Composition of Transformations

In summary, when applying any two reflections, the outcome will always either be equivalent to a rotation or a translation.
Zoey93
Here is the question:

Provide a logical argument that demonstrates that when applying any two reflections, the outcome will always either be equivalent to a rotation or a translation.

This is what I came up with:

•Translation

A reflection is defined as, “a transformation in which a geometric figure is reflected across a line, creating a mirror image. The line is called the axis of reflection” (uCertify). So, in order for a transformation to be a reflection there must be a line or lines representing the axis of reflection. We know that lines in a plane must either intersect or be parallel. Reflecting a figure in a line and then reflecting the image in a parallel line has the same result as translating the figure in a direction perpendicular to the reflection lines for a distance equal to twice the distance between the lines. In other words, the product of two reflections across parallel lines will always produce a translation.

•Rotation
A reflection is defined as, “a transformation in which a geometric figure is reflected across a line, creating a mirror image. The line is called the axis of reflection” (uCertify). The line is called the axis of reflection” (uCertify). So, in order for a transformation to be a reflection there must be a line or lines representing the axis of reflection. We know that lines in a plane must either intersect or be parallel. Reflecting a figure in a line and then reflecting the image in an intersecting line has the same results as rotating the original figure about the intersection point of the lines by an angle equal to twice the angle formed by the reflection lines. In other words, the product of two reflections across perpendicular lines will always produce a rotation.

My professor told me that I need more explanation for why two reflections across parallel lines results in a translation and why two reflections across intersecting lines results in a rotation. He said that I just seem to say it is that way and that I give properties for a rotation and translation, but that I don't explain why two reflections result in a rotation or translation.

Can anyone please help me figure this out??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I agree with your professor. Here's a solution for the case of intersecting lines. I'll leave the parallel case to you; similar to the following, set up a coordinate system and calculate the matrix of the composition of the reflections. If you have problems, post again.

fu0qxt.png

This problem has also been discussed in https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/11272/.

Related to Composition of Transformations

1. What is the composition of transformations?

The composition of transformations is a mathematical concept that involves combining two or more transformations, such as translations, rotations, and reflections, to create a new transformation. This new transformation is the result of applying one transformation followed by the other.

2. Why is the composition of transformations important?

The composition of transformations is important because it allows us to create more complex transformations by combining simpler ones. This is useful in various fields such as geometry, computer graphics, and robotics, where multiple transformations are often required to achieve a desired result.

3. How do you perform the composition of transformations?

To perform the composition of transformations, you first apply one transformation to the object or shape, and then apply the next transformation to the resulting object. This process is repeated until all desired transformations have been applied. It's important to apply the transformations in the correct order to achieve the desired result.

4. Can any two transformations be composed?

No, not all transformations can be composed. The transformations must be compatible, meaning they must have the same number of dimensions and use the same coordinate system. For example, you cannot compose a 2D transformation with a 3D transformation.

5. What is the difference between pre-composition and post-composition of transformations?

Pre-composition involves applying the transformations from right to left, while post-composition involves applying the transformations from left to right. In other words, in pre-composition, the transformation on the right is applied first, while in post-composition, the transformation on the left is applied first. This can result in different final transformations depending on the order in which the transformations are applied.