Why do so many people not believe in the Big Bang?

BadgerBadger92
I see these people everywhere and I wonder why people don’t believe it. Does anyone know why some people think this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
BadgerBadger92 said:
I see these people everywhere and I wonder why people don’t believe it. Does anyone know why some people think this way?
There is some pleasure to be taken in the thought that "I am smarter than those silly scientists". There is some pain to be avoided by not thinking too hard about how one's preconceived view might be wrong.

We believe that which is comfortable to believe. This is a bias that is important to be aware of when striving to think critically.

Likes phinds and BadgerBadger92
It is not consistent with their everyday experiences.

Likes Astronuc, russ_watters, BillTre and 2 others
Frabjous said:
It is not consistent with their everyday experiences.
And with their book.

Likes weirdoguy, BillTre, fresh_42 and 1 other person
I’ve also been seeing a lot of anti relativity talk too.

Why are you shocked that other people don't beleve what we tell them. You don't either. For example, did you follow our advice when you started your community college course?

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Why are you shocked that other people don't beleve what we tell them. You don't either. For example, did you follow our advice when you started your community college course?
I’m going this summer.

I was afraid to go before because I have low confidence in myself. Now I just want to at least try it. More so than finding a better job, I want to learn about the topic. Unfortunately I don’t think they teach relativity or quantum mechanics in community college.

Last edited:
BadgerBadger92 said:
I don’t think they teach relativity or quantum mechanics in community college.
You need to get past long division first:

Pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, Algebra 2, trig, Calculus 1 and 2, Differential equations, College Physics 1 and 2, and then you'll be ready to take those classes. But this isn't the first time you have said this, and it has yet to happen.

In short, you're doing exactly what you don't want others to do. Only the topic is different.

Vanadium 50 said:
You need to get past long division first:

Pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, Algebra 2, trig, Calculus 1 and 2, Differential equations, College Physics 1 and 2, and then you'll be ready to take those classes. But this isn't the first time you have said this, and it has yet to happen.

In short, you're doing exactly what you don't want others to do. Only the topic is different.
I know high school algebra.

I really don’t need your negativity right now. My mom is in a critical state in the hospital and I don’t need you to hurt me more than I am.

I am sorry about your mother. But you shouldn't be surprised that you are getting pushback to the idea that we should look down on these other people who are doing something very similar to what you ahve done here for a decade.

Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
I am sorry about your mother. But you shouldn't be surprised that you are getting pushback to the idea that we should look down on these other people who are doing something very similar to what you ahve done here for a decade.
When have I insulted people on this forum?

BadgerBadger92 said:
Does anyone know why some people think this way?
Most people, have never heard of the Big Bang.
It can be dismissed, as it is a complexity, not relevant to their life.

While I do understand the concept, I do not believe firmly in anything. I am always open to consider alternative interpretations.
I am not a member of the Church of the Big Bang.

Thread is paused for a bit...

Likes fresh_42
BadgerBadger92 said:
This thread was doomed from the start; it is now tied off.

Likes Klystron, Bystander, BillTre and 1 other person