1] you would "reflect" afterwords like your teacher did (ultimately shifting up 1, because y = - [f(x+2) -1] = -f(x+2) + 1).

Cool, I thought I was right. But can you explain how I determine the order to do the transformations in general?

modonnell121 said:
Cool, I thought I was right. But can you explain how I determine the order to do the transformations in general?

Sorry, didn't see your reply until today. There is a specific order of operations, with a few different rules to get used to.

For functions (such as f(x) or g(x)), you apply the function to whatever is within the parenthesis in the function declaration.

f(x) you apply the function f to x

f(x+2) you apply the function f to x+2. in other words you replace the value for x with x+2

IF f(x) = 2x THEN f(x+2) = 2(x+2)

IF f(x) = 2x+1 THEN f(x+2) = 2(x+2) + 1 etc.

Then you follow the standard order of operations.

IF y=f(x) + 1 you calculate f(x) then add in 1 to calculate y.

IF y=-f(x) + 1 you calculate -f(x) then add in 1 to calculate y.

IF y=-[f(x) + 1] you calculate f(x), add in 1, and THEN flip the sign to determine your y value.

I understand that it can be frustrating when learning new concepts in math. However, it is important to remember that understanding the order of transformations in a function is crucial in accurately graphing it. The general rule is to perform the transformations in the following order: 1) horizontal shifts, 2) vertical shifts, 3) reflections, and 4) stretches or compressions.

In the example you provided, it seems that you correctly performed the reflection first and then the vertical shift. However, your teacher's approach of performing the vertical shift first and then the reflection is also correct. This is because the order in which transformations are performed does not affect the final result, as long as all the transformations are done correctly.

To determine the order of transformations, it is important to understand the effects of each transformation on the graph. For example, a horizontal shift will move the graph left or right, a vertical shift will move the graph up or down, a reflection will flip the graph across a line, and a stretch or compression will change the shape of the graph.

One strategy to help remember the order is to think about the order in which these transformations physically occur. For example, if you were to physically perform these transformations on a piece of paper, you would first move the paper left or right (horizontal shift), then move it up or down (vertical shift), then flip it over (reflection), and finally stretch or compress it (stretch or compression).

I recommend practicing with different functions and identifying the order of transformations to solidify your understanding. Additionally, do not hesitate to ask your teacher for clarification if you are still unsure. With practice and understanding of the order of transformations, I am confident you will improve in graphing functions with multiple transformations.

Related to Why Does the Order of Transformations Affect the Graph of a Function?

1. What are the different types of transformations of functions?

The three main types of transformations of functions are translations, reflections, and dilations. Translations involve shifting the entire graph horizontally or vertically. Reflections involve flipping the graph over a line of symmetry. Dilations involve stretching or shrinking the graph horizontally or vertically.

2. How do transformations affect the domain and range of a function?

Transformations do not change the domain of a function, but they can change the range. For example, a horizontal translation will not change the x-values in the domain, but a vertical translation can shift the y-values in the range. Dilations can also affect the range by stretching or shrinking the graph.

3. Can transformations change the shape of a function?

Yes, transformations can change the shape of a function. For example, a reflection over the x-axis will result in the graph being flipped upside down. A dilation can also change the shape by stretching or shrinking the graph horizontally or vertically.

4. How do you determine the equation of a transformed function?

To determine the equation of a transformed function, you can use the general formula for each type of transformation. For example, for a horizontal translation, you would add or subtract the translation amount from the x-values in the original function. For a vertical dilation, you would multiply the original function by the dilation factor.

5. What is the difference between pre-image and image in terms of transformations?

The pre-image refers to the original function before any transformations have been applied. The image refers to the transformed function after the transformations have been applied. The image is a result of applying the transformations to the pre-image.