Advice to obtain the domain of compound functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the inverse of secondary trigonometric functions, specifically the inverse function of secant. The definition and domain of this inverse function are given, along with its graph and an identity involving it. The speaker expresses confusion about how to determine the domain and range of a function given only its identities. There is also a discussion about a possible typo in the original text.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I'm familiar to this ground, but the function composition I introduce is difficult for me
Hi PF

I have a quote from Spanish 6th edition of "Calculus", by Robert A. Adams, and some queries. I translate it this way:"The inverse of secondary trigonometric functions can easily be calculated with the reciprocal function. For example
DEFINITION 13 The inverse function of secant ##sec^{-1} x## (or ##\mbox{arcsec}x##)
$$sec^{-1}=cos^{-1}\left({\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)\quad for\;|x|\geq 1$$
The domain of ##\sec^{-1}## is the union of intervals ##(-\infty,-1]\cup{[1,\infty)}## and ##[0,\dfrac{\pi}{2})\cup{(\dfrac{\pi}{2},\pi)}##. The graph of ##y=sec^{-1}x## is shown in Figure 3.25(b)(*). Is the reflection respect to the line ##y=x## of the part of ##\sec x## for ##x## between 0 and ##\pi##. Additionally
$$\sec(\sec^{-1}x)=\sec\left({\cos^{-1}\left({\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)}\right)
=\dfrac{1}{\cos\left({\cos^{-1}\left({\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)}\right)}=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{x}}=x\qquad{\mbox{for}\;|x|\geq 1}$$Up to now I've got to deal only with very easy compound functions. This quote represents a qualitative step forward. The domains and ranges are shown, but I would like to know: what if I had to do it by myself, if I was given only the identities, and had to manage to describe the domain and range of, suppose, the one at DEFINITION 13?

$$cos^{-1}\left({\dfrac{1}{x}}\right)$$

With no other help but the knowledge of the domain of ##y=\mbox{arcos}(x)##, ##(-1\leq x\leq 1)##, and ##\mathbb{R}\setminus{\{0\}}## for ##\dfrac{1}{x}##

As well, isn't there a mistake, a typo, at the sentence "Is the reflection respect to the line ##y=x## of the part of ##\sec x## for ##x## between 0 and ##\pi##"? Shouldn't be "of the part of ##sec^{-1} x##"?.

(*)Attached image

Attempt: Pure speculation; don't know why, but I've come across this statement: domain shouldn't be the intersection of the domain of ##y=\cos x## and the domain of the inverse function of ##y=\dfrac{1}{x}##?

Attachments

• geogebra-export (2).png
    geogebra-export (2).png
    23.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've typed the formulas with #### and $$$$. Why didn't I post successfully?. :oldcry:

mcastillo356 said:
I've typed the formulas with #### and $$$$. Why didn't I post successfully?. :oldcry:
You have simple forgotten a single "#" somewhere early. That was all. I corrected it.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356

What is a compound function?

A compound function is a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is formed by taking the output of one function and using it as the input for another function.

Why is it important to obtain the domain of compound functions?

Obtaining the domain of compound functions is important because it helps us determine the set of all possible inputs for the function. This allows us to identify any limitations or restrictions on the function and ensure that it is well-defined.

How do you obtain the domain of a compound function?

To obtain the domain of a compound function, you need to first identify the individual functions that make up the compound function. Then, determine the domain of each individual function and find the intersection of all the domains. This will give you the domain of the compound function.

What are some common mistakes when obtaining the domain of compound functions?

Some common mistakes when obtaining the domain of compound functions include forgetting to consider any restrictions on the individual functions, such as square root or logarithmic functions, and not accounting for any possible division by zero in the composition of the functions.

Can the domain of a compound function ever be empty?

Yes, the domain of a compound function can be empty if the individual functions have overlapping restrictions or if there is a division by zero in the composition of the functions. In this case, there are no possible inputs that would result in a valid output for the compound function.