Why Do Angular Accelerations Differ for Two Pivoted Rods of Varying Lengths?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of two uniform rods connected to a table by pivots at one end. It is stated that the angular acceleration of both rods, αA and αB, are dependent on the initial angle θ. It is also noted that the rods do not hit the table at the same time and that their angular accelerations both increase with time. The conversation also includes a discussion about the initial acceleration and speed of the center of mass, as well as the use of equations to calculate these values. However, there is confusion about the use of these equations and the consideration of kinetic energy and height in relation to the center of mass.
zhenyazh
hi,
could some on help me understand why the following is true?
for some of them i wrote exactly what i don't understand, for others
i really have no idea

Two uniform rods are connected to a table by pivots at one end. Rod B is longer than rod A. Both are released simultaneously from an initial angle θ. Neglect air friction. NOTATION: CM = center of mass; α = angular acceleration; |ay|= size of downward acceleration.

True: αA and αB are dependent on θ.
just don't understand why.

False: |ax| of the CM initially equals 0 for both rods.
this would be false because of the centr. force right?

True: |ay| is initially equal for the CM of A and B.
that is because it is g right?
True: Just before landing, the CM of B has a greater speed than the CM of A.
why so? i found an explanation on the internet but there they comapered mgh to 0.5Iw^2
and from there proved b's speed is larger therefore the answer.
but why can i use such an equation? why do i not take into consideration the kinetic energy
of center of mass and how do i define the height here? according to the center of mass?

False: Rods A and B hit the table at the same time.

False: αA and αB are the same initially.

True: αA and αB both increase with time.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zhenyazh said:
True: αA and αB are dependent on θ.
just don't understand why.
How do you find the angular acceleration? What's Newton's 2nd law for rotation?

False: |ax| of the CM initially equals 0 for both rods.
this would be false because of the centr. force right?
Find the initial acceleration of the CM by first finding the initial angular acceleration.

True: |ay| is initially equal for the CM of A and B.
that is because it is g right?
The initial acceleration is not g. (It's not in free fall.)

True: Just before landing, the CM of B has a greater speed than the CM of A.
why so? i found an explanation on the internet but there they comapered mgh to 0.5Iw^2
and from there proved b's speed is larger therefore the answer.
but why can i use such an equation? why do i not take into consideration the kinetic energy
of center of mass and how do i define the height here? according to the center of mass?
If you measure I from the axis of rotation, you are automatically including the KE of the center of mass. The change in gravitational PE can be measured by the change in height of the center of mass.

False: Rods A and B hit the table at the same time.

False: αA and αB are the same initially.

True: αA and αB both increase with time.
Figure out α as a function of θ.

Related to Why Do Angular Accelerations Differ for Two Pivoted Rods of Varying Lengths?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to acceleration?

Torque and acceleration are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that an object with a greater torque will experience a greater acceleration.

3. How does changing the direction of the force affect torque and acceleration?

The direction of the force applied to an object has a significant impact on the torque and acceleration. If the force is applied perpendicular to the direction of motion, it will produce a greater torque and thus a greater acceleration. On the other hand, if the force is applied parallel to the direction of motion, it will have no effect on the torque and acceleration.

4. What is the role of mass in torque and acceleration?

The mass of an object is a crucial factor in determining its torque and acceleration. Objects with a greater mass will require a greater torque to produce the same amount of acceleration as an object with less mass. This is because a greater mass means there is more inertia to overcome.

5. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is directly responsible for rotational motion. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate. This is why torque is often referred to as a turning or twisting force.