Why Does My Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 Shut Off When Switching Modes?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary: Most likely it's the batteries but you won't know for sure until you use the charger for a different battery. Putting the batteries in a different charger may not be conclusive.The charger will use some fairly simple tests on the charging current and voltage, to decide when the battery is fully charged and switch off. This is because modern rechargeable batteries don't like being overcharged.
leroyjenkens
I have a Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1, and it's been acting funny lately. I charged the batteries all the way up and turned it on and it kept shutting back off immediately. There's a dial on top of the camera that changes what you want to do. There's a settings option, film option, still picture option, etc. Well, if it's in the settings option, it turns on and stays on, but if it's in any other option (any option that takes pictures or film), then it just turns on and shuts right back off. Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm going on a trip next weekend and need this camera, so I have to know if I just need to buy a new one.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have a weak battery. I once had a situation where I fully charged a set of batteries and my volt meter said they were fully charged but they wouldn't drive the camera and what I discovered was that when even a small load was put on them, the voltage dropped significantly.

phinds said:
You might have a weak battery. I once had a situation where I fully charged a set of batteries and my volt meter said they were fully charged but they wouldn't drive the camera and what I discovered was that when even a small load was put on them, the voltage dropped significantly.

Thanks. I just found some different batteries to try and they work. I did exactly as you said, I charged these other ones all the way up (but for some reason the light on my charger will go out and when I unplug it and plug it back in, the light comes back on. I assume when the light is out they're not charging. But it keeps doing that. Maybe these batteries are just bad) and took this camera out to a nature hike and was disappointed that the camera wouldn't work.
But yeah, thanks. I'm glad it's not the camera that's the problem.

As for that battery charger, do you think it's the batteries causing the light to go out or do you think it's the charger that's the problem? Maybe I could try charging them in something else and seeing if they work.

leroyjenkens said:
As for that battery charger, do you think it's the batteries causing the light to go out or do you think it's the charger that's the problem? Maybe I could try charging them in something else and seeing if they work.

Most likely it's the batteries but you won't know for sure until you use the charger for a different battery. Putting the batteries in a different charger may not be conclusive.

Likes 1 person
The charger will use some fairly simple tests on the charging current and voltage, to decide when the battery is fully charged and switch off. This is because modern rechargeable batteries don't like being overcharged.

But if the battery is faulty, e.g. it has a high internal resistance, those tests will give the wrong result and the charger may "switch off" early.

Similarly the camera will also sense the battery voltage, and shut down completely before it gets low enough so that the camera electronics don't work properly - that could corrupt video that you had already recorded, etc, which is not a good idea!

It's not worth trying to work around the fact that the batteries is out of specification. Just throw them away (or better, recycle them).

FWIW if you recharge a "fully charged" good battery, it is quite normal for it to "charge" for a short time (a few minutes at most) before the charger switches off. Charging the battery generates heat, and that changes the battery voltage. (And for some types of battery, the charger may sense the battery temperature and shut down if it gets too high).

Likes 1 person

Related to Why Does My Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 Shut Off When Switching Modes?

1. Why won't my Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 stay on?

There could be several reasons why your camera is not staying on. It could be due to a low battery, a faulty power button, or a malfunctioning internal component. Try charging the battery fully and see if that helps. If not, you may need to have it repaired by a professional.

2. How do I troubleshoot my Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 when it won't stay on?

First, make sure the battery is fully charged. If that doesn't work, try removing the battery and memory card for a few minutes, then reinsert them and try turning on the camera again. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you should contact Sony for further assistance.

3. Is there a reset button on the Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1?

Yes, there is a reset button on the bottom of the camera. You can press and hold it for a few seconds to reset the camera. However, this may not fix the issue if it is a hardware problem.

4. Can I fix my Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 myself if it won't stay on?

It depends on the cause of the problem. If it is a simple issue like a low battery or a loose connection, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if it is a more complex internal issue, it is best to have it repaired by a professional to avoid causing further damage.

5. How much does it cost to repair a Sony Cybershot Dsc-w1 that won't stay on?

The cost of repairing your camera will depend on the extent of the damage and the specific parts that need to be replaced. It is best to contact Sony directly or take your camera to an authorized repair center for an estimate.