Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy in a Cart Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a lab setup involving a cart attached to a string and hanging masses. The individual is asking for help with their calculations, specifically regarding the work done by tension and the change in kinetic energy of the cart. They are unsure of which mass to use in their calculations and whether or not to consider the potential energy of the hanging mass. The mentor suggests possible explanations for the discrepancies in the data and advises the individual to only use the mass of the cart for calculations involving the tension in the string. They also mention that considering the potential energy of the hanging mass can be a useful check for the accuracy of the data, but it is not necessary for the calculations.
sallychan
Mentor's Note: This post and another have been merged at the member's request in order to attach their results.

1. Homework Statement

See the attached picture for the lab setup. It is all about releasing a cart of 1.212 kg attached with a string and hanging masses.
I recorded the Initial and final velocity, initial and finial position, and the tension force .

Ps. I follow the instructions on the lab manual to do calculations. It did not say I have to consider potential energy.

Homework Equations

The work done by tension is supposed to equal to the change in kinetic energy of the cart, but I don't know why I can't get that result.
So I wonder which mass should I use to calculate the Change in Kinetic Energy of the Cart? The mass of the hanging mass only? The mass of the cart only? Or the total mass of the system?

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done by tension = Tension force x (final position - initial position)

Change in Kinetic Energy of the Cart = 1/2 MVfinal2 - 1/2 MVinitial2I appreciate your help!

Data collected with computer:
date.png

Calculations

cal.png

The problem is that Change in KE and the Work Done by Tension have huge difference!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 492
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the tension in the string?

Where does the KE of the cart come from? Where is that energy initially?

I use computer to collect data for tension. I guess the energy of the dart comes from the hanging mass.

PeroK said:
How did you calculate the tension in the string?

Where does the KE of the cart come from? Where is that energy initially?
I use computer to collect data for tension. I guess the energy of the dart comes from the hangingmass.

sallychan said:
I use computer to collect data for tension. I guess the energy of the dart comes from the hangingmass.

What answers did you get and why do you think they are wrong?

PeroK said:
What answers did you get and why do you think they are wrong?

The work done by tension is supposed to equal to the change in kinetic energy of the cart, but I don't know why I can't get that result. There is a huge difference between the work and change in kinetic energy.

How can anyone help if you don't say what results you've got? Your computer could be giving you the wrong answer.

I've merged sallychan's latest post with the original in order to add the results. Please see the original post once more.

The numbers clearly don't add up in a number of ways. How does a computer measure tension in a string? If the tension is measured incorrectly, then that would explain some of your problems.

Part of the problem might be that you are adding the mass of the hanging weight in yout KE calculation.
sallychan said:
Mentor's Note: This post and another have been merged at the member's request in order to attach their results.

1. Homework Statement

See the attached picture for the lab setup. It is all about releasing a cart of 1.212 kg attached with a string and hanging masses.
I recorded the Initial and final velocity, initial and finial position, and the tension force .

Ps. I follow the instructions on the lab manual to do calculations. It did not say I have to consider potential energy.

Homework Equations

The work done by tension is supposed to equal to the change in kinetic energy of the cart, but I don't know why I can't get that result.
So I wonder which mass should I use to calculate the Change in Kinetic Energy of the Cart? The mass of the hanging mass only? The mass of the cart only? Or the total mass of the system?

The Attempt at a Solution

Work done by tension = Tension force x (final position - initial position)

Change in Kinetic Energy of the Cart = 1/2 MVfinal2 - 1/2 MVinitial2I appreciate your help!

Data collected with computer:
View attachment 80065

Calculations

View attachment 80066

The problem is that Change in KE and the Work Done by Tension have huge difference!

I'd say the most likely explanations are:

a) The cart is only about 0.6 Kg.

b) The computer measures the tension at about half what it really is.

c) The computer measures the final velocity greater than it really is.

d) The cart is on a slight downslope.

Note that if you do consider PE of the hanging mass you have the added problem that the KE of the cart is greater than the PE lost by the hanging mass.

In other words, you've found significant experimental errors in the set-up.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
The numbers clearly don't add up in a number of ways. How does a computer measure tension in a string? If the tension is measured incorrectly, then that would explain some of your problems.

Part of the problem might be that you are adding the mass of the hanging weight in yout KE calculation.I'd say the most likely explanations are:

a) The cart is only about 0.6 Kg.

b) The computer measures the tension at about half what it really is.

c) The computer measures the final velocity greater than it really is.

d) The cart is on a slight downslope.

Note that if you do consider PE of the hanging mass you have the added problem that the KE of the cart is greater than the PE lost by the hanging mass.

In other words, you've found significant experimental errors in the set-up.
Yea I guess the data I got is probably not accurate.

By the way,I am just asking, when I calculate the KE of the cart, should I use the mass of the cart only or the total mass of the system?
And should I consider PE of the hanging mass?

You don't need the PE of the hanging mass, although it was a useful check that your data made sense, or not.

If you are using the tension in the string, then the work done is accelerating the cart, so you should only use the mass of the cart.

Likes sallychan
PeroK said:
You don't need the PE of the hanging mass, although it was a useful check that your data made sense, or not.

If you are using the tension in the string, then the work done is accelerating the cart, so you should only use the mass of the cart.

Got it. Thank you so much for clearing up my confusions :)

Related to Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy in a Cart Experiment

1. What is the purpose of the Work Energy Theorem lab?

The purpose of the Work Energy Theorem lab is to demonstrate the relationship between work and energy, and to understand how the principle of conservation of energy applies to different types of systems.

2. What materials are needed for the lab?

The materials needed for the lab may vary depending on the specific experiment, but generally include a track, a cart or object to be used for demonstration, a force sensor, and various weights or springs for applying forces.

3. How is work calculated in the lab?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to many real-world situations, such as calculating the work done by a person lifting a box or a car accelerating on a road. It is a fundamental principle in physics and has many practical applications.

5. What are some potential sources of error in the lab?

Potential sources of error in the lab may include friction between the cart and the track, inaccuracies in measuring distances or forces, and variations in the starting position of the cart. It is important to take multiple measurements and average the results to minimize these errors.