Who's Who in the PF Member Photo Thread Archive?

In summary, the conversation was about the importance of effective communication in relationships. The speakers discussed how communication can help resolve conflicts, build trust and understanding, and strengthen bonds. They also mentioned the importance of actively listening and being open and honest in communication. Additionally, they highlighted the negative effects of poor communication, such as misunderstandings and resentment. Overall, the conversation emphasized the crucial role of communication in maintaining healthy and fulfilling relationships.
dkotschessaa said:
Little guy before and after eye surgery. Holy wow! He got cuter again? I'm not sure this increasing level of cute is sustainable...

Our experience is the cute is sustainable at least until high school or the first time they wreck the car.

Likes dkotschessaa
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
at least until high school
Well, junior high school. Seventh-Grade-Itis.

Must be some evolutionary value to adolescent rebelliousness but i haven't figured it out.

Likes Dr. Courtney
jim hardy said:
Must be some evolutionary value to adolescent rebelliousness but i haven't figured it out.

A possible explanation:
Reduced cuteness (to parents) would promote them leaving (reduced attachment between parents and offspring) the family/local group (closely related gene pool) prior to breeding (increased likelihood of breeding non-relatives).
To some degree this seems typical teenage/ juvenile behavior in some mammals (as well as humans).
It could reduce inbreeding by reducing contact with those more closely related genetically.

Could be tied to maturation and hormone changes.

BillTre said:
A possible explanation:
Reduced cuteness (to parents) would promote them leaving (reduced attachment between parents and offspring) the family/local group (closely related gene pool) prior to breeding (increased likelihood of breeding non-relatives).
To some degree this seems typical teenage/ juvenile behavior in some mammals (as well as humans).
It could reduce inbreeding by reducing contact with those more closely related genetically.

Could be tied to maturation and hormone changes.

This has actually been researched..

http://hereandnow.legacy.wbur.org/2011/11/16/teen-brain-evolution

Likes davenn, Borek, BillTre and 1 other person
Me at a life-changing moment... the first time I met that monster :biggrin: and decided it would keep me busy for the next few years...
Because although a monster remember Beauty is found within.
IMG_20140311_155430.jpg

Likes collinsmark, sophiecentaur, Greg Bernhardt and 7 others
ChrisVer said:
Beauty is found within.
LHCb is a few kilometers to the right.

Likes ChrisVer
ChrisVer said:
Because although a monster remember Beauty is found within.
Where's the steam ?

Likes ChrisVer
I would like to post my photo. First I need to get a new webcam. Then some candles so there will be some light in the room. Also a Guy Fawkes mask. Finally a red rose, since that's my avatar.

Or I could just post a photo of someone who looks a lot like me. Although I would not do it for legal or just politeness reasons. I was amazed to find an apparent doppelgänger in a very surprising context. Creepy. Has anyone else come across a doppelgänger online? Would posting my doppelgänger be an example of "fair use?"

Likes OCR
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
First I need to get a new webcam. Then some candles so there will be some light in the room. Also a Guy Fawkes mask. Finally a red rose, since that's my avatar.
Don't forget to clean up the pizza boxes! :wink:

Likes OCR and Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Has anyone else come across a doppelgänger online?
Why yes, yes we have...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :biggrin:

old photographs 001.jpg

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Would posting my doppelgänger be an example of "fair use?"
Gee, not sure on that...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oops:

Likes collinsmark, DennisN, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
Forty years ago in May. Just post daguerreotype.
wedding  174.jpg

Likes collinsmark, Greg Bernhardt, Borek and 7 others
This was taken just a week ago. And no, as you might already guess, I didn't become croc food.

Wild Africa Trek 047.jpg

Zz.

Likes DrClaude, davenn, Greg Bernhardt and 4 others
Those crocs are looking scared!

Likes WWGD
sophiecentaur said:
Those crocs are looking scared!

They are scared only if they are croc-pots!

:kiss:

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
Sunrise before a Bike Medic shift last weekend at a half-marathon run. (turned out to be a very busy shift!)

Mermaid East Bay 2017 EMT at Start Full Resolution Purchased Adjusted Smaller.jpg

Likes collinsmark, DrClaude, davenn and 3 others
IMG_6924.jpg

So, I lost all my documents and to get new ones I had to take a picture of myself. I doubt this one will be accepted by authorities, but I admit I had plenty of fun :smile:

Likes Evo, collinsmark, DrClaude and 6 others
Borek said:
View attachment 204173

So, I lost all my documents and to get new ones I had to take a picture of myself. I doubt this one will be accepted by authorities, but I admit I had plenty of fun :smile:
What can I say? The berret is really stylish. (Haha - my auto correct made it "ferret")

Borek said:

That's the face you should definitely have I can say once you lose your documents!

sophiecentaur said:
Forty years ago in May. Just post daguerreotype.
View attachment 196472

do you still have that much hair or do you look more like Zz or myself ?? :-p

berkeman said:
Sunrise before a Bike Medic shift last weekend at a half-marathon run. (turned out to be a very busy shift!)

View attachment 203798

great shot :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Had a pint with @SammyS yesterday!

great shot, Greg and SammyS

so many don't have their gender in their profile, till now @SammyS I didn't know if your were male or female ... My daughter is Samantha aka Sam, Sammy

Borek said:
I doubt this one will be accepted by authorities, but I admit I had plenty of fun :smile:

tho you are looking so sad, it gave me a smile this morning ... I really like that photo :smile:Dave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
do you still have that much hair
Looks to me that Centaur has hair *everywhere* now! :biggrin:

Likes davenn
davenn said:
do you still have that much hair or do you look more like Zz or myself ?? :-p
A lot of me is falling apart but the hair, although an impressive White colour, is pretty rampant (not a hint of a bald spot - eat your hearts out you testosterone loaded alpha males) but I keep it pretty short (No 3 or 4 at the side).
We must stop now or we'll end up discussing which Products we use. ?:)

Likes davenn
time for an update, one from my workshop
as can be seen, my hair is slipping off the head and down around the chin :wink:

DSCF6100sm.jpg
Dave

Likes dlgoff, cnh1995, collinsmark and 6 others
Likes davenn
DrClaude said:
@davenn: I love that t-shirt!

yes ! ... it was one of two geology related ones that I bought from a tee-shirt seller advertising on FacebookD

davenn said:
yes ! ... it was one of two geology related ones that I bought from a tee-shirt seller advertising on FacebookD
BTW, what's that neat piece of hardware you are casually leaning on?

DrClaude said:
It's an interossiter, of course.!

Likes davenn
OK just for a bit of an off topic excursion :wink:

DrClaude said:

It's an optical collimator bench for the modern day theodolites ( UTS /TS = Universal Total Station / Total Station
or as affectionately known by surveyors as "jiggers")
here's a side on pic ...

2013_06_24_0031sm.jpg

the collimator telescope is on the left and has an illuminated crosshairs target and digital camera down at the left end
The total station (TS) unit is to the right and in this pic is facing away from the telescope
The TS's are supposed to be stripped down, cleaned and calibrated yearly ( if the owner is good)
Once I have stripped down and relub'ed bearings and cleaned etc, I then have to realign the optics in the TS and check the EDM
( Electronic Distance Measuring ) accuracy and do adjustments to correct any errors. The unit above is a high accuracy unit, accurate to
1mm +- 2mm and 1 sec of arc +- 2 sec at 300 metres. The high precision units are 1mm/1 sec +- 1mm/1sec @300 metres
They range in price from ~ AU$40,000 to $55,000 depending on the model and precision.
These units are made in your home country by a company that Trimble acquired.They are used for general surveying and for machine control
the one below is set up for machine control -- it is optically and radio linked to the machine in the background

SPS930.jpg
Dave

Likes cnh1995, berkeman, DennisN and 2 others
davenn said:
The unit above is a high accuracy unit, accurate to
1mm +- 2mm and 1 sec of arc +- 2 sec at 300 metres. The high precision units are 1mm/1 sec +- 1mm/1sec @300 metres
Holy smokes!

Likes davenn
I photographed a sunset today, and I also took a shady selfie. Just for this PF thread, I very seldom take selfies :smile:.
34102783803_2d0dfdb240_c.jpg

Likes collinsmark, DrClaude, jim hardy and 2 others
Hmm Emotive photo. Goes with Otis Redding's "Sittin' on the dock of the bay" .
'This Loneliness won't leave me alone,' eh ?

Likes fresh_42, davenn, berkeman and 1 other person
jim hardy said:
Hmm Emotive photo. Goes with Otis Redding's "Sittin' on the dock of the bay" .
'This Loneliness won't leave me alone,' eh ?
And I failed to heed the words of Nik Kershaw. :biggrin:

Likes jim hardy