How many electrons to make a stable gravitational object?

In summary: I'll take that as a yes 😂 But not so fast. We've still got neutrinos. They don't have charge. So I know you can make a gravitational object out of them 😃 So, indulge me. How many would it take?
Feynstein100
I was wondering if we could have an object made up of only electrons. Normally, that wouldn't be possible because electrons repel each other. However, this repulsion can be overcome using gravity. So my question is, how many electrons would you need to have their gravitational attraction overcome the electromagnetic repulsion and form a stable object? Or perhaps is the charge-to-mass ratio of the electron such that the electromagnetic repulsion will always be higher than the gravitational attraction and thus preclude such an object?
Of course, an object like that would not form naturally since the electromagnetic force has the tendency to self-limit via neutralization. So for our purposes, we assume that there aren't any positively charged particles nearby to neutralize our object. There are only electrons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feynstein100 said:
So my question is, how many electrons would you need to have their gravitational attraction overcome the electromagnetic repulsion and form a stable object?
What did you find when you did your Google searches to compare the electrostatic force to the gravitational force at typical atomic lattice distances?

Likes Bystander
berkeman said:
What did you find when you did your Google searches to compare the electrostatic force to the gravitational force at typical atomic lattice distances?
That the electromagnetic force is 23 orders of magnitude stronger than gravity.
Feynstein100 said:
Or perhaps is the charge-to-mass ratio of the electron such that the electromagnetic repulsion will always be higher than the gravitational attraction and thus preclude such an object?
So I guess this is the answer?

Likes Dale
Feynstein100 said:
That the electromagnetic force is 23 orders of magnitude stronger than gravity.
Boom! :wink:

berkeman said:
Boom! :wink:
I'll take that as a yes 😂 But not so fast. We've still got neutrinos. They don't have charge. So I know you can make a gravitational object out of them 😃 So, indulge me. How many would it take?

Neutrinos don't like crowds, so that would not work. They also hate to be anthropomorphized, so I'll have to tie off this thread now before they get their neutrino union involved... :wink:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, phinds, anorlunda and 1 other person

1. How many electrons are needed to make a stable gravitational object?

The exact number of electrons needed to make a stable gravitational object is not known. It depends on various factors such as the mass and density of the object, as well as the distance between the electrons. However, it is believed that a large number of electrons would be required to create a significant gravitational force.

2. Can electrons alone create a stable gravitational object?

No, electrons alone cannot create a stable gravitational object. While electrons do have a small amount of mass and therefore exert a gravitational force, it is not significant enough to create a stable object on its own. Other particles such as protons and neutrons are needed to form an object with enough mass to create a strong gravitational force.

3. How does the number of electrons affect the stability of a gravitational object?

The number of electrons does not directly affect the stability of a gravitational object. However, the total mass of the object, which is determined by the number of electrons and other particles, does play a role in its stability. Objects with more mass have a stronger gravitational force and are more likely to be stable.

4. Can the number of electrons in a gravitational object change?

Yes, the number of electrons in a gravitational object can change. Electrons can be added or removed through various processes such as nuclear reactions or collisions with other particles. However, the overall mass and stability of the object may also be affected by these changes.

5. Is the number of electrons in a gravitational object related to its size?

The number of electrons in a gravitational object is not directly related to its size. The size of an object is determined by its mass and density. However, the number of electrons may indirectly affect the size if it contributes to the overall mass of the object. Objects with more electrons and therefore more mass may be larger in size.