Why are power resistors so hard to find?

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary, the speaker is excited about ordering two hard-to-find power resistors from an online surplus store. They are discussing their love for books and feeling like a nerd. They also mention being laughed at, but others explain that they are not laughing at them, just understanding their passion. The conversation ends with a suggestion to ask someone who knows them well for the true answer.
rachmaninoff
[SOLVED] Why me? I'm a geek!

I just ordered two hard-to-find power resistors from an online surplus store. I was very excited about it.

:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
rachmaninoff said:
I just ordered two hard-to-find power resistors from an online surplus store. I was very excited about it.

:smile: :smile:

I don't get it.. why you what?

:smile: :smile:

It's not nice if you laugh. :frown:

rachmaninoff said:

I feel that way about books :eek:

They are not laughing AT you, they are laughing with err ummm...ok darn it...they are.
Its only because they know the feeling you have. You should of seen how I behaved while waiting for a light blasting adapter for a microscope!

rachmaninoff said:
It's not nice if you laugh. :frown:
Not laughing at you, just recognizing that feeling.

I've sat down in a fast food restaurant for over an hour working through a math book... twice this week...

I read books alot. I Love reading them currently I am readin A Brief HIstory of time by Stephen Hawking. BUt i just can't help feel that i am a nerd.

blimkie said:
I read books alot. I Love reading them currently I am readin A Brief HIstory of time by Stephen Hawking. BUt i just can't help feel that i am a nerd.
Ask someone that knows you very well, that is not related. There inlays the true answer.

Related to Why are power resistors so hard to find?

1. Why are power resistors so hard to find?

Power resistors are often used in high-power applications, such as industrial machinery and power supplies, where they are required to dissipate large amounts of heat. As a result, they need to be physically larger and have a higher power rating compared to standard resistors. This makes them less common and harder to find.

2. Are there any alternatives to power resistors?

Yes, there are alternatives such as wirewound resistors, metal oxide film resistors, and thick film resistors which can handle higher power ratings. However, they may not be suitable for all applications and may have different characteristics compared to power resistors.

3. Can I use multiple standard resistors in place of a power resistor?

Technically, yes, you can use multiple standard resistors in series or parallel to achieve a higher power rating. However, this can be more complex and may not be as efficient as using a single power resistor. It is important to carefully calculate and consider the power dissipation requirements for your specific application.

4. Why do power resistors cost more than standard resistors?

Power resistors are larger and have a higher power rating, which requires more materials and manufacturing processes. Additionally, they may also need to be custom-made for specific applications, which can increase the cost. The demand for power resistors is also lower compared to standard resistors, making them less economically feasible for manufacturers to produce in large quantities.

5. Can I use a lower power rated resistor in place of a power resistor?

No, it is not recommended to use a lower power rated resistor in place of a power resistor. Power resistors are specifically designed to handle higher power dissipation, and using a lower power rated resistor can lead to overheating and potential failure. It is important to use the appropriate components for your specific application to ensure safety and reliability.