Diff EQ, did i mess up on a natural log rule?wee

In summary, the problem the person is having is that they are not getting the correct answer for the IVP when they plug in their answers and use their calculator. They are also having errors in their partial fraction decomposition.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone the problem I am messing up is:
. Solve the following initial value problem:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9037/lastscan4vl.jpg

When pluggin in answers and using my calculator to evaluate, its saying NON-REAL numbers, I'm messing up hardcore somewhere but not sure where anyone know what rules I'm breaking, I'm sure its a few! :bugeye:
The answer I submitted was the following:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/85/b54e0bb4299f47fff95c0da1243c441.png
Which was wrong! wee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your partial fraction decomposition but your working (apart from the exponentiation of the sum of logs) looks right.

It would be much easier to just write A = exp(c). That way you can avoid taking logs and the expressions will be neater. It also allows you to 'fudge' an answer. Also, when you look logs of both sides to solve for c, you can't just insert a modulus sign just because it's convenient.

If you write the DE in the form [itex]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = f\left( {x,y} \right)[/itex] you will find [itex]f\left( {x,y} \right) = \frac{y}{{t^2 - 14t + 13}}[/itex] where [itex]\frac{{\partial f}}{{\partial y}} = \frac{1}{{t^2 - 14t + 13}}[/itex] is not continuous at (x,y) = (1,7). So you are not guaranteed to obtain a unique solution to the IVP. This question looks a little strange. Hopefully someone with more knowledge in this area can help you out.

Edit: [tex]\exp \left( {\frac{1}{{12}}\log \left| {t - 13} \right| - \frac{1}{2}\log \left| {t - 1} \right| + c} \right)[/tex]

[tex]
= \exp \left( {\log \left( {\frac{{\left| {t - 13} \right|^{\frac{1}{{12}}} }}{{\sqrt {\left| {t - 1} \right|} }}} \right) + c} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
= \exp \left( c \right)\exp \left( {\log \left( {\frac{{\left| {t - 13} \right|^{\frac{1}{{12}}} }}{{\sqrt {\left| {t - 1} \right|} }}} \right)} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
= \exp \left( c \right)\left( {\frac{{\left( {t - 13} \right)^{\frac{1}{{12}}} }}{{\sqrt {t - 1} }}} \right)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Did you notice you had ln|y|= ... and on the next line y= ...

What happened to the absolute value? Here's a suggestion: instead of eC, just write C' (actually, I would just replace eC with C reminding myself that the two "C"s represent different values).
Since C is an unknown constant, eC is also an unknown constant. Technically, eC must be positive. But allowing C' to take any value allows for the absolute value.

Also you do have an error in your partial fractions decomposition: if
[tex]\frac{1}{t^2- 14t+ 13}= \frac{A}{t-13}+ \frac{B}{t-1}[/tex]
then A= [itex]\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and B= [itex]-\frac{1}{12}[/itex].

That means that your general solution should be
[tex]ln|y|= \frac{1}{12}ln(t- 13)- \frac{1/12}ln(t-1)+ C= ln\left(\frac{t-13}{t-1}\right)^{\frac{1}{12}}+C[/tex]
so that
[tex]y= C'\left(\frac{t-13}{t-1}\right)^\frac{1}{12}[/tex]
Now put x= 7 and y= 1.

hey thanks guys, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I tried your method Ivey but i got:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/aa/2a12367d8818b7d320d3d47e99c1af1.png
I solved for C', and ended up getting C' = 1. But I had to fudge some answers, becuase i ended up with:
1 = C'(-1)^(1/12) which isn't allowed.
so i assumed
1 = C'|-1|^(1/12), in the end i screwed up because it says its inncorrect. This is what I did:
y = C'((t-13)/(t-1))^(1/12);
1 = C' ((7-13)/(7-1))^(1/12);
1 = C'(-1)^(1/12);

I plugged in Y = 1, and t = 7, any ideas? Thanks! :bugeye:

Looks like you have done the partial fractions correctly.

But don't forget that
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x}= ln\left|x\right|+ C[/tex]
NOT ln(x)!

The integral, then is
[tex]\int \frac{dy}{y}= \frac{1}{12}\left(\int\frac{dt}{t-13}-\frac{dt}{t-1}\right)[/tex]
so
[tex]ln|y|= \frac{1}{12}\left(ln|t-13|- ln|t-1|\right)+ C= \frac{1}{12}ln\left|\frac{t-13}{t-1}\right|+ C[/tex]
(don't forget the absolute value signs)
Taking exp of both sides:
[tex]y= C'\left|\frac{t-13}{t-1}\right|^{\frac{1}{12}}[/tex].

When x= 7, y= 1 so
[tex]1= C'\left|\frac{-6}{6}\right|^{\frac{1}{12}}= C'[/tex]

thanks for the explanation Ivey, so the answer would be, y = |(t-13)/(t-1)|^(1/12) right? i submitted that and it was wrong or am i misunderstanding somthing? I do that a lot hah.

You are submitting that to an auto-site? I hate those things- the don't distinguish alternate ways of writing the same answer!

The initial value is at x= 7 which is between 1 and 13. For all x between 7 and 13, [itex]\frac{t-13}{t-1}[/itex] is negative so you might try [itex]y= -\frac{t-13}{t-1}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{13-t}{t-1}[/itex] or [itex]\frac{t-13}{1-t}[/itex].

Related to Diff EQ, did i mess up on a natural log rule?wee

1. What is Diff EQ?

Diff EQ, short for differential equations, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of equations involving derivatives. It is commonly used to model and analyze the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some common types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). Each type has its own unique properties and applications.

3. What is the natural log rule?

The natural log rule, also known as the logarithmic differentiation rule, is a technique used to simplify the differentiation of functions that involve natural logarithms. It states that the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1/x.

4. Can I mess up on the natural log rule?

Yes, it is possible to make mistakes when applying the natural log rule. Common errors include forgetting to apply the chain rule or not properly simplifying the resulting expression. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Diff EQ and the natural log rule?

To improve your understanding of Diff EQ and the natural log rule, it is important to practice solving various types of differential equations and problems involving logarithmic differentiation. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any concepts or techniques that you may be struggling with.