Buffer Question - With addition of OH-

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pH of a solution made by adding 100 mL of 1 M H3A and 4 mL of 5 M NaOH to 896 mL of water, with a Ka value of 6.309x10^-10. The initial concentrations of H3A and NaOH are used to set up an ice table and solve for the concentration of H3O+. However, the addition of NaOH creates a buffer solution, where the initial concentration of OH- remains relatively constant. To accurately calculate the pH of a buffer solution, the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation should be used, and the assumption of -x being negligible may not always be valid.
sizzeR

Homework Statement

You add 100 mL of 1 M H3A
and 4 mL of 5 M NaOH all in 896mL water
Ka=6.309x10^-10

What is pH of solution made?
H3A+H2O---->H2A-+H3O+

Homework Equations

ka=[h2a][H+]/[H3A]

The Attempt at a Solution

Concentrations initially:
[H3A]=100mL * 1 M / (896+4+100) mL = 0.1 M H3A
[NaOH]=4mL *5 M / (896+4+100) mL = .02 M NaOH

Then, using ice table:
H3A + H2O -----> H2A + H3O+
I .1 M 0 0
C -x +x +x
E .1-x x x

ka=[h2a][H+]/[H3A]
6.3x10^-10=[x^2]/[.1-x] assume -x is negligable.
so solving for x i get 7.94x10-6 M H30+

however,
then looking at my initial amount of NaOH:
OH- + H+ --> H2O
init .02 7.94e-6
chang -7.94e-6 -7.94e-6
fin .02 0
OH = is around .02 M still?
So basically I've gone no where and I do not understand where I am going wrong in this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on your calculations, the pH of the solution should be around 5.2. However, you are correct in noticing that the initial concentration of OH- is still around 0.02 M. This is because the addition of H3A and NaOH creates a buffer solution, where the concentration of OH- is being constantly replenished by the dissociation of H3A. In this case, the initial concentration of OH- will not change significantly.

To accurately calculate the pH of a buffer solution, you need to consider the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA])

In this case, A- represents the conjugate base of H3A, which is H2A-. By using the initial concentrations of H3A and H2A-, you can solve for the pH of the solution.

Additionally, it's important to note that the assumption of -x being negligible is not always valid, especially when dealing with buffer solutions. In this case, it's better to use the quadratic equation to solve for x.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of buffer solutions and how to calculate their pH. Keep up the good work!

Related to Buffer Question - With addition of OH-

What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It contains a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid, which work together to maintain a relatively constant pH.

How does the addition of OH- affect a buffer solution?

The addition of OH- to a buffer solution will cause the pH to increase. This is because the OH- ions will react with the weak acid in the solution, forming the conjugate base and water. This reaction will consume some of the H+ ions in the solution, resulting in an overall increase in pH.

Why is it important to maintain a constant pH in a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is often used in experiments or processes that require a specific pH. By maintaining a constant pH, the buffer solution ensures that the reaction or process can proceed without being affected by small changes in acidity or basicity.

Can a buffer solution contain only a weak acid or a weak base?

No, a buffer solution must contain both a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid. This is because the two components work together to resist changes in pH. If only one component is present, the solution will not act as a buffer.

How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution with the addition of OH-?

To calculate the pH of a buffer solution with the addition of OH-, you will need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]). [A-] represents the concentration of the conjugate base, [HA] represents the concentration of the weak acid, and pKa is the negative log of the acid dissociation constant. You will also need to take into account the change in concentration of the weak acid and conjugate base due to the addition of OH-.