Why Does the Curl Product Rule Seem Confusing?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the Curl Product Rule in Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics. The difference between the terms (\bold{A}\cdot\nabla)\bold{B} and \bold{B}(\nabla\cdot\bold{A}) is explained, with the understanding that the del-dot operator is not commutative. The conversation ends with a link to further reading on the subject.
Saladsamurai
Curl Product Rule confusion?

Homework Statement

In Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics, he gives the rule:

[tex]\nabla\times(\bold{A}\times\bold{B})=(\bold{B}\cdot\nabla)\bold{A}-(\bold{A}\cdot\nabla)\bold{B}+\bold{A}(\nabla\cdot\bold{B})-\bold{B}(\nabla\cdot\bold{A})[/tex]

Now I know I am missing something stupid here, but what is the difference between [itex](\bold{A}\cdot\nabla)\bold{B}[/itex] and [itex]\bold{B}(\nabla\cdot\bold{A})[/itex] ?

The dot product commutes doesn't it? And then we are left with a scalar times a vector

If [itex](\bold{A}\cdot\nabla)=(\nabla\cdot\bold{A})=k[/itex]

then what is the difference between kB and Bk ?

I know I am doing something wrong, but what?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Saladsamurai,

The dot product on a vector space commutes because the scalars commute. The dot product in your formula isn't quite the same. Notice that, for example, the first terms of [tex]\mathbf{A}\cdot \nabla[/tex] and [tex]\nabla\cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex] are [tex]A_1\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}A_1[/tex], respectively, which are not the same.

I still don't see it, why did you add a prime symbol?

If A is some vector with components [itex]<A_x, A_y, A_z>[/itex] and the operator [itex]\nabla =<\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y},\frac{\partial}{\partial z}>[/itex]

oh nevermind... this is something I don't really need to understand.

I think my confusion stems from the inherently weird definition of [itex]\nabla[/itex].

(keep in mind I am an engineer :smile:)

Saladsamurai said:
I still don't see it, why did you add a prime symbol?
That's a comma. Without the symbols inline, it does look like a prime.

If A is some vector with components [itex]<A_x, A_y, A_z>[/itex] and the operator [itex]\nabla =<\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y},\frac{\partial}{\partial z}>[/itex]

oh nevermind... this is something I don't really need to understand.

I think my confusion stems from the inherently weird definition of [itex]\nabla[/itex].

(keep in mind I am an engineer :smile:)
A and the parital derivative don't commute.

[tex]\nabla \cdot A[/tex]
is a scalar that will act on the vector B.

[tex]A \cdot \nabla[/tex]
is a derivative operator, scaled by A, that can act on the vector B.

It's goofy notation, but it's what we have.

Phrak said:
That's a comma. Without the symbols inline, it does look like a prime.

A and the parital derivative don't commute.

[tex]\nabla \cdot A[/tex]
is a scalar that will act on the vector B.

[tex]A \cdot \nabla[/tex]
is a derivative operator, scaled by A, that can act on the vector B.

It's goofy notation, but it's what we have.

This makes more sense now. Thanks :smile:

Defennder said:
See this:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ConvectiveOperator.html

The del-dot operator isn't commutative.

I will read in the morning; after that Divergence thread, I realize that I am toast at this point :smile:

thanks for the link

Related to Why Does the Curl Product Rule Seem Confusing?

1. What is the Curl Product Rule?

The Curl Product Rule is a mathematical formula used to calculate the curl of a vector field. It is used in vector calculus to determine the direction and magnitude of a vector field's rotation at a specific point.

2. How is the Curl Product Rule calculated?

The Curl Product Rule is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient and the vector field, and then taking the dot product of that result with the del operator.

3. When is the Curl Product Rule used?

The Curl Product Rule is used in physics and engineering to analyze fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other phenomena involving vector fields. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic visual effects.

4. What are some common sources of confusion with the Curl Product Rule?

One common source of confusion is understanding the notation used in the formula. Another is understanding the geometric interpretation of the curl and how it relates to the vector field's rotation. Additionally, understanding when and how to use the Curl Product Rule in various applications can also cause confusion.

5. Are there any limitations to the Curl Product Rule?

Yes, the Curl Product Rule is only applicable to vector fields in three-dimensional space. It also assumes that the vector field is continuously differentiable and that the second-order partial derivatives exist. Additionally, it only measures the rotation of a vector field at a specific point and does not account for the overall behavior of the field.