Why does [1H2O->1(H) + 1(OH)], yet [10^(-14)M=10^(-7)M+10^(-7)M]?

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ionization of H2O into H and OH, and how this relates to the reaction 10(H2O)→10(H)+10(OH). The participants also discuss the difference between concentration and quantity, and how this applies to the equation 10^{-14}M(H2O) = 10^{-7}M(H^{+})+10^{-7}M(OH^{-}) and the concept of marbles fusing into purple marbles. The conversation ends with the reminder to not start separate threads when the topic is already being discussed elsewhere.
LearninDaMath
Say I have 10(H2O) that ionizes into H and OH. The reaction would be

10(H2O)→10(H) +10(OH)

Because if you have 10 of something, and then then split it into 2 pieces, you have 10 of each piece.

If I have 1 piece of paper and I tear it into 2 pieces, I have 1 piece in my right hand and 1 piece in my left hand. It makes sense.

The reactions is
1 full paper → 1 torn piece + 1 torn piece.

So just like 1 torn piece of paper + 1 torn piece of paper ≠ 2 full pieces of paper,

10(H)+10(OH) ≠ 20(H2O).

But how the the heck is this following equation true:

[itex]10^{-14}M(H2O) = 10^{-7}M(H^{+})+10^{-7}M(OH^{-})[/itex]

Why is it not:

[itex]10^{-7}M(H2O) = 10^{-7}M(H^{+})+10^{-7}M(OH^{-})[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if this question makes any sense or not?

If I have 10 blue marbles and drop them into a Liter of water, the concentration will be 10 blue marbles/1L

If I have 10 red marbles and drop them into a liter of water, the concentration will be 10 red marbles/1L

With 10 blue marbles + 10 red marbles dropped into a Liter of water, I will obviously have 20 separate marbles/1L

But if each red and blue marble fused into a purple marble, I'd end up with 10 purple marbles/1L.

What I'm saying is, the concentration of marbles/Liters stays the same. There is no reason to do any addition if the marbles are fusing into purple marbles.

So why is there addition when speaking on this reaction:

[itex]10^{-14}M(H2O) = 10^{-7}M(H^{+})+10^{-7}M(OH^{-})[/itex]

How is concentration so different than quantity, that in one instance 1A+1B→1(AB), yet for another instance, 1M(A)+1M(B) → 2M(AB)

Please don't start separate threads when the problem is already discussed elsewhere.

You started with an incorrect premise. No idea where you got it from. Correct equation is

[tex]K_w = [H^+][OH^-] = 10^{-14}[/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4105295#post4105295

Topic locked.

Related to Why does [1H2O->1(H) + 1(OH)], yet [10^(-14)M=10^(-7)M+10^(-7)M]?

1. Why does water split into hydrogen and hydroxide ions?

Water molecules are composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. When water is split, one of the hydrogen atoms loses its electron and becomes a positively charged hydrogen ion (H+). The other hydrogen atom takes the electron and forms a negatively charged hydroxide ion (OH-). This splitting occurs because water molecules have a slight polarity, meaning the electrons are not evenly distributed between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

2. Why is the concentration of water (10^(-14)M) equal to the sum of the concentrations of hydrogen and hydroxide ions (10^(-7)M + 10^(-7)M)?

In pure water, a small percentage of water molecules naturally split into hydrogen and hydroxide ions. This process is known as self-ionization. The concentration of each ion is equal because for every hydrogen ion that forms, a hydroxide ion is also formed. Therefore, the sum of their concentrations will always be equal to the concentration of water.

3. How does temperature affect the self-ionization of water?

Temperature has a direct effect on the self-ionization of water. As the temperature increases, more water molecules have enough energy to split into hydrogen and hydroxide ions. This results in an increase in the concentration of both ions. Conversely, at lower temperatures, the self-ionization of water is reduced, resulting in a lower concentration of ions.

4. Why is the self-ionization of water considered an equilibrium reaction?

The self-ionization of water is considered an equilibrium reaction because it can occur in both forward and reverse directions. As water molecules split into ions, they can also recombine to form water molecules again. At any given time, the concentration of ions in water is determined by the equilibrium between these two reactions.

5. How is the pH of a solution related to the self-ionization of water?

The pH of a solution is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. In pure water, the concentration of hydrogen ions is equal to the concentration of hydroxide ions, resulting in a neutral pH of 7. However, when other substances are dissolved in water, the balance between hydrogen and hydroxide ions can shift, resulting in a different pH value. This makes the self-ionization of water an important factor in determining the acidity or basicity of a solution.