PH of 6,0*10^-4 M NaNO2 solution

• Thread starter TheSodesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: I can't see any need for iterations (although I do use them when appropriate).In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the pH of a solution containing a salt of an acid, NaNO2. The correct answer is pH = 7.20, but using the ICE table method produces pH = 7.09. One approach to solving this problem is to take into account the auto-dissociation of water, which can be done by using the formula K_b = (x^2)/(6*10^-4-x). Another approach is to use the iterative process, substituting the values for Kb, [B]0, and [OH-] into the formula for acids. The conversation concludes that both methods can
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

It's all in the title. Correct answer: pH = 7,20. [itex]K_a (HNO_2) = 4,0 \cdot 10^{-4}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]K_b = \dfrac{K_w}{K_a}[/tex]
[tex]K_b = \dfrac{HB^+ \cdot OH^-}{B}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

NaNO2 fully dissolves in water giving [itex]6,0 \cdot 10^{-4} M \, NO2^-[/itex]. Now water forms an equilibrium with NO2- as it gives H+ to NO2-:

[tex]NO_2 ^- + H_2 O \leftrightharpoons HNO_2 + OH^-[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
c & NO_2^- & HNO_2 & OH^-\\
\hline
At \, start & 6 \cdot 10^{-4} & 0 & 0 \\
At \, equilibrium & 6 \cdot 10^{-4}-x & x & x
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Now

[itex]K_b = \dfrac{x^2}{6 \cdot 10^{-4}-x} \leftrightarrow x^2 + K_b x - 6K_b \cdot 10^{-4} = 0 \\

\rightarrow x = \dfrac{-K_b \stackrel{+}{(-)} \sqrt{(K_b)^2 - 4(1)(-6K_b \cdot 10^{-4})}}{2}
= 1,22462 \cdot 10^{-7} = [HO^-]\\

\rightarrow pH = 14 - pOH = 14 + lg[OH^-] = 7,088
[/itex]

This is not the correct answer (7,20). What am I missing? Water? I only know the iterative process for determining the correct [H+] for low concentrations H+ (when water has an effect on the result as Zumdahl describes it), not OH-.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it is one of these cases where water autodissociation can't be ignored. 7.20 is an answer I got for an exact solution (done with BATE, pH calculator), 7.09 is what the ICE table produces.

In general this requires solving a 3rd degree polynomial.

Borek said:
Looks like it is one of these cases where water autodissociation can't be ignored. 7.20 is an answer I got for an exact solution (done with BATE, pH calculator), 7.09 is what the ICE table produces.

In general this requires solving a 3rd degree polynomial.

Ok, now I'm baffled, since unless the polynomial is in product form (=0) I don't think I know how to solve such a thing. So the formula [tex]K_a = \dfrac{[H^+]^2 - K_w}{[HA]_0 - \dfrac{[H^+]^2 - K_w}{[H^+]}}[/tex] isn't going to help me here? What I thought of doing is finding out the [H+] from the calculated pH and using the above formula, but it would require knowing [itex] [HA]_0 [/itex], meaning the amount of acid put into the solution before it dissociated. Sadly that is information I don't have (and there was no acid to begin with, just a salt of an acid).

Borek said:
Assuming NaOH (more precisely: Na+) can be ignored and the only source of pH change is the base NO2- you can follow approach described here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-acid-base-solution

You know the total amount of acid, why do you say you don't know it? It is what is given.

Turns out it was much simpler and I didn't have to go beyond what the book teaches. I tried the iteration process to find out [OH-], but with Kb, [ B ]0 and [OH-] instead of the values used in the formula for acids in the book as follows

[tex] K_b = \dfrac{[OH^-]^2 - K_w}{[ B ]_0 - \dfrac{[OH^-]_0^2 - K_w}{[OH^-]_0}} [/tex]

, and got the right answer. I suppose I could have derived the formula for bases myself by applying mass-, charge- and other conservation laws, just like the iteration formula for acids([H+]) was derived. Still, this conversation helped my thinking, so thanks for that.

I'm getting pH 7.2 as near as makes no difference., with a square rooting but no polynomial equations

[OH-] - [H+] = [Na+] - [NO2-] = [HNO2] = [H+][NO2-] /Ka

I then make the approximation [NO2-] = [Na+] which, since we have salt of strong base and weak acid and we must be above pH 7 is good to better than 1/1000, and thence get, as the numbers happen to be easy

[HNO2] = (3/2) [H+]]

and thence from first line

(5/2) [H+] = [OH-]

and thence via the Kw equation [H+] = 0.4×10-7 and square-rooting etc. finally pH = 7.1989 insignificantly different from 7.2.

I hope you can see these are fairly natural steps.

Last edited:

Related to PH of 6,0*10^-4 M NaNO2 solution

1. What does the pH of 6,0*10^-4 M NaNO2 solution mean?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity or basicity. A pH of 6,0*10^-4 indicates that the solution is slightly acidic, with a concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) of 6,0*10^-4 moles per liter.

2. How is the pH of a solution calculated?

The pH of a solution is calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. In this case, the pH would be -log(6,0*10^-4) = 3.22.

3. Why is the pH of the NaNO2 solution acidic?

Sodium nitrite (NaNO2) is a weak base, meaning it does not fully dissociate in water and leaves some hydroxide ions (OH-) and nitrite ions (NO2-) in the solution. These ions can react with water to form more hydrogen ions, making the solution slightly acidic.

4. What factors can affect the pH of the NaNO2 solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the solute (in this case, NaNO2), temperature, and the presence of other acids or bases in the solution. These factors can alter the equilibrium of the weak base and its ions in the solution, leading to a change in pH.

5. How does the pH of the NaNO2 solution compare to other common substances?

The pH of the NaNO2 solution (3.22) falls within the range of slightly acidic substances, such as lemon juice and vinegar. It is also lower than the neutral pH of 7, indicating that the solution is more acidic than basic.