Why Did Krylov Choose a Tippe Top for His Avatar?

• Thread starter S.G. Janssens
  • Start date
In summary, physical motivation is the drive to engage in physical activity and is important for maintaining overall physical health and well-being. Factors such as individual characteristics, environmental factors, and psychological factors can influence physical motivation. Strategies for increasing physical motivation include setting achievable goals, finding enjoyable activities, and surrounding oneself with supportive people. The potential consequences of low physical motivation include a sedentary lifestyle and negative impacts on physical and mental health.
S.G. Janssens
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Hello all,

A.N. Krylov was a Russian naval engineer and applied mathematician. Although I'm not Russian myself, I decided to borrow his name for this forum, because I find him admirable. I'd like to extend my greetings to you all, hoping that I will now and then be able to contribute to answering questions while learning myself.

My training is in mathematics, with an emphasis on applications of functional analysis to numerical analysis and dynamical systems, particularly those involving delayed feedback. After losing interest in the natural sciences for a while, I have recently found examples from classical physics and engineering very beautiful and motivating, particularly those stemming from mechanics.

My best wishes,

Krylov.

P.S. My avatar is a picture of a "tippe top", one of my all-time favorite physical systems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Krylov and welcome to physicforums!

My kids brought home some of those things in your picture the other day. I am intrigued by them. I tried to figure out how they work - why they turn upside-down when spinning - but I couldn't. Do you know how?

Welcome to PF! Some famous physicists have also been interested in the tippe top. For example, here are Wolfgang Pauli and Niels Bohr:

959.jpg

Thank you all for your welcoming replies!

@andrewkirk: I'm sorry, but at the moment I cannot give you a satisfactory answer, other than that dissipation (dry friction) seems to play a crucial role: it gives rise to a torque on the stem of the top that in turn causes the top's inversion. This system only recently came to my attention again, and it was one of the factors that motivated me to start re-discovering (and this time, hopefully truly understanding!) what I learned a few years ago in the lectures on classical mechanics about rigid body motion. The wikipedia page about the tippe top has some old as well as recent references, but you probably found that out already.

By the time I will be able to do better, I might return to you privately. Maybe other more knowledgeable members can already tell more, but then I suggest to do this in a separate topic.

@jtbell: Thank you, I knew that photo and it's good it appears here. It is indeed very entertaining to see these two giants of quantum mechanics intrigued by a purely classical phenomenon!

Welcome to the PF, Krylov!

And yes, this forum is just for new member introductions, so if folks want to discuss the physics of this tippe top, it would be best to start a new thread in the General Physics forum. :smile:

Or if you're going to get into a serious mathematical analysis, the Classical Physics forum.

Likes berkeman

Related to Why Did Krylov Choose a Tippe Top for His Avatar?

What is physical motivation?

Physical motivation refers to the drive or desire to engage in physical activity or exercise. It is the internal force that compels an individual to move their body and engage in physical movement.

Why is physical motivation important?

Physical motivation is important because it plays a crucial role in maintaining overall physical health and well-being. Regular physical activity has numerous health benefits, including reducing the risk of chronic diseases, improving mental health, and increasing overall quality of life.

What factors influence physical motivation?

There are several factors that can influence physical motivation, including individual characteristics such as personality and self-efficacy, environmental factors such as access to facilities and social support, and psychological factors such as motivation and goal-setting.

How can I increase my physical motivation?

There are several strategies that can help increase physical motivation, such as setting achievable goals, finding an enjoyable form of physical activity, surrounding yourself with supportive people, and rewarding yourself for reaching milestones. Additionally, focusing on the positive benefits of physical activity, rather than the effort it takes, can also help increase motivation.

What are the potential consequences of low physical motivation?

Low physical motivation can lead to a sedentary lifestyle, which can have negative impacts on physical and mental health. Lack of physical activity has been linked to an increased risk of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and depression. It can also lead to a decrease in overall energy levels and quality of life.