Why Do I Keep Getting the Wrong Answer in My Differential Equations Problem?

In summary: I tried solving for x and getting-5x^3+10x+15I then switched the signs and got-5x^2+10x+15but I'm still not sure if I got it right.In summary, the student is having difficulty solving for x in the equation 7=\frac{14}{1000}-\frac{\sqrt{2951}}{1000}B. The student has tried differentiating and solving for x but is still not sure if they got the answer right.
mr_coffee
Look whos back! I ran into another problem, i redid the problem twice and i keep coming out with the same answer!
here is what i have:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6205/lastscan5qw.jpg
This is waht I submitted which was wrong:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/d3/290d3b430db500dfaef04358236c001.png
This is what
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're having trouble doing it with sine and cosine, do it the old fashioned Ae^r1x + Be^r2x way using the complex roots. (It's an alternative method and chances are you'll make less mistakes)

If that is what you actually submitted, you might want to compare it closely to your handwritten answer- do you notice some missing parentheses?

Pseudo, this program that evaluates the expressions tells us to not use that form becuase it won't evaluate complex expressions inside the e^, so I have to use sin/cos. :(

Thanks i didn't catch that halls but it still told me, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I think i shall e-mail the professor and see if its corrrect and the program might just b f'ed up.
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/3d/4a14ab68c9143ae5c68ed8af6e5ba91.png

Again, like last time, your differentiation is wrong! You seem to forget that there is a fraction in the exponential; your didn't include the denominator (1000) in the differentiation! It is the exact same mistake you did last time. I suggest you carefully go through the differentiation again.

Last edited:
Okay i redid it, I'm not sure if its right t hough becuase the webhomeworks happen to be down. but this is what I got:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6735/lastscan1rm.jpg

I ended up with the equation

[tex]7=\frac{14}{1000}-\frac{\sqrt{2951}}{1000}B[/tex]

so B should be

[tex]B=-\frac{6896}{\sqrt{2951}}[/tex]

However, I could have made a mistake. :smile:

Hm...I tried my answer and your answer, switching the signs as well but can't seem to get it right.
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/02/a1ed9e2620a00e5df238eb7b1954831.png

Related to Why Do I Keep Getting the Wrong Answer in My Differential Equations Problem?

1. What is "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ"?

"Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ" is a mathematical equation that represents a second-order ordinary differential equation (ODE) with complex roots. It is a part of the field of differential equations, which deals with the study of functions and their derivatives.

2. How is this equation different from other ODEs?

This equation is different from other ODEs because it has complex roots, which means that the solutions to the equation involve complex numbers. This makes the analysis and solution of the equation more complex and challenging.

3. What are the applications of "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ"?

"Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ" has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, including electrical circuits, population dynamics, and chemical reactions.

4. How can one solve "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ"?

Solving "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ" involves finding the general solution to the equation, which can be done using various techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. However, the complexity of the equation may require advanced mathematical skills and tools.

5. What are some tips for studying "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ" effectively?

Studying "Another complex r00ts 2nd ODE gahh i <3 DiffEQ" effectively requires a strong understanding of basic concepts in calculus and differential equations. It is essential to practice solving similar equations and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Additionally, using visualization tools and real-life examples can make the learning process easier and more interesting.