Who sends more students to prestigious US grad schools?

In summary, Waterloo or Toronto?Waterloo has better chances of sending people to prestigious graduate schools than Toronto does. You should consider which university you want to attend based on what interests you the most and what opportunities they offer in terms of research.
nobelium102
Waterloo or Toronto?
and what are better chances
math or physics

please don't bother lecturing me about "prestigious matters" "do what you wish"
i have already had headaches thinking about those

I was originally thinking UT can't send much people to US grad because of low GPA average
but seems like they have better research opportunity than waterloo

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really ride the name of your undergrad institution to get into a good graduate school. It's pretty much on you to get into a program you like.

If university A sends more students to prestigious grad schools than university B does, it's not because those grad schools favor students from university A just because they went to university A. It's because university A admits more students in the first place who are likely to go on to prestigious grad schools, than university B does.

Another way of putting this is, "Great schools don't make great students; great students make great schools."

well said well said,,,But i still don't know which one to go to hahhahh

nobelium102 said:
well said well said,,,But i still don't know which one to go to hahhahh

Find a coin. Flip it. Done.

Although on a more serious note, look at the departments and look at what looks interesting in terms of the research they're doing.

Pengwuino said:
Find a coin. Flip it. Done.

Although on a more serious note, look at the departments and look at what looks interesting in terms of the research they're doing.
I like the coin idea, but I don't think looking at what research is going on is the best way of going about it. At the point of only beginning your undergraduate studies, this would probably just confuse you more than it would help you. You don't have the knowledge to separate a good website from good research going on, and even if you did, you don't know what your interests are going to be in a few years' time and whether you'll be able to get involved there. I would just go to the University of Toronto, since Toronto as a city offers much more than Waterloo (granted, I haven't been to any of the two yet :biggrin:).

Ryker said:
I like the coin idea, but I don't think looking at what research is going on is the best way of going about it. At the point of only beginning your undergraduate studies, this would probably just confuse you more than it would help you. You don't have the knowledge to separate a good website from good research going on, and even if you did, you don't know what your interests are going to be in a few years' time and whether you'll be able to get involved there. I would just go to the University of Toronto, since Toronto as a city offers much more than Waterloo (granted, I haven't been to any of the two yet :biggrin:).

True. Go to UT.

I always thought UBC is better university for physics

Ashuron said:
I always thought UBC is better university for physics
Oh, out of the two he mentioned? :biggrin:

Ryker said:
Oh, out of the two he mentioned? :biggrin:
i am a she, thank you :)

A lot of universitys have graduate surveys, some include the universies the alumni go to,
you could write the universties and inquire about that if youa re really interested.
(or maybe It is even on their website, have you looked?)

Related to Who sends more students to prestigious US grad schools?

1. Who sends more students to prestigious US grad schools: public or private universities?

The answer to this question is not straightforward as it depends on various factors such as the size and reputation of the university. However, according to data from the National Science Foundation, in recent years, private universities have sent more students to prestigious US grad schools than public universities.

2. What are some examples of prestigious US grad schools?

Some examples of prestigious US grad schools include Harvard University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley, and Columbia University. These universities are highly ranked and have a strong reputation for academic excellence.

3. Does the undergraduate institution impact a student's chances of getting into a prestigious US grad school?

Yes, the undergraduate institution can impact a student's chances of getting into a prestigious US grad school. Admissions committees often look at the reputation and academic rigor of the undergraduate institution when considering applicants. However, a student's academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation also play a significant role in the admissions process.

4. Are international students represented in prestigious US grad schools?

Yes, international students are represented in prestigious US grad schools. In fact, according to data from the Institute of International Education, international students make up about 25% of the total graduate student population in the US, with the majority coming from China, India, and South Korea.

5. How can a student improve their chances of getting into a prestigious US grad school?

To improve their chances of getting into a prestigious US grad school, a student should focus on maintaining a strong academic record, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. They should also carefully research and choose programs that align with their academic and career goals, and showcase their unique strengths and experiences in their application materials.