Why do my energy calculations not equal each other in this Work-Energy lab?

• Thread starter anonymous12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a Work-Energy lab where the goal is to prove that W = Eg = Ek. The experiment involves a tray attached to a cart on a dynamic track, where the initial and final heights are measured to calculate ∆h. The equations Eg = mgh, Ek = .5mv^2, and W = a x m x ∆d are used to calculate the different forms of energy, but the values do not equal each other. The conversation also mentions the limitations of using a stop watch to measure time accurately. Further clarification is needed to understand the experiment and the calculations being done.
anonymous12

Homework Statement

For our Work-Energy lab, we are supposed to prove that W = Eg = Ek but no matter what I do, my Eg doesn't not equal the Ek = W.

In this lab, we had a tray dangling via a string which is attached to a cart which is on a dynamic track made out of platinum. We let go of the cart (start the stop watch) and when the cart hits the metal beam (we stop the stop watch). We calculated the ∆h by measuring initial height - final height. What am I doing wrong in my calculations?

mass of cart: 0.25468g
∆t = 1.03
mass of tray = .0199kg
∆h = .488m
∆d = 0.5m
a = .94m/s^2
vf = 0.9682m/s

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ek = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Eg = .0199 x 9.8 x .488
Eg = 0.95J

Ek = 0.5 x .25468 x (0.9682)^2
Ek = 0.119J

W = a x m x ∆d
= .94 x .25468 x .5
= 0.119J

According to the Law of conservation of energy, Ek, Eg and W should equal each other or be very close to each other but no matter what, I can't get them to equal each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous12 said:

Homework Statement

For our Work-Energy lab, we are supposed to prove that W = Eg = Ek but no matter what I do, my Eg doesn't not equal the Ek = W.

In this lab, we had a tray dangling via a string which is attached to a cart which is on a dynamic track made out of platinum. We let go of the cart (start the stop watch) and when the cart hits the metal beam (we stop the stop watch). We calculated the ∆h by measuring initial height - final height. What am I doing wrong in my calculations?

∆t = 1.03
mass of tray = .0199kg
∆h = .488m
∆d = 0.5m
a = .94m/s^2
vf = 0.9682m/s

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ek = .5mv^2

Eg = .0199 x 9.8 x .488
Eg = 0.95J

Ek = 0.119J

W = a x m x ∆d
= .94 x .25468 x .5
= 0.119J

According to the Law of conservation of energy, Ek, Eg and W should equal each other or be very close to each other but no matter what, I can't get them to equal each other.

Due to the inability of a human to operate a stop watch very well, it is an unsuitable instrument for measuring times less than 5 seconds with any precision.

You will only start the watch withing 0.1 sec of when you intended (at best) and will only stop it within 0.1 sec as well.
Thus any time you measure will be ± 0.2 seconds at best.
The time interval you are using about 1 second so you have a 20% uncertainty.
Indeed you probably only get times within 0.2 at start and finish so 40% uncertainty is almost assured.
Trends would seem to be the best you can hope for.

anonymous12 said:

Homework Statement

∆t = 1.03
mass of tray = .0199kg
∆h = .488m
∆d = 0.5m
a = .94m/s^2
vf = 0.9682m/s

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ek = .5mv^2

Eg = .0199 x 9.8 x .488
Eg = 0.95J

Ek = 0.119J

W = a x m x ∆d
= .94 x .25468 x .5
= 0.119J

I think one of the "=" signs [in red above] is supposed to be a "+" sign?

It is not actually clear to me how you are performing this experiment, and what you have measured?

Related to Why do my energy calculations not equal each other in this Work-Energy lab?

1. What does the equation "Eg does not equal W = Ek" mean?

The equation "Eg does not equal W = Ek" is a mathematical expression that represents the concept of energy conservation. It states that the potential energy (Eg) of an object is not equal to the work (W) done on the object, but is equal to the kinetic energy (Ek) gained by the object.

2. How is this equation relevant to science?

This equation is relevant to science because it is a fundamental principle of energy conservation. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, to understand and analyze the transfer and transformation of energy in different systems and processes.

3. Can you provide an example of how this equation is used in real-life scenarios?

One example is a rollercoaster ride. When the rollercoaster car is at the top of a hill, it has a high potential energy. As it goes down the hill, its potential energy decreases, but its kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of the hill, the potential energy is zero and all the energy is converted to kinetic energy. This follows the principle of "Eg does not equal W = Ek".

4. Is this equation always true in all situations?

Yes, this equation is always true in all situations as long as there is no external force acting on the system. In the absence of external forces, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

5. How does this equation relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The equation "Eg does not equal W = Ek" is a mathematical representation of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The equation shows that the total energy of a system (Eg + Ek) remains constant, demonstrating the principle of energy conservation.