Why aren't less massive objects also spherical like planets and moons?

In summary, given that gravity pulls things together into spheres, smaller objects such as asteroids, meteors, and that bench in the park don't turn into spheres, because they lack enough gravitational force to dominate the shape. So at approximately how massive do objects need to be to condense into a sphere?
Ethan Singer
given that gravity pulls things together into spheres, how much mass is needed to do so? Smaller objects such as asteroids, meteors, and that bench in the park don't just turn into spheres, because they lack enough gravitational force to dominate the shape. So at approximately how massive do objects need to be to condense into a sphere?

you would think that the gravity needed to overcome the force of it's constituent particles shaping themselves into a park bench wouldn't be that large... Wouldn't denser objects condense into a sphere, because there's more gravitational influence per cubic meter? In fact, wouldn't the size of objects such as park benches floating in space give us a clue into their composition, because larger non-spheracle objects might be less dense and therefore exert less gravity?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ethan Singer said:
...you would think that the gravity needed to overcome the force of it's constituent particles shaping themselves into a park bench wouldn't be that large...
Well, YOU might think that but anyone who has studied physics wouldn't.

Wouldn't denser objects condense into a sphere, because there's more gravitational influence per cubic meter?
, by that logic, any large metal object should condense into a sphere. You may have noticed that they don't.

In fact, wouldn't the size of objects such as park benches floating in space give us a clue into their composition
No
because larger non-spheracle objects might be less dense and therefore exert less gravity?
No clear what you mean by that.

Furthermore, If the Earth weren't a sphere, suppose it's gravity wasn't enough to condense it into it, how would we know?
We're clever. We'd figure it out
Could we measure such a difference?
yes
What if it's a lot bumpy-er than Nasa let's us know?
OK, if you are going start a conspiracy theory that NASA is lying to us, you need to find another forum to do it on.
Why aren't mountains shown on the "globe"?
Because they don't stick out far enough
What if it's not even flat, but a tetrahedron? Tetrahedrons would have giant pointy things going out to space you know... Now there's your conspiracy.
Again, that's not a discussion for this forum

Likes Ethan Singer
PS: the Earth has a tummy bulge problem at the equator, so it is not a true sphere anyway. It is best represented by an oblate spheroid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth.

FWIW the shape of the Earth was correctly known long before we had NASA or satellites. Isaac Newton found it.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

@Ethan Singer Please stop alluding to nonsense, it is the fast track to thread closure.

Likes Ethan Singer
"by that logic, any large metal object should condense into a sphere. You may have noticed that they don't"

By large I meant larger than a park bench, but smaller than the moon. When I said denser objects would most likely become spheres, I should've clarified:

Suppose you're in space and have a magic machine that can produce uranium out of nothing. No, you have TWO machines that produce Uranium and Lead out of nothing (and at the same rate). So you start producing a clump of uranium here, and a clump of Lead there. I say that the clump of uranium will even out and become a sphere before that lead clump does, because the uranium has more mass, and would exert more force per cubic area. Now obviously the clump would have to be really large, and the pump would have to be on for a loooong time, but you get my point.

"OK, if you are going start a conspiracy theory that NASA is lying to us"

Poe's law. That entire third paragraph was a joke... I figured it'd be obvious. Deleting it.

Ethan Singer said:
Suppose you're in space and have a magic machine that can produce uranium out of nothing. No, you have TWO machines that produce Uranium and Lead out of nothing (and at the same rate). So you start producing a clump of uranium here, and a clump of Lead there. I say that the clump of uranium will even out and become a sphere before that lead clump does, because the uranium has more mass, and would exert more force per cubic area. Now obviously the clump would have to be really large, and the pump would have to be on for a loooong time, but you get my point.
Yes, I think (aside from the impossibility of actually doing what you state) that you are correct assuming the clumps have the same size and shape but different masses
Poe's law. That entire third paragraph was a joke... I figured it'd be obvious. Deleting it.
Once a post has been replied to, modifying it is bad form. You can add a comment at the end (if you get to it soon enough, since edit ability lapses after some number of hours) or just make a note in a subsequent post.

Likes fresh_42
Ethan Singer said:
Smaller objects such as asteroids, meteors, and that bench in the park don't just turn into spheres, because they lack enough gravitational force to dominate the shape. So at approximately how massive do objects need to be to condense into a sphere?

No, that isn't the reason
Ethan Singer said:
Suppose you're in space and have a magic machine that can produce uranium out of nothing. No, you have TWO machines that produce Uranium and Lead out of nothing (and at the same rate). So you start producing a clump of uranium here, and a clump of Lead there. I say that the clump of uranium will even out and become a sphere before that lead clump does, because the uranium has more mass, and would exert more force per cubic area. Now obviously the clump would have to be really large, and the pump would have to be on for a loooong time,

if it ( the masses of lead and uranium) is already solid or near solid, then it won't produce a sphere
Ethan Singer said:
but you get my point.

no, because you haven't thought this throughdo you know or understand WHEN and WHY/HOW the earth, moon, other planets etc became spheres ?Dave

davenn said:
f it ( the masses of lead and uranium) is already solid or near solid, then it won't produce a sphere
Dammit, you're right. I hate it when you do that :smile:

Likes davenn
A sufficiently large clump of uranium or lead will form a sphere. “Solid” just means there is some resistance, but solids are not magical objects. At some point gravity wins and makes a sphere out of it (or a spheroid, with rotation). For the same reason Earth cannot have 20 km tall mountains (but Mars with its lower surface gravity can).
For typical rocks in the solar system the critical size is somewhere around 1000 km diameter. Uranium has a much higher density but it is also a stronger material, I don’t know what wins. Lead is quite weak.

Likes Ethan Singer
mfb said:
A sufficiently large clump of uranium or lead will form a sphere. “Solid” just means there is some resistance, but solids are not magical objects. At some point gravity wins and makes a sphere out of it (or a spheroid, with rotation). For the same reason Earth cannot have 20 km tall mountains (but Mars with its lower surface gravity can).
For typical rocks in the solar system the critical size is somewhere around 1000 km diameter. Uranium has a much higher density but it is also a stronger material, I don’t know what wins. Lead is quite weak.
But you understand where I am trying to get the OP to consider

the Earth and other planets etc, forms their spherical shape when they were, for the most part, still molten. When, under the influence of gravity, forming spheres is very easy.

Dave

The planets form molten for the same reason they get spherical. The gravitational energy is larger than the binding energy between atoms in the solids (apart from some prefactors) - the impacts release enough energy to melt the material. Smaller asteroids don't melt from impacts.

Well, it was a very rough estimate. In terms of experimental results: Vesta with 520 km mean diameter is not very round, Ceres with 900 km is round. All other asteroids with a measured shape are either smaller than Vesta or larger than Ceres.
Iapetus at 1500 km is not in hydrostatic equilibrium, while Enceladus at just 250 km is - but with an ocean and an ice crust that is not surprising.

Related to Why aren't less massive objects also spherical like planets and moons?

1. Why do planets and moons have a spherical shape?

Planets and moons have a spherical shape due to the force of gravity. When a large mass, such as a planet, has enough gravity, it pulls all of its material towards its center, creating a spherical shape.

2. Why aren't smaller objects, like rocks or asteroids, also spherical?

Smaller objects, such as rocks and asteroids, do not have enough mass and therefore do not have enough gravitational force to pull all of their material towards their center. As a result, they do not form a spherical shape.

3. Can smaller objects become spherical over time?

Yes, smaller objects can become spherical over time if they have enough mass and gravity. Over millions of years, the force of gravity can cause smaller objects to pull their material towards their center, eventually forming a spherical shape.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of smaller objects not being spherical?

Yes, some smaller objects, such as icy or liquid bodies, can also become spherical due to their properties. For example, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn are not massive enough to be spherical, but they have a liquid or icy surface that allows them to form a spherical shape.

5. How does the speed of rotation affect the shape of an object?

The speed of rotation does not have a significant impact on the shape of an object. The force of gravity is the primary factor in determining the shape of an object. However, a fast enough rotation can cause an object to have an oblate shape, meaning it is wider at the equator than at the poles.