Why Does My Calculation of the Limit Differ from My Professor's?

• Thread starter mr_garlic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
I appreciate the reassurance.In summary, the limit as x approaches infinity of the given expression is 0 due to the fact that the bottom term tends towards infinity and the top term remains constant. This is a correct solution and any alternative answers are likely due to starting from a different problem.
mr_garlic

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{e^{2x}+9}-e^x[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{x} = \infty[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} e^x = \infty [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{e^{2x}+9}-e^x = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{2x}+9-e^{2x}}{\sqrt{e^{2x}+9}+e^x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{9}{\sqrt{e^{2x}+9}+e^x}[/tex]

The limit as x>infty of sqrt(x) is infty
the limit as x>infty of e^2x is infty
the entire bottom term tends towards infinity as x tends towards infinity
therefore
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{9}{\sqrt{e^{2x}+9}+e^x}=0[/tex]

My professor had a different answer that we didn't have time to go over in class, and my answer just doesn't feel right. Where did I make my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. I don't see how your professor could come up with a different value unless the two of you started from different problems.

Thanks, I've been running through this again and again for the past couple days.

Related to Why Does My Calculation of the Limit Differ from My Professor's?

1. Why is it important to admit when I am wrong?

Admitting when you are wrong is an important aspect of the scientific process. It allows for the correction of mistakes and the improvement of knowledge. It also promotes humility and open-mindedness, which are crucial for making accurate observations and drawing valid conclusions.

2. How do I know if I am wrong?

One way to know if you are wrong is to objectively evaluate the evidence and data that supports your claim. If the evidence does not support your conclusion, then it is likely that you are wrong. It is also important to consider alternative explanations and seek feedback from other scientists in your field.

3. What should I do if I realize I am wrong?

If you realize that you are wrong, the first step is to acknowledge your mistake. Then, you should reevaluate your hypothesis and conclusions and make any necessary revisions. It is also important to communicate your findings and corrections to others in the scientific community.

4. How do I avoid being wrong in the future?

To avoid being wrong in the future, it is important to follow the scientific method and conduct thorough and rigorous experiments. It is also crucial to be open to new evidence and constantly reevaluate your conclusions. Collaborating with other scientists and seeking feedback can also help to prevent errors.

5. Is it okay to be wrong in science?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to be wrong in science. In fact, being wrong is a natural part of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries and advancements. It is important to learn from mistakes and use them to improve future research. As long as scientists are open to acknowledging and correcting their mistakes, being wrong can ultimately lead to more accurate and reliable knowledge.