What is the significance of this curl product rule?

In summary, the order of the A, B, and also the significance of the ##\nabla## being on the left, or right, of what it is multiplying are all unclear.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Verify the identity:

## \nabla \times ( A \times B) = (B\bullet \nabla)A - (A\bullet\nabla)B + A(\nabla \bullet B)-B(\nabla\bullet A)##

My issue here is I don't understand the significance of why a term has B or A on the left of the dot product, and another has B or A on the right? (Eg ## B(\nabla)

Also, what is the significance of the ## \nabla ## being on the left, or right, of what it is multiplying? (Eg ## \langle \frac {d} {dx}, \frac {d} {dy}, \frac {d} {dz} \rangle \bullet \langle a_1, a_2, a_3 \rangle = \langle a_1, a_2, a_3 \rangle \bullet \langle \frac {d} {dx}, \frac {d} {dy}, \frac {d} {dz} \rangle##, or if the ## \nabla ## is on the right, does that leave the operator open to work on whichever comes AFTER the dot product?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have my solution attached as a thumbnail, because it's pretty hefty.

problem.png

Why does my solution look different than the given solution at the top?

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:
does that leave the operator open to work on whichever comes AFTER the dot product?
Yes.
A somewhat less confusing - but perhaps less memorable - way to write the identity is:

$$\nabla\times (A\times B)\equiv B\cdot[\nabla A]-A\cdot[\nabla B]+(\nabla\cdot B)A-(\nabla\cdot A)B$$
the items in square brackets are vector fields and those in round parentheses are scalar fields. So the latter can be applied to vector fields by scalar multiplication.

andrewkirk said:
Yes.
A somewhat less confusing - but perhaps less memorable - way to write the identity is:

$$\nabla\times (A\times B)\equiv B\cdot[\nabla A]-A\cdot[\nabla B]+(\nabla\cdot B)A-(\nabla\cdot A)B$$
the items in square brackets are vector fields and those in round parentheses are scalar fields. So the latter can be applied to vector fields by scalar multiplication.

Okay, I think I get it, but how come in my solution it seems like the A always comes first? I'm not sure what I did wrong, and why am I interpreting the ## \nabla ## as always being on the left?

@RyanTAsher Your derivation goes wrong in the fourth line - the long one that you split across two lines. The elements of your first coordinate are all derivatives with respect to ##x##, which is the one coordinate with respect to which no derivatives should appear in the first coordinate of the curl.

andrewkirk said:
@RyanTAsher Your derivation goes wrong in the fourth line - the long one that you split across two lines. The elements of your first coordinate are all derivatives with respect to ##x##, which is the one coordinate with respect to which no derivatives should appear in the first coordinate of the curl.

I'm clearly misinterpreting something then... I think I've fixed, but still not sure how this affects the order of the A, B, and also not sure of how to resolve this into the final answer. I've only done the first component.

hmmm.png

Related to What is the significance of this curl product rule?

What is the significance of the curl product rule?

The curl product rule is a mathematical formula used in vector calculus to find the curl of a vector field that is the product of two functions. It is significant because it allows scientists to calculate the curl of more complex vector fields and further analyze fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

How is the curl product rule derived?

The curl product rule can be derived from the definition of the curl and the product rule in calculus. By expanding the components of the vector field and applying the product rule, the resulting formula is the curl product rule.

What is the difference between the curl product rule and the product rule in calculus?

The product rule in calculus is used for finding the derivative of a product of two functions, whereas the curl product rule is used for finding the curl of a vector field that is the product of two functions. The two rules have different applications and are derived from different definitions.

What are some real-life applications of the curl product rule?

The curl product rule has various applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze fluid flow patterns, calculate magnetic fields, and create realistic visual effects in computer graphics.

Are there any limitations to the curl product rule?

Like all mathematical formulas, the curl product rule has its limitations. It can only be applied to vector fields that are the product of two functions and cannot be used for more complex vector fields. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate representation of real-life phenomena and should be used in conjunction with other mathematical methods and experimental data.