Why Do Photons and Electrons Have Different Density of States?

In summary, the density of states for photons and electrons differ due to the differences in their respective Hamiltonians. While the density of states for nonrelativistic particles is proportional to E^1/2, for photons it is proportional to E^2. This can also be seen in the derivation of the density of states equations for both particles.
vrinda mukund

Homework Statement

density of states of photon gas is proportional to ...

(a)E^1/2 (b)E (c)E^3/2 (d)E^2

Homework Equations

i know the relation for density of states of electrons which is proportional to E^1/2. So far i was thinking that electrons and photons shares the same relation for density of states. i found so in some websites too, where they mention about both electrons and photons during derivation procedure. but answer to the above question is E^2.

my question is, in what way does these two,i.e. density of states of photons and electrons, differs? does the relation for density of states equation for electrons holds good for any another particle? can someone provide me with a link for the derivation of density of states for photons?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference comes from the Hamiltonian. For nonrelativistic particles, [itex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} [/itex] while for photons, [itex] H = c |p| [/itex].

The density of states is usually defined as
[tex] \omega(E) = \sum_{n_i} \delta(E-H(n_i)) [/tex]

For the nonrelativistic case, you get
[tex] \omega(E)_{nr} \sim \int_0^\infty dp p^2 \delta(E-\frac{p^2}{2m}) [/tex]
and substituting [itex]x = p^2/(2m) [/itex],
[tex] \omega(E)_{nr} \sim \int_0^\infty dx \sqrt{2m^3 x} \delta(E-x) = \sqrt{2m^3 E}, [/tex]
where I'm missing all prefactors (do it more carefully yourself!)

For relativistic case, just replace Hamiltonians: the integral is even easier to do in this case.

Related to Why Do Photons and Electrons Have Different Density of States?

1. What is the density of states of photons?

The density of states of photons refers to the number of possible energy states that a photon can occupy within a given range of energy levels.

2. How is the density of states of photons calculated?

The density of states of photons is calculated using the formula dN/dE = VΔE/π²ħ³c³, where dN/dE is the number of allowed energy states, V is the volume of the system, ΔE is the energy range, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and c is the speed of light.

3. How does the density of states of photons differ from that of particles?

The density of states of photons differs from that of particles in the sense that photons are massless particles and therefore do not have a rest mass energy. This leads to a continuous distribution of possible energy states, unlike particles which have discrete energy levels.

4. What is the significance of the density of states of photons?

The density of states of photons is important in understanding the behavior of photons in systems such as semiconductors, where the density of states affects the absorption and emission of light. It also plays a crucial role in various phenomena such as blackbody radiation and the photoelectric effect.

5. How does the density of states of photons affect the properties of a material?

The density of states of photons can affect the properties of a material in several ways. For example, a higher density of states can lead to a higher absorption of light, making the material appear darker. It can also affect the thermal conductivity of a material, as photons carry thermal energy. Additionally, the density of states can influence the material's optical and electrical properties.