Can the Limit of Bayes' Risk Be Bounded by the Error in Conditional Expectation?

• Thread starter GabrielN00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is to prove that the limit of a certain equation is equal to zero, based on the given conditions. The idea is to use a specific function and show that it can be bounded, which would then prove the desired result.
GabrielN00

Homework Statement

Prove ##\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{\mathbb{E}(L_n)-L^*}{\sqrt{\mathbb{E}( ( \eta_n(X)-\eta(X) )^2 )}}=0##

if ##\eta_n## verifies ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \mathbb{E}( ( \eta_n(X)-\eta(X) )^2 )=0##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea might be to use ##g_n(x)=1_{\{\eta_n(x)>1/2\}}## because now ##\mathbb{E}(L_n)-L^*=2\mathbb{E}(|n(X)-1/2|1_{\{g(X)\neq g^*(X)\}})##. Now I want to show that ##\mathbb{E}(L_n)-L^*=2\mathbb{E}(|n(X)-1/2|1_{\{g(X)\neq g^*(X)\}})## can be bounded, this is, I want to prove there is an ##\epsilon## such such that ## \mathbb{E}(|n(X)-1/2|1_{\{g(X)\neq g^*(X)\}})\leq \mathbb{E}(|n(X)-\eta_n(X)|1_{\{g(X)\neq g^*(X)\}}1_{|\eta(X)-1/2|\leq \epsilon}1_{\eta(X)\neq1/2}) + \mathbb{E}(|n(X)-\eta_n(X)|1_{\{g(X)\neq g^*(X)\}}1_{|\eta(X)-1/2|> \epsilon})##.

If the latter can proved, and it is bounded, taking limits would show the limit of the problem is zero.I want to prove that such ##\epsilon## exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize some details may be needed, that I didn't write in the first message. Here is some extra context, I would add it to the original post but I can't edit (or I cannot figure out how to do so). The object of the proof is to show that ##L_n-L^*## converges to ##0## faster than the error ##L_2##, the conditional expectation error. ##L^*## denotes Bayes' risk. The function ##\eta## is given by ##\eta(x)=\mathbb{E}(Y|X=x)## and ##L_n## is the empirical prediction error.

Related to Can the Limit of Bayes' Risk Be Bounded by the Error in Conditional Expectation?

1. What is Bayes' risk?

Bayes' risk is a measure of the expected loss or cost associated with a decision or action, taking into account both the potential outcomes and the probabilities of those outcomes. It is commonly used in decision theory and statistical inference.

2. How is Bayes' risk calculated?

Bayes' risk is calculated by multiplying the loss associated with each possible outcome by the probability of that outcome, and then summing these values. This gives the expected loss or cost for a particular decision or action.

3. What is a limit involving Bayes' risk?

A limit involving Bayes' risk is a mathematical concept that describes how the expected loss or cost changes as the number of observations or data points increases. It is used to analyze the performance of decision-making methods and to assess the accuracy of statistical models.

4. How is Bayes' risk used in machine learning?

Bayes' risk is used in machine learning as a measure of the expected loss or cost associated with a particular predictive model. It is often used in conjunction with other metrics, such as accuracy and precision, to evaluate and compare different models.

5. What are some limitations of using Bayes' risk?

One limitation of using Bayes' risk is that it assumes the probabilities of outcomes are known and accurate. In reality, these probabilities may be uncertain or difficult to estimate. Additionally, Bayes' risk may not be suitable for all decision-making scenarios, as it does not consider the potential consequences of different decision options.