Why do we label ourselves as 'atheist' and 'theist'?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
In summary: At this point, the distinction between theist and atheist is considered an important distinction (by people on both sides). Thus, we have words to describe this distinction. The distinction between santist and asantist is arguably not as culturally important, thus these words are not part of vocabulary of the average English speaker.
Dremmer
"atheist" and "theist".

Do we really need these words?. I mean, we don't have a santist, versus an asantist to refer to whether or not people believe in Santa Claus for instance. Nor do we have words to refer to whether or not people believe in time travel, telepathy, ghosts, the moon landing etc.

Physics news on Phys.org

asantists are vile, ignorant people

Dremmer said:
I mean, we don't have a santist, versus an asantist

Oh gosh...there goes my sparkling water *wipes computer screen*

We don't really need the vast majority of English words. English is definitely not a minimalist language.

Dremmer said:
Nor do we have words to refer to whether or not people believe in time travel, telepathy, ghosts, the moon landing etc.

Oh but we do, we really do...

It just varies depending on who you speak to. :wink:

I'd also add that those theist and atheist are very good descriptive (if misunderstood in the latter case) words. Without them, how would you describe an atheist in one word? Or a theist?

I vote we get rid of philtrum. How often does that come up in conversation? As with everything else, the price of dictionaries is rising faster than inflation. Let's get a handle on the problem and start chopping unnecessary words.

Words exist because people use them. When a word is no longer needed, it falls into the realm of arcane, and people look askance at you when you use it ("verily" for example). When an unnecessary word is invented it is either ignored or deemed spurious and it soon goes away ("copacetic" comes to mind). This completely precludes any debate over whether or not any particular word is needed.

Dremmer said:
Do we really need these words?. I mean, we don't have a santist, versus an asantist to refer to whether or not people believe in Santa Claus for instance. Nor do we have words to refer to whether or not people believe in time travel, telepathy, ghosts, the moon landing etc.

We don't really need a word for the moon, but yet we have one.

People make words for things they consider important enough to talk about. (This is an absurdly obvious statement.)

Either way, the point is that the distinction between theist and atheist is considered an important distinction (by people on both sides). Thus, we have words to describe this distinction. The distinction between santist and asantist is arguably not as culturally important, thus these words are not part of vocabulary of the average English speaker.

Why is there satanist, but no asatanist?

Evo said:

Would that ever take a lot of talk. I like it.
I think atheist are great. I mean they have to be. It takes a lot to not believe in something that is not there in the first place. I don't think I would hire an atheist to do anything because they might be always thinking about what it is they don't delieve in and what belief is in the first place. And even if there was some god not to believe in it would have to be so far beyond our understanding that in short these atheist must be beyond genius!

Lacy33 said:
I think atheist are great. I mean they have to be. It takes a lot to not believe in something that is not there in the first place. I don't think I would hire an atheist to do anything because they might be always thinking about what it is they don't delieve in and what belief is in the first place. And even if there was some god not to believe in it would have to be so far beyond our understanding that in short these atheist must be beyond genius!

Was this a joke or should I point out the flaws?

Jimmy Snyder said:
I vote we get rid of philtrum. How often does that come up in conversation? As with everything else, the price of dictionaries is rising faster than inflation. Let's get a handle on the problem and start chopping unnecessary words.

with enough alcohol, it doesn't come up at all

Even if you consider atheist the default position, it still needs to be defined. Memes determine how useful and common the word would be. If most people were atheists, I reckon then this term would go out of use because non-something does not need to be expressed in the face of minority. It's only when people expect you to be something that you have to express that non-something.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's what Ingsoc is for :biggrin:
Evo said:
I'm asatanist...or wait is that a satanist or asatanist :confused: nevermind...

HeLiXe said:
That's what Ingsoc is for :biggrin:

Newspeak.

Doubleplusgood!

Edit------
Or did you mean Newspeak as opposed to Ingsoc? The punctuation leads me to wonder...

Last edited:

HeLiXe said:
Doubleplusgood!

Edit------
Or did you mean Newspeak as opposed to Ingsoc? The punctuation leads me to wonder...

Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to play with language...

Lacy33 said:

I sometimes wonder what the point is of referring to oneself as atheist. It seems to be more a matter of concern for theists yet atheists seem to be the ones most concerned with its definition.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I sometimes wonder what the point is of referring to oneself as atheist. It seems to be more a matter of concern for theists yet atheists seem to be the ones most concerned with its definition.

Doesn't that make sense? If your opponents are concerned with labelling you X, you would be concerned about defining precisely what X means.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I sometimes wonder what the point is of referring to oneself as atheist.

To describe yourself as not theistic.
It seems to be more a matter of concern for theists yet atheists seem to be the ones most concerned with its definition.

Well in fairness, ensuring the definition is correct is a big thing to me. I don't mind people calling me atheist (it's true), but I can't stand it when people call me it and then describe me as something else by using an incorrect definition.

In that respect, I feel strongly about the definition. (This applies to any word, not just atheist, particularly ones that are assigned to me.)

Oh no... oh no no no no no. Daily, no, by the hour, I've been hearing/reading/watching something, anything, related to the whole "God or no-God" topic/trope/theme/whatever. It's a trap, I tell you! Even something as innocent as this thread is out to get us somehow! The rate of this single topic appearing has been increasing, and the rate of that rate ramping up as well! It's a trap!

/end mindless rave of insanity

lompocus said:
and the rate of that rate ramping up as well!

:smile: What about the rate of the rate of that rate? :-p

lompocus said:
Oh no... oh no no no no no. Daily, no, by the hour, I've been hearing/reading/watching something, anything, related to the whole "God or no-God" topic/trope/theme/whatever. It's a trap, I tell you! Even something as innocent as this thread is out to get us somehow! The rate of this single topic appearing has been increasing, and the rate of that rate ramping up as well! It's a trap!

/end mindless rave of insanity

Coupled with the OP's thread on https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488797", I have a gut feeling this thread is just a masked attempt to spark a debate on religion. We don't do that here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why do we label ourselves as 'atheist' and 'theist'?

1. Why do we even need labels like 'atheist' and 'theist'?

Labels like 'atheist' and 'theist' are used to describe one's belief or lack thereof in a higher power or deity. They help individuals identify and connect with others who share similar beliefs, and can also aid in understanding and discussing different perspectives and ideologies.

2. Can't we just say we believe or don't believe in God without using labels?

While it is certainly possible to express one's beliefs without using labels, these terms provide a concise and universally understood way to articulate one's stance on the existence of a deity. They also carry historical and cultural significance, making them useful in discussions and debates on religion and spirituality.

3. Isn't labeling ourselves as 'atheist' or 'theist' divisive?

Labels like 'atheist' and 'theist' can certainly be divisive if used to judge or discriminate against others. However, they can also promote understanding and acceptance by allowing individuals to openly express and discuss their beliefs without fear of judgment or persecution.

4. What about people who believe in a higher power but don't identify as 'theist'?

While 'theist' is commonly used to describe those who believe in a deity, it is not the only term available. Some may identify as 'agnostic', meaning they believe that the existence of a higher power is unknown or unknowable. Others may use more specific labels, such as 'Christian' or 'Muslim', to describe their religious beliefs.

5. Can't we just do away with labels altogether?

While it may seem desirable to eliminate labels and focus on individual beliefs and identities, it is important to recognize the role that labels play in our society. They provide a sense of community and belonging, and can also serve as a starting point for deeper discussions and understanding. Ultimately, whether or not to use labels is a personal choice, but they can be valuable tools in navigating complex topics such as religion and spirituality.